Dangerous advice??

peppiB

Went to podiatry clinic yesterday and saw someone I hadn't met before. Told him that since last visit I had joined a forum, heeded the advice and started low carbing, lost weight and blood sugars were starting to fall. He was not impressed. I was told firmly that a) he had nearly 30 years of dealing with diabetics and therefore had much more knowledge than me b) the internet gave dangerous and misleading advice and c) for my own health I should immediately return to the recommended high carb diet. Think this must be someone who advises diabetes UK!!! I asked if he was diabetic, and no he wasn't!! The good news is he said I don't have to see him again. He did however discover I have one leg shorter than the other - something I have known for 60 years now. This should have been picked up when I was a child .... but wasn't. Possibly too late now, but at least I now have a wedge in my shoe! Meanwhile, back to making my own decisions, looking after myself, and watching BS fall thanks to the low carbs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Good for you,Peppi.You are in charge of your diabetes!! 30 years of flawed advice is still flawed advice!! :lol: :lol:

Aadrgon

peppiB said:
I was told firmly that a) he had nearly 30 years of dealing with diabetics and therefore had much more knowledge than me b) the internet gave dangerous and misleading advice and c) for my own health I should immediately return to the recommended high carb diet

Honestly, when will we diabetics learn to take 'proper advice' so that we can progress our illness and die as we are supposed to rather than keep going out of our way to make these pompous idiots look like pompous idiots :lol: :lol: :lol:

keep watching that BS fall :)

thumbless1

Dislikes
The NHS which is overworked and behind the times.
Basically i was diagnosed T2 3 weeks ago and got onto an American site Diabetes Daily before lurking on here.

The Americans go for low carbing as well and i still have to get my head round it as the NHS and my doctor think otherwise so i must be wrong.

Went for a high blood pressure test as a yearly check up, so i asked for a cholestrol check, they put me down for a fasting blood so when got my results i had waited a month for the test and a week for the results.

I was told i was a Diabetic.

I went in denial, oh yes you are, oh no im not, got a second blood test and oh yes i am.

Looks like i am learning all over again and the best encouragement advice seems to be from other Diabetics.

I have came to the conclusion that we are living too long and they are secretly trying to keep the numbers down.

Davey

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum,Davey. You will find a lot of help and encouragement on this forum.Please ,take your time, have a good read round and ask us questions .There's usually someone online with an answer.

peppiB

Welcome along Davey

I was diagnosed last April - wasn't told any blood results, just that I was diabetic. I was blissfully unaware what was involved until I saw a podiatrist (different one to yesterday)in February who told me about my neuropathy and dangers I may lose my foot. This made me sit up and become aware, I found this forum and have not looked back since. People on here give you sound advice, based on their own experiences as fellow diabetics who live with the condition, rather than the tosh from so called professionals who live in their Ivory towers and have no personal experience of living with diabetes.

Aadrgon

thumbless1 said:
I have came to the conclusion that we are living too long and they are secretly trying to keep the numbers down.

The "Diabetics wanted dead or alive preferably dead" poster in the waiting room is a bit of a give away :)

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Aadrgon said:
thumbless1 said:

The "Diabetics wanted dead or alive preferably dead" poster in the waiting room is a bit of a give away :)
We cost too much money, according to the bean counters and "management consultants" (is that really a job title, or just an affectation?) that now run the NHS.

Aadrgon

kegstore said:
We cost too much money, according to the bean counters and "management consultants" (is that really a job title, or just an affectation?) that now run the NHS.

Several years ago I used to work in a hospital where wheelchair access was controlled by the head porter as well as his normal head portering duties.
The powers that be decided to appoint a wheelchair manager at a higher salary. He found it necessary to have an assistant wheelchair manager.
Two extra salaries for the same job and you still couldn't get a wheelchair if you needed one

and they think we cost money !!!!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I think that comes under the old adage, 'seemed like a good idea at the time'!! :lol: :lol:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Peppi,

When you think about it, getting advice on diet from a podiatrist is a bit like going to your dentist to find out what is wrong with your car. And about as trustworthy!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hey Dennis
I trust my dentist

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Dennis said:
Hi Peppi,

When you think about it, getting advice on diet from a podiatrist is a bit like going to your dentist to find out what is wrong with your car. And about as trustworthy!

The Doctors/Nurses/Diatetions and Scientists have no idea either so on that note why listen to any advice from anyone?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
EricD said:
Dennis said:
Hi Peppi,

The Doctors/Nurses/Diatetions and Scientists have no idea either so on that note why listen to any advice from anyone?
They're not all terrible surely? OK some ARE disasters but not all? I guess I'm lucky... :?

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Well, the ones you believe are giving the right advice are the good ones, the rest as is "proven" by many here are just rubbish and want to "kill us all".

peppiB

Dennis said:
Hi Peppi,

Dennis,
My dentist is a fellow classic car nut so I do trust him on his mechanical knowledge - it is his dentistry skills when demonstrating removal of components of his car that worries me :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

ally5555

tbh - I was thinking about this in work and why was the podaitrist talking to you about diet?

I dont advice on cutting toe nails - all part of the problem of other HCP thinking they are multiple experts! I dont even think they cover diet during their degree but will find out!

Vikingepigen

Sounds like I am lucky with my GP - was diagnosed T2 today and he not only told me about why and how, but also how low carb, calorie awareness and exercise could manage my T2 and hence avoide tablets etc.

I got a "pack" of sheets with info about Diabetes and how to manage but most importantly it contain a very useful table of High, Moderate and Low Gi foods.

The practise have a Diabetic Nurse who will go through food, shopping, exercise etc. with me in a couple of weeks. I feel in a turmoil as it is all so new and strange - but I feel supported by my GP and the practise, at least so far!

Best
Alice

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Alice,

Sounds like you have a very diabetes-aware and forward thinking team there.
Unfortunately too many of our members have found from their medics either disinterest or appalling advice, and often both!!