Darned

Mileana

Hi all,

Been doing lots less exercise for a few weeks post surgery, today I was feeling great, so off I went for my usual 5 mile plus. Armed with my normal juice in my pocket, just in case... However, my water bottle I forgot by the kitchen sink. So what happens...?

I trot along, it's a bit on-off sunny and I start getting sweaty a bit, sorta hot flushed. Time to test, I still do this every 30-45 minutes, and my blood sugar is fine (5.4). Then I get blurred vision a bit, and think to myself that I wish I had brought that water after all. However, I just tested my blood sugar, so can't be that - it was only 10 minutes ago.

I decide to test anyway after another 5 minutes and alas! Blood sugar is now 3.0! Oh, gotta haul that sugary drink outta my pocket then anyway and sit down for a bit - the idiot that is me is in the middle of the forest, nothing but ants and plants.

After 10 mins, it says 3.9. I'm getting a bit annoyed as I of course didn't bring my sugar tabs either. In effect, I have a problem. Muscles at full uptake and the trend will be downwards in a few minutes again, and well, I have at least 2 miles to walk afore I can do any more to fix it.

I can't do much but start walking - no mobile coverage either, of course.

I get dizzy and stupid and think about just sitting down, legs all jelly and it's super cold with the 19 degrees and sunshine.

I measure again 10 minutes later, it's up to 4.3. If I'm lucky, I'll just make it. Still super tired and cold. I walk, I feel slightly better, but I can't really coordinate properly yet, so it's effort.

I get back to town, think about just knocking on a door, but can't make myself decide anything, I sit down and it's back down - 2.8 now. Not far to the shop now and I get there, and I can't think - I know I need something sugary, something whatever, but my head won't function, there's options. Then I start just giggling for whatever reason. The lad asks me if I'm okay - I say no, with a grin on my face, I need sugar. He laughs too. I don't know how, but I manage to buy a coke and sit outside, nothing at all in my brain, can't even find out how to drink, I just look at the lid as if I expect it to undo itself. Eventually, I manage to have a few sips and that's when I don't remember anymore until someone is complaning about drunk people everywhere...

I sit up, so cold, so confused and I want to say something, but can't be bothered - just want to sleep. I want to go home, but I can't stand, so I just sit there, trying to sip the coke some more, but so much nausea, and I'm so tired. Maybe half an hour later, I feel well enough to call a cab to get me home. Used all my strips in my meter, so no idea what my blood sugar is at that point.

I don't know what to say apart from I'm a complete idiot, it seems. So many factors, most of them within my control, and I failed at most of them. I remembered that my basal was up a little bit because of the infection also, cannot have helped. I should have been more careful. I was probably lucky. I am definately tired. And feel like a giant icecube... A giant, very stupid icecube.

WhitbyJet

OMG, thank heavens you are ok now *HUGS*

Should you not be very careful in regards to ecercise, you just had an operation and infection, dont push yourself so hard, please dont overdo it.

Mileana

I will be careful. If I had had my glucotabs with me, it would have been fine - I was just an idiot and forgot my basal was increased and to have more buffer.

Too close a call really and still cold, but levels fine. Will make sure they stay a bit higher until tomorrow when it wears off.

Did get all scared though. Big girls don't cry, but that may come later on.

shop

Sounds Awfully scary Mileana. Glad you managed to buy the coke.

It just goes to show how we need to remember our glucose tabs etc. I had what could have been a similar experience the other day.
We have got a little Aberdeen angus bullock that keeps getting out of the field.

I was in the bath, my Hubby came to tell me that it had got out again up the canal! I got out of bath asap. Got dressed and off I went, however my hubby, FIL and the bullock were miles away so I kept going. Realised that I had no glucose tabs etc with me. Kept going as i knew they needed my help. It took us ages to get it home and was lunch time at least before I got back. However my sugar had gone up! It must have been more strenuous walking than I had realised ( I have a bad knee. )

Just glad I didn't have a hypo but it taught me a lesson. It only takes a minuet to grab glucose tabs etc. I will remember next time.

Lucy.