Definition of Diabetes

Bellx15

Dislikes
Bigotry, prejudice, insincerity, blind deference to authority. The medical / pharmaceutical industry's shameless exploitation of people for profit.
I'm having a big problem getting my head around this, so I'd appreciate any experts on here who can clarify things for me.

I finally got to see a 'diabetes nurse' a few days ago, and I found our conversation very frustrating (and unhelpful). She wanted me to just accept that i now have diabetes, on the basis of two readings of my fasting BG taken weeks and months ago. She didn't exactly say that they constituted valid diagnostic criteria, but she did say that my BGs would never get that high unless I were diabetic.

So let me accept that as a starting point. I must be diabetic if I had two high FBG readings in the past couple of months or so. OK. Definition accepted for now.

Next, what would be the diagnostic criteria for me having ceased to be a diabetic? I've encountered this 'diabetic for life' approach, according to which you can never stop being a diabetic - you can only hope to get it under control. So let's suppose I do get it under control (and I seem to be doing so already). But that seems a bit ridiculous. Unless there is reason to say that permanent and irreparable damage to my system has manifested the diabetes, as for example if my pancreas packed up for good, there has to be at least a logical possibility of eliminating the condition. Suppose, for example, I were to recover my health to the point of having completely normal BG readings for the next year, living a healthy lifestyle with no meds. Wouldn't that constitute no longer being diabetic?

The prevailing view seems to be that once a diabetic always a diabetic, but if that just means that once you have produced two high readings they are not going to be forgotten, what is the point of that?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a medical person

My take on this is that I can get my blood sugar levels down to non-Diabetic rates and stay there for years, but I will always have the potential to became Diabetic again in the future if i start eating carbs etc.

Its not like getting over pneumonia or something. It can be controlled, but not eradicated.

Hopefully someone more expert will come along and explain this better.

paragliderpete

Hi sorry to hear you've joined the big club. Sounds like you you are still in a bit of a flat spin, and havn't had much explained to you . You will find I think Daisy will post you a welcome with a lot of information. It's a great forum for help and advice.
If you want to learn more then a very good book to purchase is Dr Richard Bernstiens Diabetes solution. I use it as my main reference.

As a quick answer to your question regarding remission / control. You will find that over time you will be able to normalise your blood sugar readings, possibly by diet only. but may need some help with a few tablets. However you will find that you are still intolerent to glucose. I think you could not class yourself as cured untill such time as a 2hr oral glucose tolerence test came back within the normal range.

Best of luck in your quest. The only thing that keeps me focused is the hope that one day I'll find a cure. But I suspect we all live in the same hope.

Defren

The basis for a T2 diabetes diagnosis is that the pancreas is not working as it should. This means that it doesn't produce enough insulin to cover the food we eat, so we have the top symptom of the condition, high blood sugar. Controlling the condition can be done, myself and many, many people on this forum do it very successfully. My own GP said on Wednesday when I went for my HbA1c result, my diabetes was in remission, and when I get to a BMI of around 20 then my practice will class me as non diabetic. HOWEVER, if you read any literature, then it states the beta cells in your pancreas can't regenerate, so once you have a knackered pancreas, only good control will you with healthy and safe BG's. If you get your condition to normal non diabetic readings (mine are) and then were classed as a non diabetic, but then went ahead and scoffed loads of carbs, you better believe those diabetic BG's will be back with a vengeance.

A

Anonymous

I concur with what the others have said. I think the difficulty for type 2's is that, broadly, diagnosis is given on the basis of symptoms. There are tests that can be done that will help confirm the diagnosis (cpeptide, GAD etc) but what we hear is that there's no need to confirm the diagnosis if your readings are high. If they go high you must be diabetic.
Your body is supposed to regulate your sugar levels automatically - perhaps like a thermostat might control the heating in your house. You don't need to know 'why' your sugars aren't being regulated if the treatment is the same.
I don't agree with this approach by the way - I want to know why my diabetes doesn't respond to some oral meds and whether I have a chance of coming off insulin. But I have to press my GP pretty hard to get these investigations and I still don't really know.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
In T2 you have two things going on.

