Daily Carb Counts - Curious

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I everyone, I’m a type 1 been using an insulin pump for the last 4 years with semi decent control, however as a few of you will know, I’ve been trying a low(er) carb diet than what I’m used to. I used to consume about 250-300g per day whereas now I seem to be around 74-124 per day (depends if I’m exercising that day). I’ve found massive differences to my blood sugar control in such a short amount of time. My HBA1c has dropped from 7.4% to 6.7% and I feel so much healthier that I did. I’ve managed to lose a stone in weight combined with a strict exercise regime too.

What I’m wondering though is how do you manage as a type 2 on 20-50g of carbs a day? I seem to accumulate carbs without even trying.
Eg. 50g Porridge for breakfast with milk 150ml = 37g carbs
Strawberries for first break (85g) = 6g carbs
Tuna, 55g Sweetcorn, 30g Mayo, 50g Lettuce for Lunch = 9g carbs
65g of red seedless grapes for afternoon break = 10g carbs
Tea is usually a chicken breast and a mix of veggies which usually takes me to about 20g carbs
If I’m really hungry I through in an extra portion of either strawberries or grapes so my total carbs for the day is around = 82

I’m just being nosy really as I like learning about how everyone manages their diabetes.

I’ve just started the Onken Natural Yoghurts, there so gross so I’ve started having it with strawberries to make it taste a bit nicer. What else can I try?

I'm also curious about eating more fatty foods like cheese and meats...does it not put your cholesterol up?

Thanks in advance, like I said, I'm nosy :D

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi! T1.5 and eat around 30gs of carbs per day..mostly from veggies and any milk in tea or coffee..I used think eating natural sat fats would push my cholesteral up but through a leap of faith have found it's reduced..I've found it's carbs AND fat together that are a real no-no.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Faith, I'm a T1 too. On about 30g per day.

Breafasts: Yoghurt with berries mixed seeds and coconut shavings, LC porridge, bacon and eggs, omelette.

Snacks: chilli peanuts, pepperami, cottage cheese.

Lunch: salad, soup, LC bread sarnies.

Dinner: I swap mashed cauliflower for potato, shiritaki noodles for pasta, grated cauliflower for rice. Or stir fries, stews, loads of veg with meat, mousakka, roast med veg with meat. Pesto, goats cheese and chicken salad is a fave at the mo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Faith* said:
I’ve just started the Onken Natural Yoghurts, there so gross so I’ve started having it with strawberries to make it taste a bit nicer. What else can I try?

WHAT........ :shock:

I love it and I think it was me that suggested Onken yoghurt to you Faith, if your looking for sweetened yoghurt you'll find that the carb value will go up.

Carbdodger

Type 2 low carber here. I'm around 30g a day of carbs. Eggs most days for breakfast sometimes with bacon. Lunch is usually chicken or fish with salad. Dinner meat and veg. If snacks are required (mostly not) then nuts or flax crackers. No shortage of interesting low carb recipes on this site and elsewhere.
Cd

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
noblehead said:
Faith* said:

WHAT........ :shock:

I love it and I think it was me that suggested Onken yoghurt to you Faith, if your looking for sweetened yoghurt you'll find that the carb value will go up.

Haha it was you that suggested it lol It's ok I tried something different this morning, I only used 50g of the yoghurt mixed in with my strawberries cut up small and a very small amount of sweetner and it was HEAVEN! So I take it back, I love my new low carb yoghurt hahaha :lol:

Faith*

Dislikes
SamJB said:

Breafasts: Yoghurt with berries mixed seeds and coconut shavings, LC porridge, bacon and eggs, omelette.

Dinner: I swap mashed cauliflower for potato, shiritaki noodles for pasta, grated cauliflower for rice. Or stir fries, stews, loads of veg with meat, mousakka, roast med veg with meat. Pesto, goats cheese and chicken salad is a fave at the mo.

Yes I have read quite a lot of posts from you, you've taught me a lot. Do you boil the cauliflower first or just grate it and eat raw? I like goats cheese, never tried it in a salad though, might give it a try.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Faith* said:
I like goats cheese, never tried it in a salad though, might give it a try.

