Daily testing for T2 on Metformin

Dave(TM)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,

In the past, I have tested daily and found it really useful, especially when trying to back glucose levels to a controlled level. I've recently had to go back onto Metformin after years off at, and am told that I no longer qualify for this under prescription. Firstly - does anyone have any experience of this? did you manage to get one?

Second question is, if I do need to buy my own, what is a good one? ideally I would like one where I can interface with software to analyse my results (I'm a bit of a geek :)). Also, where is good to buy from? Lloyds seem to have some good offers on...

Thanks is advance,
Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are asking about meters although you don't actually say so. I have an Abbott Freestyle Freedom Lite for which you can get software.

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/you ... t-software

It is meant that you order a lead (free) and plug it into your meter but the software works well with manual entries too. You can download it for free and see if you like it before you spend any money on equipment.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Any legal UK resident in need of medication to control their diabetes is entitled to an exemption certificate for ALL prescriptions and you should be able to get an application from your GP surgery and they are obliged to sign it.
Send it off and you should receive a card, but in the meant time just tick the exemption box. If you get an arsey chemist, pay for the script but insist on a receipt for claiming back your payments.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately its down to the post code lottery as to how much support you get in the supply of test strips and lancets, which is made worse if only on metformin or diet only. Some doctors see these methods as safe and won't have hypo problems. Our argument is how are we supposed to know what foods and when are BS goes high, bringing on secondary effects.

Some doctors like mine don't supply meters but have supplied test strips, though you may have to justify why you want them. I used to buy my meters direct from the suppliers years ago, as my meters where getting very old, I looked on the net to see which meter I liked (bit of a tech geek as well) and liked the Bayer contour next usb. I then phoned them up and they sent me one free, along with their contour xt. One as the main meter and one to carry with me when out and about. Though I have bought (in the post at the moment) a meter to try as could not get it free and just want to try it, will end up staying with the Bayer as its a very good meter and their c/s has been brilliant.

Most suppliers will supply a meter freely, though some might only be supplied to type 1's.

If you are going to self fund the test strips worth asking the manufactures how much will they supply the strips for and if theres a min order qty (to make them more cost effective espec with postage costs).

If you want to go down the even cheaper strip funding route there's the SD code free systems though reports on here says it reads about 1.0 higher than other meters, there's also the supercheck2 system which uses cheap test strips as well.

Dave(TM)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks both for your replies so far!

I am indeed talking about meters, and that is exactly the one I was looking at already. This I will go for that one.

I do already have a medical exemption card, the problem I am getting is actually getting a prescription for a meter and strips. Apparently you only qualify if you are on insulin?

I'm happy to buy one if needed, but the strips do get fairly expensive. I'd like to get a wriggle on so I'm tempted to buy the meter and some strips, and then try and get a prescription for next time.

Dave

Dave(TM)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Pav - I'm very much liking the look of the Bayer. How good is the software?

I'm awaiting a call from the doctor's surgery to explain why I can't get a script, but they aren't calling til next week, so like I say, ive been tempted to buy one.

I've just filled the form on the Bayer website to see if I can get a freebie :)

Thanks,
Dave

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dave
I too have the Freestyle Lite meter. I find it excellent, because it doesn't have any "frills" It can download to a computer, but I don't bother. I don't need information in that form.
What it DOES have is a requirement for the smallest blood drop of any meter[literally pin point size] and specially shaped strips which pick up well. In the rare, event the blood you get isn't quite enough, you can "top-up" for several seconds, thus not wasting a strip. Not many meters have this facility!. It's fairly fast too.
In addition there's the impeccable service of Abbott Diabetes Care who supply the meter and sell the strips at a pretty fair price. About £10 less than a retail pharmacy, with rapid first class post delivery. They also keep a record of their customers and the order line personnel are extremely helpful. I wouldn't change to another supplier.
Hana
PSThe meter has a good accfuracy report too.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Bayer software is a the easiest I have used, only thing I would say is a small niggle is when in custom mode the it could do with a extra couple of time slots so you can break the day up a bit more if you wanted to. Also down load the full version from the Bayer web site (free) as you can add / combine more than one meter into a persons profile. If like me I use 2 meters and the results chart combines the 2 into one, or you can designate the meters separately into two profiles.

Once you register your Bayer meter you can then upload your reports to their servers and down load them when ever needed, you can delete off the server if you no longer want them to be on their servers.

Found Abbott c/s to be good, but their on line customer accounts where you can order supplies etc are a right pain in the backside. I have had to repeatedly recreate accounts as for some strange reason they keep deleting them after a few days. I even have the confirmation emails saying account successfully created, of all the meters I have off them over the years only 2 meters are now recognised as being on their system.