Day 1 Advice - am i on the right track?

toastlover

I've half heartedly attempted lower carbing before but this time I'm giving it a proper attempt. To start with my goal is less than 70g of carbs per day. Here is my menu for today and my estimated carbs (data from my fitness pal)

Breakfast - 11g
50g 2% fat greek yoghurt
30g blueberries
80g strawberries

Lunch - 10g
2 egg omelette mixed with a splash of cream and containing bacon, red onion, tomato and 20g cheddar.

Dinner - 35g
fish in butter sauce, cabbage, broccoli, peas.
2 finger kit kat (need one treat, lol)

For drinks during the day I have so far had one coffee with a splash of cream and then sugar free squash.

Am I on the right lines with this?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

I'd say your getting there. Personally to get into ketosis and lose weight I go lower.

I'd have less fruit with my FULL fat greek yog. Like today at lunch I had maybe 2 raspberries, 2 blackberries and 2 strawberries. I don't measure religiously.

Also I wouldn't touch the kitkat as it would probably make me crave more sugar. Instead I'd have some sugarfree jelly with squirty cream, or make myself a 3 minute microwave cake with coconut flour or ground almonds.

toastlover

As a T1 is it safe for me to go into ketosis? The only time I have done previously is when I was hospitalised with ketoacidosis....

Breakfast is a tricky one. Need ideas for quick breakfasts that don't involve cooked food as i struggle to eat pre lunch.

Good call on the jelly and cream - I love jelly!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I believe you can use ketosis if you wish to. Maybe a more knowlegable type 1 would correct me.

I believe ketoacidosis and ketosis are two different things. If your BG is around normal/average levels and you have ketones, this is just your body burning excess fat as fuel. I was told by my DSN that if I have ketones but my BG is around 19 to worry and call someone for advice.

I only aim towards ketosis as I have loads of weight to shift.

For breakfast as Im never awake enough or early enough to cook before work, I microwave 2 Herta frankfurtas, or sometimes I have the greek yog and fruit, or just some cheese. I used to eat microwaved scrambled eggs but cant stand the texture anymore.

I eat sugarfree jelly pretty much everyday. Its so versatile, you can even try making half pint with boiling water, allow to cool then add some cream to make a kind of mousse, if you whisked it it would probably set fluffy.

I also make sugarfree jelly sweets, make up half pint with boiling water then whilst still hot dissolve 2 sachets of gelatine, I then pour this into silicone ice cube moulds, allow to set, hey presto jelly sweets! Great to store in the fridge for a sweet nibble. Found that on here somewhere.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a T1 and have low-carbed fro around 8 months now. I struggled with breakfast for a while. Now I have LC porridge, precooked egg & sausage muffins, linseed muffins, low carb toast and sardines. An omelate really doesn't take that long though if everything is ready.

Recipes for the LC porridge and muffins are in Karen Baranaby's Low Carb Gourmet book. Very good book and a must for LCers. Search on this forum for "Perfect Low Carb Bread Recipe" to make the toast. Also Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Diet contains LC recipes, but most of the breakfast ones are omelette.