Firstly their is the damage that has been done to your pancreas over the period of time your levels ran high without anyone realising. This will have killed off a proportion of your insulin production capability. As the cells that produce insulin do not regenerate that is the reason for "once a diabetic always a diabetic"

Secondly and just as importantly a T2 will have a problem called insulin resistance. This means that any insulin resistance you have will be stopping the insulin you do produce from working as it should. Luckily you can do something about insulin resistance. In most cases you simply need to lose weight as the resistance is essentially caused by too much fat. If you lose the fat your insulin resitance will lessen and the insulin you produce will work as it was intended.

The issue is therefore the balance you have between the proportion of remaining insulin production you have compared to how much of your problem is insulin resistance. A c-peptide test will tell you how much insulin you are producing however your GP is unlikely to give you one as it costs around £250.

If the vast majority of your problem is insulin resistance then adopting a low carb diet that will help to keep your levels safe and help you lose weight is ideal as when you have lost enough weight your insulin resistance will be gone and you will essentially be non diabetic. This is what most people who are diagnosed PRE DIABETIC are able to achieve.

The problem is once you have reached a level where you get diagnosed DIABETIC then it is likely that a fair proportion of your condition will be because you are no longer producing adequate insulin so even if you lose all the weight and therefore all the insulin resistance you will still need to effectively keep on a low carb regime to allow the reduced amount of insulin you produce to cover the amount of carbohydrate you consume.

If you eat too many carbs your blood levels will be too high and cause complications (blindness, amputations etc and more loss of insulin producing cells). Your choice is then to take strong diabetic medicines that force your pancreas to produce more insulin and probably shorten its life which will lead to having to go on insulin injections or to simply elect for insulin right at the start. This is why diabetes is termed a progressive disease

In recent years its become more and more recognised by many health systems that keeping to a low carb diet will hopefully avoid that progression as your blood levels will be pretty normal so extra damage will stop or progress only very slowly. As a consequence diabetics who do a low carb regime can control their condition using what they eat and maybe also take a non insulin stimulating drug like Metformin to aid them a little.

Bellx15

Dislikes
Bigotry, prejudice, insincerity, blind deference to authority. The medical / pharmaceutical industry's shameless exploitation of people for profit.
OK, so the central point is that there are enduring, defined, physical disorders that render someone as an ongoing diabetic. That's fine - totally comprehensible. A pity my GP practice didn't manage to explain it.

So even if I need to continue with a very strict diet and exercise regime, I will regard myself as healthy. What would happen if I were to adopt a different lifestyle is not too important to me.

Thanks.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bellx15 said:
OK, so the central point is that there are enduring, defined, physical disorders that render someone as an ongoing diabetic. That's fine - totally comprehensible. A pity my GP practice didn't manage to explain it.

So even if I need to continue with a very strict diet and exercise regime, I will regard myself as healthy. What would happen if I were to adopt a different lifestyle is not too important to me.

Thanks.

Yes but the key to stopping the condition from progressing is to adopt the right very strict diet regime. The issue to recognise here is that while you would be told all about adopting a low carb diet in many countries at the moment you are likely to find that you will not get told this by your GP, DSN or dietician. In the UK the "healthy" diet is recommended to all the population be they diabetic or not. That diet says eat 50% of your intake as carbs and make sure 33% of that 50% is starchy carbs. That to many of us is nonsense as it equates to telling alcoholics to drink vast quantities of vodka. Effectively the UK says eat carbs and we will treat the high blood levels you will get with drugs and when they stop working you can go on insulin. Far better is to recognise (as they did up to the 1980's) that maybe a different diet should be recommended to diabetics.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bellx15
I, like several others who have answered your question, have kept my blood glucose to non-diabetic levels for several years. So how do Iknow I'm not cured?
If I slip up on my VLCHF diet, my blood glucose will sneak up a bit. From that, Iextrapolate to the belief that if Iate the "Normal" high carb diet, Iwould have high blood glucose. this Idon't allow myself to do. By constant vigilance and frequent testing, i remain healthy and in control. It's probably the best Ican do, Iavoid complications that way.
Hana

Bellx15

Dislikes
Yes, I've had the carb diet from my nurse already, and as you will know, it is in the official NHS leaflet. It doesn't make any sense to me either, and I am frankly dumbfounded that the NHS just seems to blindly hang onto it.

There's a great series of videos (five parts) on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHKk5l7 ... playnext=6

What this guy explains is all what I thought already, as a matter of common sense. My high BGs developed because my lifestyle was appallingly unhealthy - regular drinking and zero exercise. It doesn't follow that it is not reversible by way of an appropriate readjustment in lifestyle. Certainly, it is possible to re-establish healthy BG levels with diet and exercise (I've already done it), but further, I don't see any evidence that the insulin resistance is irreparable either.

