Day/night hypos

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does anyone else find this? If I have a hypo in the middle of the night I treat it and always wake up a few hours later with really high blood sugar, but this doesn't happen with a day time hypo (as in I never go high after). Why is this?!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Miss90 I used to be like this and it was because I was over treating the night time hypo, what are you having to bring you back up?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone else find this? If I have a hypo in the middle of the night I treat it and always wake up a few hours later with really high blood sugar, but this doesn't happen with a day time hypo (as in I never go high after). Why is this?!
There is also the possibility that your night time hypos are causing your liver to dump glucose into your blood which would also cause your bg levels to increase much more significantly. I know a few people see this more overnight than during the daytime.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeah, it could be the hypo increases the normal dawn liver dump that takes place...........

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi @Miss90 I used to be like this and it was because I was over treating the night time hypo, what are you having to bring you back up?

Lucozade and a couple of biscuits, same sorts of foods and amount during the day!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be the liver dumping glucose as mentioned above, and lucozade and biscuits might be over treating the hypo, also mentioned above. So probably just tweak the hypo treatment downwards. I know it's really easy when you're hypo to panic-eat. Try measuring what you eat/drink when hypo (again, I know this is hard to do when you're also feeling hypo!). I try to measure hypo treatment in the form of glucose tablets which are each about 3-4g of carbohydrate. Some like to do the same with jelly babies, but I like them so much, I'd eat too many if I was in a panicky hypo state. I'd rather use the glucose tablets that I don't like much.

Reactions: 2 people