Dairy good for diabetics???

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
That's odd......I used to drink Gold Top milk for years and loved lashings of Butter ......didn't stop me becoming a Diabetic....... :?

The headline story actually says, A natural substance found in dairy foods could help prevent diabetes

Overall, people with the highest levels of trans-palmitoleic acid had about a 60% reduced risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, compared to those with the lowest levels.

It doesn't actually say that it is good for a Diabetic, although I can see your train of thought.

So my response would be.......maybe.....maybe not. :)

anniep

noblehead said:
Another story about diary in todays news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12038794

Nigel

I looked at this, but high fat dairy wasn't the only variable in the equation as far as I can see. The high fat dairy group ate lots of ice cream (sugar and saturated fat?) and less fruit and veg.

The low fat dairy group ate more fruit and veg, how can they be sure if the difference is due to dairy or less fruit and veg or more sugar?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anniep said:
The low fat dairy group ate more fruit and veg, how can they be sure if the difference is due to dairy or less fruit and veg or more sugar?

Good question anniep! :D

I posted that article in the interest of balance, each and everyday there are new studies and articles suggesting one diet is healthier than another, I just go with what has worked thus far and kept me healthy, that being a low-fat diet with a rich variety of fruit and vegetables............ hopefully it will keep me healthy into my old-age! :lol:

Nigel

anniep

noblehead said:
anniep said:

Good question anniep! :D

I posted that article in the interest of balance, each and everyday there are new studies and articles suggesting one diet is healthier than another, I just go with what has worked thus far and kept me healthy, that being a low-fat diet with a rich variety of fruit and vegetables............ hopefully it will keep me healthy into my old-age! :lol:

Nigel

Yes, I was just commeting really about the difficulty that we have as lay people to decide on what to do and what to eat:?

Sula

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes I had very high triglyceride and cholesterol readings. Upon diagnosis I gave up carbs and I eat mainly dairy ,( I eat lumps of butter as a treat) I have lots of cream but only a little milk and a lot of cheese. I eat meat,vegetables and nuts and seeds but very little fruit. One of my staples is cheese scones made with ground almonds, cheese and marmite, so when I feel peckish I have two or three. At my last diabetic clinic my triglycerides and cholesterol were much much lower coming in to the normal range. Try and choose dairy products and meat from grass fed cattle as it contains GLA and Omega 3 fatty acids, I eat Yeo Valley butter and cheese and use their milk.

Sula

These are the quantities I usually use (makes about 30+ i think) but you can add more cheese or marmite as you like, you have to fiddle around with the quantities to your taste.

400g ground almonds
100g melted butter
100g grated cheddar cheese
heaped dessertspoon marmite (I add the marmite to the melted butter and mix together)

Mix it all together and flour work surface with bran (instead of flour) or roll between two sheets of baking parchment as the mixture is sticky. Roll to less than 1/2" thick more of a biscuit thickness than a scone.
Cut with a small cutter and bake at 180 centigrade for about 15 mins. Watch them carefully as it's a fine line between uncooked and burnt, they need to be light brown.

I made up this recipe so it may need a bit of trial and error to get it right. My daughter suggested I toast some pumpkin and sunflower seeds and put those on the top.

Hope you enjoy them

jaykay

Thank you so much. Am off to the kitchen to experiment! It's my husband's birthday on Sunday and I'd like to take something to the rellies house that I can actually eat!