By the way, I am equally sceptical about the NHS's motives for pushing the carbs. I taught medical ethics at postgrad level for a number of years, and my degree of scepticism got worse the more I looked into it.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bellx15 said:
Certainly, it is possible to re-establish healthy BG levels with diet and exercise (I've already done it), but further, I don't see any evidence that the insulin resistance is irreparable either.

By the way, I am equally sceptical about the NHS's motives for pushing the carbs. I taught medical ethics at postgrad level for a number of years, and my degree of scepticism got worse the more I looked into it.

Good for you (on the healthy BG levels). All of us who have done that know both how good it makes you feel for what is initially at least a decent amount of effort. So well done again.

I have never been one for conspiracy theories but have come to believe the NHS carb thing maybe an exception. When you start to discover people like Kellogg's are backers of DUK it does make you think. Why would a supposedly health conscious charity even accept their cash etc. There are a lot of vested interests in protecting the status quo.

Bellx15

Dislikes

Bellx15

Dislikes
I think that seems to be about it.

But the irony is, of course, that they are not, in fact, normal. They are the levels of carb intake foisted upon us by the modern food industry. The 'low-carb' diet we are all trying to maintain is very similar to the diet of our ancestors - the diet we evolved with.

So for anyone who is successfully managing their BG levels by diet and exercise alone, the answer to the question "So in what sense am I still diabetic?" appears to be, "In the sense that your BG-management system can't cope adequately with the junk diet most people have."

A

Anonymous

Bellx15 said:
So for anyone who is successfully managing their BG levels by diet and exercise alone, the answer to the question "So in what sense am I still diabetic?" appears to be, "In the sense that your BG-management system can't cope adequately with the junk diet most people have."

Hmmn, I think that's pushing the point a little far. Whilst it is possible, I suspect, to reverse insulin resistance with the correct diet (and I suspect I have already done that), a damaged pancreas is just that, damaged. I can reduce the load it has to deal with and perhaps make my beta cell's be sufficient for the load - but I can't repair those damaged cells. It's a dangerous line to suggest that those who can do it all on 'diet and exercise' are somehow non-diabetic. We are all dealing with differing levels of the same condition.

Mileana

While I agree that that the standard diet advice is cetainly no good for most type 2 diabetics, I think it's important to note that for some people it is just fine advice. For non-diabetics it can be. For athletes too. Otherwise the entire population would be diabetic. I can't say there is not an element of conspiration theory somewhere but for the general population, eating wholemeal products, two pieces of fruit and so on each day does not seem to be a major problem. The problem comes when those of us who are prone to developing diabetes are not told what aspects of our diet, baseline healthy or not, we need to cut down on. One day in the future when all is good, people will get targeted advice and someone will tell a prediabetic - Look mate, normally we recommend so and so, but something is up with your blood sugar, you seem to not be in the majority - try this instead... And that advice would then be 'look at your carbs - your body doesn't process it well'.

For most people carbs with lots of fibre is an alright thing to eat, and calling that junk is pointless. However, for people who are to some degree carb intolerant the advice should be different.

Now, I don't want to make this sound as 'blame' but we can probably all agree that carbs hidden in transfats is not good for anyone and that processed carbs is the least helpful thing anyone can eat - but to a wide degree, that is already in the advice - eat less junk, eat 'food' instead.

The problem is that the advice does not change depending on who the advice is given to. If it were, I think most things could be avoided or dealt with far sooner.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Mileana said:
While I agree that that the standard diet advice is cetainly no good for most type 2 diabetics, I think it's important to note that for some people it is just fine advice. For non-diabetics it can be. For athletes too. Otherwise the entire population would be diabetic. I can't say there is not an element of conspiration theory somewhere but for the general population, eating wholemeal products, two pieces of fruit and so on each day does not seem to be a major problem. The problem comes when those of us who are prone to developing diabetes are not told what aspects of our diet, baseline healthy or not, we need to cut down on. One day in the future when all is good, people will get targeted advice and someone will tell a prediabetic - Look mate, normally we recommend so and so, but something is up with your blood sugar, you seem to not be in the majority - try this instead... And that advice would then be 'look at your carbs - your body doesn't process it well'.

