Daughter running a bit high since move to levemir?

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Niamh 11 has changed from lantus to levemir in the last month, normally she would have a hypo a day if not more, Mix that will hormones, SATS round the corner and it's gone a bit wonky!
Niamh feels tired (in the morning - who doesn't) but fine, but she is above "the range"
I'm conscious we need to keep her bloods in range, and we will be uploading diasend next week for the hospital but wondered what the general thoughts were on hormones and how much it affects the readings? Is this the insulin?
Above all of that she still smiles - it's just me who wants to do the best for her.
All answers gratefully received as usual!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible the Levemir just isn't lasting a full 24 hours? Most of us split our Levemir into 2 injections per day to get a full day's coverage. I'm in the US, but I thought the current NICE guidelines actually recommended 2/day Levemir injections.

Disclaimer: forgive my ignorance on the UK healthcare system.

Reactions: 2 people

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks, I'm not sure at all but will put it on the list for the next meeting.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
May need split dose or dose adjustment to 60/40 mornings/evenings etc...

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think strategy for switching insulins is to play cautious and avoid hypos so it is quite probable that the dose is a little low. Are you confident to try adjusting, with Echo pen you can do those in 0.5u increments which is probably sensible for children.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think strategy for switching insulins is to play cautious and avoid hypos so it is quite probable that the dose is a little low. Are you confident to try adjusting, with Echo pen you can do those in 0.5u increments which is probably sensible for children.
I'm very familiar with the Echo pen as I own two myself. However, I wasn't aware that they made it to accommodate Levemir.

EDIT- Must be a UK thing. Disregard my comment as I live in the US.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Nutty72 why the change to levemir was lantus not working? Hormones and growth spurts defo have an impact (my 2yr olds teeth coming through impacting her sugars too). Just wondered if she is feeling tired if it could be something else like her thyroid or anaemia? I was at school (type1 since I was 2 too) when they picked up I had under active thyroid.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We changed hospitals, long story! But the one we are under now recommend levemir, as far as I know thyroid and anaemia ruled out, she has always loved her bed, just noticed recently that she loves it a bit more... I think we will see how tomorrow goes and increase by half a unit, not sure if I'm being too cautious! Seems like only the other week we were setting our alarms so make sure she didn't go too low! And now she's high!
Onwards and upwards, I do appreciate the input just nice to know you are all there!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Nutty72 i would increase by 0.5 unit give it a couple of days minimum to see what the impact is and then increase again if necessary. When my daughter was on levemir her consultant said to increase it 0.5 unit a time (but she is younger, now on a pump). I was told levemir is better for children.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very familiar with the Echo pen as I own two myself. However, I wasn't aware that they made it to accommodate Levemir.

EDIT- Must be a UK thing. Disregard my comment as I live in the US.
Hi Torq, nope we can get Penfill cartridges in UK for both Novo and Levemir, same cartridge design.

Steve

Reactions: 2 people

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We changed hospitals, long story! But the one we are under now recommend levemir, as far as I know thyroid and anaemia ruled out, she has always loved her bed, just noticed recently that she loves it a bit more... I think we will see how tomorrow goes and increase by half a unit, not sure if I'm being too cautious! Seems like only the other week we were setting our alarms so make sure she didn't go too low! And now she's high!
Onwards and upwards, I do appreciate the input just nice to know you are all there!
Sounds like she is turning into a teenager, if she spends more time in her room and starts to lose power of speech then diagnosis is confirmed :). slow and steady is always best with T1 as you need time to work out if any effects are due to your action or something else coincidentally going on at same time!

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
My son is also 5 and half years old and on lantus and he is doing fine.
Same question from me why levemir is better for children??

Thanks!!

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They wanted us to switch as novorapid and levemir are made by the same company? Niamh was having a few stinging issues with lantus which have subsided since on levemir. Lantus did seem to do the job better but not sure if that's hormones or the insulin.... Will mention it at the clinic.

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My little boy is 4 and has one dose of 3 units of levemir at 7pm each day, as well as novo rapid after his meals as we are carb counting for him. He has only ever had one dose a day so I have no knowledge of splitting doses etc. We had a similar issue with Harry a few months ago except he was running high after he'd gone to bed, ie 11pm onwards. We changed his doses a few times with the DSN's guidance and now we seem to have it right, for now at least.
I was told by Harry's consultant that levemir doesn't quite cover the full 24 hours but its been fine for my son so far. I was also told that lantus can be stingy but I don't know alot else about it other than its supposed to provide better coverage.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Will up by half a unit tonight and see how go as Niamh is high in the mornings, thanks as usual for all advice and input

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Nutty72 me again! Have you checked her sugars during the night? Like 3am? I suffer from dawn phenomenon and have high readings in the morning-and need most of my basal insulin from midnight onwards, more from about 3am. I only managed to get mine sorted with the pump. My daughters sugars on the other hand tend to drop overnight.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Periodically we check in the small hours, normally when we have a gut feeling that somethings not right.. Niamh has funding for the pump so hopefully things will settle down for her .. Thanks @1Sarah1