Daily Blood Sugars

shaneo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hello all.
For the past month and a half or so I have had an acute increase in urination frequency, in addition to bizarre onsets of fatigue.
As a med student my mind hyperchondric mind jumped to diabetes and I booked an appointment with my gp. In the meantime I tested my urine and found glucose negative with slight increase of ketones.
After a normal FBG of 5.2mmol/l, I was dismissed and I agreed it was a probably some kind of uti. However the symptoms persisted far beyond the time of any bladder infection(literally pissing every 1-2.5 hours regardless of fluid consumption)
and worse I began to notice brief episodes of blurred vision following high carb meals.I also noticed a definitive reduction in frequency when I fasted during tthe day.
I returned to the gp and demanded a hba1c to which the result was 28mmol/l, lower than the average nondiabetic!
I then did a GTT which had a fasting 4.3 and post prandial 6.2. So we all agree I don't have t2, as I do too. And yet, to this day since early august I need to go every 2 hours and every time it is a clear high volume (15+/-5 second long) visit to the toilet. It is maddening getting up constantly at night, and these vision changes persist. I bought a BG meter and have had normal readings mostly, nothing over 6.5 over the course of a week and half bar a random pp of 8.6....has anybody had an experience like this!?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we all agree you're not diabetic, but what tests is he running? you may need to go back to the Dr and get a referral to a real Dr

The most common causes of frequent urination are diabetes, pregnancy and prostate problems.
Other causes of frequent urination include:
◾Anxiety
◾Medication, for example diuretics
◾Stroke, or other brain or nervous system condition
◾Infection of the prostate gland (prostatitis)
◾Enlarged prostate
◾Kidney infection
◾Tumour or mass in the pelvic area
◾Interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder wall)
◾Overactive bladder syndrome (unexplained, uncontrolled bladder contractions)
◾Cancer of the bladder
◾Dysfunction of the bladder
◾Bladder stones
◾Urinary incontinence
◾Abnormal opening (fistula) in the urinary tract
◾Radiation of the pelvis, e.g., to treat cancer
◾Diverticulitis (inflammation of diverticulosis, small, bulging sacs or pouches that can develop on the inner lining of the large intestine).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I could go two hours without peeing I would consider myself cured. Even at night I average 1.5 hours and during the day more frequently usually. You may be worrying unnecessarily since a two hour pee gap is normal for some people.

shaneo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If I could go two hours without peeing I would consider myself cured. Even at night I average 1.5 hours and during the day more frequently usually. You may be worrying unnecessarily since a two hour pee gap is normal for some people.

I suppose it's the norm for some people, but I could usually go only three times daily since the past month and half, it's weird...
Out of interest, how often would you go on a day of really good BG readings? Or does it have any impact at all?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
`It has no discernible impact at all. Really bad BG readings might result in shorter gaps for a night but then return to the situation already described. I can acquire bad BG readings if I drink wine at a social gathering or drink at home. The difference is that sometimes at a social gathering you can't always avoid the food.

In short, I described my personal norm but I can make it worse.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a frequency problem. Nothing to do with diabetes as it was years before I was diagnosed. It was almost out of hand in the mornings, better in the afternoon and evenings, and not so good at night. I had no medical problems at all, and it was like this for quite a few years. I read up on it and discovered a way to stop it. I trained my bladder to behave! Most of it was in my mind. I was expecting it, so it happened, and much of the morning frequency was pure habit. By holding myself in for at least 10 minutes, if not longer, my bladder got used to it. Bit by bit it improved, and I no longer have any problems.

shaneo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
`It has no discernible impact at all. Really bad BG readings might result in shorter gaps for a night but then return to the situation already described. I can acquire bad BG readings if I drink wine at a social gathering or drink at home. The difference is that sometimes at a social gathering you can't always avoid the food.

In short, I described my personal norm but I can make it worse.

Yes so far as I can tell with myself, there seems to be a postprandial increase in frequency, and reduction in colour. But the fact that on a particular day normal nondiabetic BG levels leave no discernible difference in frequency is puzzling, I was even told by a college professor (nephrology researcher) glycosuric diuresis can only usually occur beyond 8mmol/l

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty sure that my readings are not above 8mmol/l all day every day but my problem persists. To be honest the urge is sometimes greater than the quantity but not always.

I take an early walk in the woods every day and the walk takes me over an hour. I use the facilities three times or so during this walk. DN said I should avoid diuretics like tea and coffee but it does not make much/any difference,

I still think you don't have a problem other than a possible touch of hyperchondria as you suggested in your first post.