I don't low carb, but a goats cheese salad is one of my all time favourite things! I like the cheese warm, but it's lovely cold too. Chuck some toasted walnuts in there and you're on to a winner! Mmmmmmm

Faith*

Dislikes
hale710 said:
Faith* said:
I like goats cheese, never tried it in a salad though, might give it a try.

I don't low carb, but a goats cheese salad is one of my all time favourite things! I like the cheese warm, but it's lovely cold too. Chuck some toasted walnuts in there and you're on to a winner! Mmmmmmm

Mm I like your thinking :D
I'm going to try the salad tomorrow with my chicken for lunch, there's only so much Tuna salad one can eat

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try it with pesto! I know it sounds like it won't work, but it's lush!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Faith* said:
SamJB said:

Yes I have read quite a lot of posts from you, you've taught me a lot. Do you boil the cauliflower first or just grate it and eat raw? I like goats cheese, never tried it in a salad though, might give it a try.

You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower. I use frozen as it is more convenient for me. I tend to put boiling water on it and then allow it to go soft(ish). Then you squeeze the water out of it and put it in a blender to make small pieces. Then I fry it with a little oil.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1 and i eat about 30g a day.

Breakfast; homemade linseed crackers with cheese (this is my favourite at the moment)

Lunch: linseed crackers with meat or salad with meat and cheese

Dinner: veg either boiled, stir fried with meat. Eg I might make Thai curry and have grated cauliflower rice, or carbonara made with courgette spaghetti.

Snacks: pepperoni, cheese,

Treats: berries (yum!) or sugar free jelly

Faith*

Dislikes
Patch13 said:
Faith* said:
SamJB said:

You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower. I use frozen as it is more convenient for me. I tend to put boiling water on it and then allow it to go soft(ish). Then you squeeze the water out of it and put it in a blender to make small pieces. Then I fry it with a little oil.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Faith*

Dislikes
I'll have to try to cut back on some fruits as I must be getting a lot of carbs from them that are filling up my day. Such a shame sweetcorn is so high as well because I love it.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Faith* said:
I'll have to try to cut back on some fruits as I must be getting a lot of carbs from them that are filling up my day. Such a shame sweetcorn is so high as well because I love it.

Unfortunately they are high in carbs. Berries are the best to eat as they tend to be lower.

bananas can have 30g of carbs in them for a medium sized one!! I love sweet corn too, so I have it as a treat sometimes instead

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Patch, have you got the recipe for Linseed crackers? Sounds good!

Faith*

Dislikes
I think i'm going wrong with veg as I mix it up with either, carrots, sweetcorn, spring onion, red onion, peppers, peas, green beans, mangetout. I know the carrots and sweetcorn are high. What else can I try?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SamJB said:
Patch, have you got the recipe for Linseed crackers? Sounds good!

I use cup measurements for this recipe.

1. Put 1 cup of linseed into a bowl.
2. Mix in whatever herbs : spices you want to put in (I've added cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or I've also tried parsley and basil ones).
3. Add a cup Of water and stir
4. Leave for an hour to allow the linseed to soak up the water.
5. Put on baking paper and spread into 8 crackers.
6. Put in a dehydrator at 50c for about 6 hours (after 2 hours when they feel firm turn the crackers over and allow to cook for the rest of the remaining time).

If you don't have. A dehydrator you could try doing them in the oven but would have to find exactly how to do that.
This recipe and other ideas came from http://rawrawriot.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0 ... s.html?m=1

I have found I need to take approximately 0.13 units of insulin per cracker :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Faith* said:
I think i'm going wrong with veg as I mix it up with either, carrots, sweetcorn, spring onion, red onion, peppers, peas, green beans, mangetout. I know the carrots and sweetcorn are high. What else can I try?

Mushrooms, courgettes, lettuce, cucumber, are lower carb. I tend to use courgettes quite a lot (I make them into spaghetti / noodles) and cauliflower (sub for rice). I also add mushrooms to bulk it out.

Onion, peppers and peas have quite a bit of carbs in them so just use less and add them to other vegetables.

I don't use root veg except occasionally as they also tend to have a higher carb content.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Patch.

Personally, I eat all the veg you mentioned bar the sweetcorn. Just in moderation.