1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dark Chocolate Recommendations

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by EdMac, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EdMac

EdMac · Well-Known Member

So I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a high quality dark chocolate they can recommend?

• Useful Useful x 1
    #1 EdMac, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  2. paula.nolan42

paula.nolan42 · Guest

This is the dark chocolate that I've been eating - its quite nice - Tesco have it image.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

South American chocolate is nice, fruitier and not as bitter as most chocolates from Africa, a bit more expensive though. You may not find it in your ordinary supermarket.

4. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My favourite chocolate is Lindt 90% - eat it slowly and it's absolutely delicious :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also like the Lindt 90%, I did try the 99% but didn't like that one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

There are few 70%s i don't like, but it is so much down to taste.

Back when i finally admitted i had to make the switch, i did my usual mildly-obsessive investigation, expecting to find one or two i liked, and many i didn't.

The methodology was to buy 1 bar of every kind of 'good' choc i could, starting with Tescos (our nearest supermarket) and slowly extending my explorations through Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons and Sainsburys. We don't have a Waitrose. ;) I have since spread the net wider.

It came as quite a shock to discover that i found something appealing about nearly all of them. The only ones i avoid are Green and Blacks 70%, Godiva and Hotel Chocolat. Too posh for their own good. Lol. Aldi and Lidl's and Lindt are now my convenient standbys, but enjoy many others if i visit a source.

The trick is to comparison test 2 at a time - then you ALWAYS come away with one slightly better, one slightly worse. :writer: And never overload your palette with more than a couple of squares of each at a time.

Blimey, i sound just like one of those dreadful wine snobs.
    Though why anyone would drink wine if choc was available, i cannot imagine...
    Hahaha!

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Marks & Spencer, Intense and Dark Chocolate....................yummy yum yum

• Like Like x 2
  8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Aldi do a nice 85% Dark Chocolate under the brand name Moser Roth, each pack contains 5 individual bars that contains 4g of carbs each.

If you want something sweet then Lidl do a 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, the brand name is J.D Gross and each square of chololate has 5g of carbs (they are quite big squares), it's very moreish so do be warned :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I like the the Lindt dark chocolate but can only manage their 85% bars. But I've always had a migraine issue with dark chocolate so once I found I could cope with 1-2 pieces this I've not bothered about trying other percentages or brands. I still have to be a bit wary about how much I can safely eat though... :(:(

I think my non-diabetic dark chocolate eating husband used to buy Green and Blacks but now he'll often get the Lindt 85% or 90% bars instead.

Robbity
    (slightly stuck between a chocolatey diabetes rock and a migraine hard place...)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MasterDoctor

MasterDoctor Type 1 · Member

70% messed up my blood sugar but 90% worked OK (this is lindt BTW,)

11. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with Sainsbury's Taste the Difference 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. The taste is smooth and rich, I prefer it to Green & Blacks, and it comes in 5 convenient individually wrapped 25g bars inside a cardboard tablet.
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-85%-cocoa-dark-chocolate--taste-the-difference-125g#BVRRWidgetID

ETA: There are recipes for making your own LC marshmallows, using egg whites, gelatin and sweetener, but I've not tried them - I was never a great fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Red wine and a couple of squares of lidl.81% choc = bliss
    CAROL

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No, sorry, I live in Sweden and am not clued up on UK chocolate. I'll let you know if find out as I'm off to Manchester tomorrow.

14. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

I'm with @noblehead here - I'm not diabetic but I follow a ketogenic diet to control my Epilepsy. Aldi's Moser Roth is definitely my choc of choice if I fancy a treat!

• Like Like x 2
  15. hesleden

hesleden Type 2 · Newbie

Sainsburys own 85% comes in 5 small bars in pack and very good on taste!!

16. Moosepig

Moosepig Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hotel chocolat make a range called Supermilk, which is a low sugar, high cocoa content, not as black as some of the very high cocoa contents but very palatable, with a lovely rounded chocolate taste without the bitterness. I have found I can eat a small amount of this after a meal without spiking - worth a try!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. NoughtQAF

NoughtQAF Type 2 · Active Member

Major chocolate addict here! I can recommend the fin carre and j d gross chocolates from lidl and moser roth from aldi. The moser roth is very similar to lindt, but I find it smoother. The j d gross have a range of dark chocolates some are almost fruity tasting others are intensely cocoa.

I can't comment on bg effects as I'm trying to avoid chocolate at the moment for digestive reasons.

Edit: I forgot the delight that is ritter sport especially the extra fine dark chocolate. It's sometimes available at lidl. It is sweet tasting but without being sugary.

#17 NoughtQAF, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  18. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tesco, 72% ivory cost. Cheap and good. I'm sure there are better ones but they wont beat the price of £1 per bar

• Like Like x 4
  19. msmi1970

msmi1970 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

found this online. based in new york. have not tried it...yet
    http://www.raakachocolate.com/
    they have a 79% organic Belize cacao with yacon (cane sugar free) & a 60% organic Dominican cacao with coconut milk. and a whole bunch of other unusual flavours

sigh...

20. Mybesteffort

Mybesteffort Type 2 · Member

LINDT 90% is the best dark chocolate in the world. :) :) :)

It is so chocolate and good. If you go lower than the 90%, it tastes grainy sugar, sweetner blecch.

You only need a tiny bit of a square and then savour it ....yum.

Amazing if you eat it with cashews, or a few raspberries etc.

Happy chocolate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook