Dapagliflozin/Forxiga - Breast Cancer

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking for information to see if there may be a link between Dapagliflozin and Cancer. My story is that in April 2015 I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and in May/June started Metformin and later that year, Forxiga. Three weeks after starting Forxiga in approximately August I was hospitalised with DKA - brought on by Forxiga and was told that had I not got to hospital when I did, I would only have survived for another 12 hours at most. In November 2015 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and started injecting insulin. In March 2016 I had a routine mammogram and it was discovered I had breast cancer. There is NO breast cancer in my family and I am BRCA Negative (in other words not a carrier of the defective breast cancer gene). To make matters worse, the type of breast cancer I had was called Triple Negative (ie only chemotherapy will fight it - there is no preventative drugs that can be taken as with other types of breast cancer).

I met with my Endocrinologist today and asked whether he knew of any link between that drug and cancer and he agreed to submit a "triangle" report to the Health Authorities to see if there have been other reports. He's not anticipating an answer (unless they require more information) but a quick internet search has shown that there have been concerns about links between that drug and bladder/breast cancer.

I would be very interested to know if anybody on this forum has been in a similar situation please? Thanks in advance.

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @kokhongw. I found that article also. It showed that there was double the risk of breast cancer in the trial but they dismissed it by saying it was an anomoly that was probably due to a lack of screening. I'm quite incredulous that such a high risk can be ignored. x