1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Dear GP, please don't weigh me before doing my BP.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by briped, Mar 26, 2019.

1. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take BPs all the time and many people have a higher rate due to walking or 'white coat' syndrome. Best time is actually when you've literally just awoken. If there is any doubt or concern you can get it done over 24 hours.
    With a great HBA1c and less meds it is likely that your BP will stabilise unless there is some non diabetic reason for it to be high.
    With regards to the cholesterol remember that LDL is reckoned to be a poor measure of heart risk but just happens to be something that could be easily measured (many heart attack patients have normal OR low ldl after all).
    A better risk predictor could be your trigs/HDL ratio which at present is greater than 1:1 indicating your body may not be dealing with the carbohydrates you are eating too well. When the liver can't use the carbs you eat by storing them in the liver or as glycogen, then they circulate as triglycerides (fatty acids) in the blood. The HDL is supposed to sweep up the excess and take them back to the liver however it can become overwhelmed.
    As I understand it, your doctor will calculate your Q risk of a heart attack in the next 10 years based on a number of factors including your cholesterol numbers so it is worth having a discussion about all the factors that go into this including those that you can change.
    I'd also research the cholesterol debate. See Ivor Cummins, Malcolm Kendrik on YouTUbe are both sceptical of the current LDL phobia but try to balance this with what your more orthodox doctor may say knowing your full medical history.

2. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always have my BP done the "old fashioned" way with a sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope, it's actually on my note, the automatic ones are always high, the manual ones always spot on

3. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Nicole, no I don't have a history of hypertension, and am not really worried, because I know that last time it was measured it was perfectly acceptable and was even coming down a bit. No, I'm sure it was those scales and my reaction to them. She did measure it three times, and saw it coming down :) Just funny how sheer worry over my weight could make me react that strongly.
    If @ziggy_w is right, and she usually is, my trigs could well be a little higher because I wasn't fasting, so maybe the ratio was 1:1, but isn't it annoying how I didn't know she was going to do my lipids? I'd have fasted, had I known. As it is I hardly eat any carbs. I try to stay below 16g per day, so I don't see much room for improvement there.
    I also watched a couple of videos on how LDL tends to go higher on LCHF. I'll have to admit that much of the biochemistry was Russian to me, but I think I got the gist, and basically the video confirmed the numbers I saw today after one year on Low Carb. Higher HDL for example, and I'm fairly sure my trigs have come down. Cholesterol is quite confusing, isn't it? Also, I'm no longer so sure that LDL is the monster it's made out to be, only if the particles tend to be small, which mine didn't.
    My GP does indeed seem to be very orthodox, but also open minded. Maybe I can turn her around? :) I know that she was ever so impressed by my HbA1C, and even took notes when I told her about my way of eating. "Only above ground veggies? Brilliant!No fruit!? o_O True, fruit does make your BS shoot up".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. briped

I. Love. That. Word. So. Much!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Different doctors have different ideas about statins. My husband has T2 but has never had high cholesterol so statins were never suggested by the doctor. Last September he had a heart attack not a big one but enough for stents to be put in his arteries He was put on 80mg of Atorvastatin a day when he came home. When he had a GP appointment a few weeks ago I mentioned the statins and said were they a good thing for him to take as he is 86 and had never had high cholesterol and I had read somewhere it might not be a good idea to give statins to the over 80's. He said to come off them as he did not think there was any benefit in him taking them now so now he is not taking them. I do not know what the cardiologist will say next time he sees him. Has anyone here been put on them after having had a heart attack but did not take them before for high cholesterol

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My wife had a heart attack 5 years ago and was put on Atorvastatin although she has never had high cholesterol. As she hasn't had any heart trouble since, I am certainly not going to suggest she stops taking them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jomary

Jomary Type 2 · Active Member

My lovely Doctor is well aware of my white coat syndrome, so I do a week of blood pressure readings before I see her

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Jomary

Jomary Type 2 · Active Member

I do this at home with my own monitor from boots

9. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I also get high BP when near scales in GPs surgeries.
    I was very interested in the information about the thyroid tests - mine are apparently OK, yet both my mother and older sister have needed thyroid hormone treatment and I have hair loss including my legs and arms (GP thought it was age related but I have hair loss, and the individual hairs are much thinner, all over.)
    I'm over 4 months into the first lot of treatment from the dermatologist - which hasn't helped. Second appt due in a month or two.
    Hope your goes better!

10. briped

I thought it was age related too, till my GP convinced me otherwise.
    I'm sorry to hear that, and it doesn't exactly make me feel optimistic about the dermatologist project. What sort of treatment are you on? Tablets? Special shampoo? Sometimes I get this feeling that they're fishing for solutions.

11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I haven't had my BP checked for more than 6mths.
    I know if higher bgs then my head pulsates in bed.
    Good bgs can influence steady BP. For me.

My bg varies alot throughout my stressful day.
    However my up coming op should reduce my BP tablets. :) :) :)

12. briped

Do you have a date yet?

13. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realise white coat syndrome was so common. I'm the other way around. Measurements at home are consistently 136/96, but in the consultants weighting room 128/82. I got curious at one point and took my own machine in, thinking it might be calibrated wrong, but no, it's a genuine effect. I have lower blood pressure at the doctors.

Weight is also different, but I stand on the scales naked at home, and can't see the doc approving that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. WJP1055

WJP1055 Type 1 · Active Member

I'm confused folks. I haven't had fasting bloods done in years. The blood for my HBA1C, cholesterol and other bodily functions tests are taken whenever I can get to the hospital. Therfore does it matter if you fast or not. In our area it seems not to.

15. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You are correct. I have always had to fast with my annual Cholesterol test over the past 14 years. Only water is ever allowed.

16. derry60

That is unusual regarding your BP being lower at the doctors it is usually higher at docs. The doctors usually allow for BP to be higher at their surgeries. My doctor takes mine twice, as they allow for nerves.

17. derry60

When I go to the doctors I always say to her " I don't want to know my weight, so don't tell me lol" Last spring, she said " I won't tell you, your weight but you have lost weight, so that was good enough for me. I always go by my clothes. I am due for my check up this coming May. I doubt I have lost anymore though. I would like to lose more. I think I may be eating too much meat, cos I am a piggy lol..I am planning to cut my portion sizes with my broccoli and cauliflower also. Just over 3 grams carbs for a 100 gram. I probably have 200 grams of broccoli and the same with Cauliflower as I often have both together. That would make over 12 grams carbs. Carbs are carbs whether veg or not. I just need to cut the portion sizes, maybe I will kick start the weight again.

18. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Before July, if no emergency cases inbetween. :)

19. briped

That's soon. I hope you'll find yourself in much better health afterwards. Holding my fingers crossed :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Me too.
    Ive lost 11kgs since September but have stalled losing again. No add though.
    My BP varies hour by hour. I will be thankful for blood pressure tablet reduction.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook