Dealing with emotions of diabetes???

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No advice I'm afraid, just sympathy and a bit of support :) I was diagnosed February 25th 2013 so I'm in a similar place to you. I'm lucky that being T1 doesn't get me down, I have days where I can't be bothered, but generally I smile and get on with things.

It IS hard. Everything you do is being analysed to see if it will affect your BG. I get so confused sometimes I have to stop, step back, slow down and write down what I'm going to do so it's clear how much insulin to take. It frustrates the hell out if my boyfriend when he just wants to get on and go out, but he understands it's necessary to keep me stable.

There's always people on here to talk to and answer questions. Or just for a bit of a chat to cheer you up :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Samantha, knowledge is power. The more you know about your body and the disease, the easier it is to cope with. It really is controllable and it's not the end of the world ! Ask lots of questions and read as much on here as you can. I was diagnosed type 1 Jan 2013 so I know exactly how you feel but my whole family has turned it into a positive. We all eat healthier and exercise more. Good luck and keep us posted ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:
Samantha, knowledge is power. The more you know about your body and the disease, the easier it is to cope with. It really is controllable and it's not the end of the world ! Ask lots of questions and read as much on here as you can. I was diagnosed type 1 Jan 2013 so I know exactly how you feel but my whole family has turned it into a positive. We all eat healthier and exercise more. Good luck and keep us posted ;-)

Good advice from Mo1905, also keep in touch with your diabetes care team and don't be afraid to discuss any problems with them no matter how small they may seem, being emotional post-diagnosis is normal and understandable and again this is something you need to discuss with your HCP's.

I wish you well Samantha!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Sam,

Ah hun it's a bit of a shock, your not alone. I was diagnosed last Jan 2012, was a trauma and felt like I was grieving for a while, but as Mo has said the sooner you can get information then the better you will feel, you will feel better anyway as i'm sure you're sugars were playing havoc with your body for a while anyway so in general you will feel better. I got involved in research with the NHS for mono peptide research as I was newly diagnosed and hooked up with them within 3 months of being diagnosed - it gave me so much knowledge and support, regardless of the research, as I went to see docs every month for a year and they were fabulous at keeping me on top of it and helping me understand how to manage it well and each month checking my HbA1C, however the DAFNE course is the winner to really knowing more about carb counting, dose adjustment etc.

Diabetes to me is all about self management, I manage it and it doesnt rule my life.

If you are interested in research then drop an email to Liu: [email protected] she's at St Guys and will put you in touch with local research teams.

Good luck :thumbup:
Jx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Juicyj said:
Hi Sam,

Ah hun it's a bit of a shock, your not alone. I was diagnosed last Jan 2012, was a trauma and felt like I was grieving for a while, but as Mo has said the sooner you can get information then the better you will feel, you will feel better anyway as i'm sure you're sugars were playing havoc with your body for a while anyway so in general you will feel better. I got involved in research with the NHS for mono peptide research as I was newly diagnosed and hooked up with them within 3 months of being diagnosed - it gave me so much knowledge and support, regardless of the research, as I went to see docs every month for a year and they were fabulous at keeping me on top of it and helping me understand how to manage it well and each month checking my HbA1C, however the DAFNE course is the winner to really knowing more about carb counting, dose adjustment etc.

Diabetes to me is all about self management, I manage it and it doesnt rule my life.

If you are interested in research then drop an email to Liu: [email protected] she's at St Guys and will put you in touch with local research teams.

Good luck :thumbup:
Jx

I'm Interested in research! I'm more than willing to be a guinea pig for tests etc. do you think they have research teams across the country? I'm in Scotland and we're a bit backwards up here..... Haha

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Samantha98 said:
Help! Diagnosed Jan 28 2013 with type one. My whole life feels upside down and I just feel like crying. Advice?

Hello Sam,
My sincerest empathies: I've been T1 since 1976 and still have times like yours (I was too young to appreciate what it meant at the time of diagnosis to undergo such emotions in the early years).

Diabetes IS hard - as many will testify, but it is also manageable and you will be able to turn things around... there's so much more knowledge and support these days than when I was diagnosed and going into my teens/early 20's that you will have support where you least expect it.

The equipment is infinitely better, which also helps to ease the process of controlling the 'beast'.

Having diabetes is very much like having children: suddenly everything that you could formerly 'just do' becomes a time consuming, logistical endurance test. However, with the right approach you will find yourself organising things in a methodical and logical way, thereby slotting much of the daily tasks into a part of your life process marked "second nature".

