DAFNE Course

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all!
I'm going on the DAFNE course next week and I'm so nervous! I was wondering if anyone could give some tips or advice and share their experience?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did it a few weeks back it was amazing. Such a varied group of people . The information is invaluable. My b/s have been so much better since

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
no need to be nervous, its a great course and I,m sure you,ll be amazed and glad you did it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just enjoy the course, don't forget everyone else will be apprehensive too so your not alone, once the first morning session is over with you will feel more relaxed.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
You shouldn't be nervous, you should be excited. This is your chance to learn the ins and outs of T1.
It's the start of becoming fully self sufficient in your T1 management. I don't really agree with their diet guidelines but the mechanics of dose adjustment and correction will last you the rest of your life, well worth while.
You also get to spend 5 days with other T1s, always interesting to learn what others are doing.
Enjoy

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
I not only enjoyed the course but learnt so much too. Now my T1 management is great. I eat what I like and like what I eat. Have fun and enjoy yourself

Reactions: 2 people

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was lucky enough to do the course last year, and it has made such a difference to my life. It's helped me to understand properly how to manage my blood sugars (my HbA1c has gone from 9.6 to 6.9 and I'm hoping it'll be lower again at the next test) and the confidence to feel I'm more in control of them. The other people on the course were great - they all had such varied experiences to share. You'll be glad you did it, I'm sure.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You shouldn't be nervous, you should be excited. This is your chance to learn the ins and outs of T1.
It's the start of becoming fully self sufficient in your T1 management. I don't really agree with their diet guidelines but the mechanics of dose adjustment and correction will last you the rest of your life, well worth while.
You also get to spend 5 days with other T1s, always interesting to learn what others are doing.
Enjoy
i was told i dont eat enough Carbs a day when i was on the course, i stick to around 100G a day, but the principles still work even when applied to a lower carb diet, infact it has gotten me fairly stable, and its nice to know if im out for some reason i could have a dessert and adjust. up until now i just have avoided eatting inbetween meals all togeather.

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
i was told i dont eat enough Carbs a day when i was on the course, i stick to around 100G a day, but the principles still work even when applied to a lower carb diet, infact it has gotten me fairly stable, and its nice to know if im out for some reason i could have a dessert and adjust. up until now i just have avoided eatting inbetween meals all togeather.
Hi, yes I was like that before going on the DAFNE course. Now I eat when and what I like and simply adjust. I don't allow my bg to rise too high so if I am out and fancy a slice of carrot cake I will inject the insulin needed for that and the latte or cupoccino. I don't do this everyday just maybe twice a month.
I am pleased the course has opened up the many things you can eat that like me you avoided before the course. Good luck

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The DAFNE course was by far the best thing I went to. Met such good people who understood what it was like to be T1 and their was lots of good advice coming from other T1's with varying amounts of experience. I went in thinking I couldn't possibly learn something I didn't already know but I was so wrong I learnt so many new things. You'll enjoy it I'm sure! :)

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The DAFNE course is great. First time in 52years of being Type 1 met other Diabetics who you could relate to about Diabetes. Learnt so much and now on Pump age 74! Have a good time.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
Positively life changing! Can eat what I want, when I want, and have the knowledge to manage the highs, lows, illness, alcohol, exercise etc. still friends with my Dafne course mates! Nothing to worry about, it's good fun and very valuable. Enjoy!