There will be many times in the future when you will want to cry - go ahead and do it, because many of those times will be out of sheer laughter at the stupidity of something you have done whilst going hypo! It's not all bad.

One piece of advice: get your loved ones on board - their support when things don't appear good is essential.

Best wishes,
Conrad

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
However.. It enables us..

There's not that many things that we can't do, if we want to.

I totally empathise..been there with emotions..
However.. Best info n help I had.. Diabetes lives with you .. You dont live with Diabetes. You CAN live a great life with D.

vicky_l

just wanted to say

IT IS OKAY TO CRY you know totally normal healthy reaction let it out you had a shock

then brush yourself off find out as much as you can so you can control the diabetes not the diabetes control you and if you werent good at it before

NOW is the time to look after yourself properly (many people arent good at looking after themselves) Remember the more you take control and that means information as someone has already said the more control you are in the less risk of any complications

Well done for seeking out this place
xoxox

GlazedDoughnuts

donnellysdogs said:
However.. It enables us..

There's not that many things that we can't do, if we want to.

I totally empathise..been there with emotions..
However.. Best info n help I had.. Diabetes lives with you .. You dont live with Diabetes. You CAN live a great life with D.

This, too often people place diabetes on a pedestal and make it a bigger issue than it really is, I lead a completely normal life with diabetes...Eat and take insulin. Don't go nuts on the portions and all is well.

Exercise, something everyone who is able to do so should be doing.

If you drink alcohol, simply miss your Insulin shot and carry on as normal.

It's pretty easy to control diabetes...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It is easy to control once you have all the right tools and the right mindset - but we must be mindful that not everyone feels the same, when you're newly diagnosed there is a lot of information to get your head round to get to that place, so we must nurture each other and help when support is needed.

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
I was diagnosed type 1 in February this year, I'm 16, well it was a massive change in my life, still is, my emotions were all over the place too, you're definitely not alone!, i still get my days were i feel so down!, I've also noticed when my sugars are low or in a hypo I get aggressive and when there high it get so moody!. It is hard but at the end of the day you do just have to step back, relax and think positive about things. My family are still getting around to understanding things and my friends still ask me questions and some even forget i have diabetes haha. It will take time for everything to settle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Hi Samantha,
Congratulations on joining the coolest club on the web.We all fear what we don`t understand.As several other members have so truly said "knowledge is power".The art is to take charge of your diabetes,we all have diabetes but we also all have OUR diabetes.Once you know how YOUR diabetes behaves you will live life in auto pilot once more.A good starting point is to learn how much carbohydrate is in the foods you regularly eat,and how much insulin you need to take per 10g/exchange of carbohydrate.Once you know these things its just a matter of living your life in the way you want. I remember when i was first diagnosed, the support and treatment methods were basic.Nowadays 25 years on there is so much help,knowledge and support that need never feel alone,overwhelmed or frightened. just send us all a message,and someone will reply.
You can do it !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"If you drink alcohol, simply miss your Insulin shot and carry on as normal."---- depends what alchohol and how much........my favourite drink is drambuiee and I have to have shots for that, but some carbs before bed without a bolus. Different people react differently depending on what and how much theydrink...red wine is fine with me (obviously no bolus) but liquers are far different...

Off topic I know.. Sorry.

seansky

Its going to be a battle, but once you have it nailed down life carries on as normal except you carry your pocket pancreas around with you and test endlessly. If Banting had not discovered insulin I would be dead by now so although I sometimes think of myself as the living dead I just get on with the game. I look for meaning in my life more than I did.

ForeverDreaming

by mo1905 » April 12th, 2013, 8:34 am

Samantha, knowledge is power. The more you know about your body and the disease, the easier it is to cope with. It really is controllable and it's not the end of the world ! Ask lots of questions and read as much on here as you can. I was diagnosed type 1 Jan 2013 so I know exactly how you feel but my whole family has turned it into a positive. We all eat healthier and exercise more. Good luck and keep us posted
Well said mo1902

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had type 1 since I was 3, and recently I've just go so angry and upset about it all, my best advice is to just accept it. It's a bit like an injury. YES it will stop you doing things YES it might be painful, but it's not going to stop you doing everything. It doesn't need to rule your life. Diabetes is only a small part of your life. However big it may seem, you should take the time to make sure you're still doing other things you want to do. :)