For most people carbs with lots of fibre is an alright thing to eat, and calling that junk is pointless. However, for people who are to some degree carb intolerant the advice should be different.

Now, I don't want to make this sound as 'blame' but we can probably all agree that carbs hidden in transfats is not good for anyone and that processed carbs is the least helpful thing anyone can eat - but to a wide degree, that is already in the advice - eat less junk, eat 'food' instead.

The problem is that the advice does not change depending on who the advice is given to. If it were, I think most things could be avoided or dealt with far sooner.
Totally agree; I think moderation and trying to stick to RDA is the order of the day for most, but as so often said on here. A lot of people just don't know what is a moderate healthy balanced diet or the RDA. Busy Mum's, People on the go eating fast food because of time constraints, the food industry hiding carb's and modifying processed foods. The whole diet plan need's re-modeling, and it has to be put out there in education at early age and in the GP's surgery as aggressively as the anti smoking campaigns. Until I was diagnosed in May I had no Idea of the amount of hidden dangers in the food we eat, and the horrors of eating them! Thank God I found this site and with researching myself, saw the light. But if it was left up to my DB nurse and dietitian, I would be merrily eating myself into complications more med's and an early grave.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mileana said:
While I agree that that the standard diet advice is cetainly no good for most type 2 diabetics, I think it's important to note that for some people it is just fine advice.

Yes you are entirely right to point that out and I agree. In terms of dietary regime if you are not T2 then it's a whole new ball game and a whole range of dietary regimes can been seen to be healthy depending on a whole range of other personal circumstances. It is the opposition to admitting that if you are T2 that you should explicitly "look to your carbs" that is suspicious as it is such blindingly obvious advice.

The conspiracy theorist in me says a possible reason is if they admit carbs are the problem for T2 then it opens the debate as to WHY they are the problem. At that point questioning if the whole UK 5-a-day low fat 50% carb diet is actually one of the healthy dietary choices would undoubtedly be raised. That would open up the whole subject open to discussion where there are many vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

... but I don't do conspiracy theories ... :lol:

Bellx15

Dislikes
No, I wasn't saying such D&E successes are non-diabetic; just that their diabetes amounts to a surviving inability to manage excessive levels of carb intake, as SouthernGeneral6512 suggested.

If that inability is attributable to a damaged pancreas, though (as a separate point), I also wonder whether it is true that a damaged pancreas is incapable of regeneration. The liver is self-repairing, for example, and a biochemist friend of mine has explained to me that:

It might be one of three things.
> The first is that you are not producing enough insulin ( the hormone
> that stimulates cells to uptake glucose). If this is the case the
> pancreas (islets of Langerhans) may be active but "lazy" and need some
> stimulus to allow you to produce your own insulin.

As you rightly observe, we are all at our own stage of the disorder, but for someone who is still able to manage a controlled intake of carbs it might well be that the pancreas can still be 'kick-started' back into full functionality.

At this point I am speculating, of course, but my point is just that it would be premature to give up hope and resign oneself to a lifetime of medication.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
After reading the post from Bellx15, I thought I would post a transcript of what the Videos where basically saying but from an Interview I found, for us to read and comment on, overall I think he talks great sense with regard to taking responsibility and control of DB, and again confirming the benefits of reducing the amount of carbohydrates and increasing exercise, fats and proteins. As for the drug that would be a different issue?

An interview with Syntra-5 product formulator, Ken Hampshire

Interviewer:

Hello everyone. I’m here today with Ken Hampshire, the product formulator with Syntratech Corp. of Denver, CO. Syntratech has been formulating and marketing high-quality dietary supplements for nearly 15 years. Back in 1999, Ken began working with Dr. Vern Cherewatenko on a new product for diabetes–not just any product, but one that would really help diabetics with blood glucose and weight loss. I’m here, some 11 years later, to ask Ken some questions about diabetes and what people who have diabetes can do about it. Ken welcome.

Ken:

Thank You.

Interviewer:

It seems diabetes is all over the place. What’s going on?

Ken:

You know, I have a phrase that seems to sum it up, “Forty, fat, and defeated.” I’ve talked to thousands of diabetics over the last 11 years, and I’ve heard every story in the book. People are living what they think is a perfectly normal and healthy life, and all of a sudden, bam, their doctor says they’ve got elevated cholesterol, their blood pressure is too high, and they need to lose 25 lbs. It’s like one day I was 18 and healthy and the next, staring at prescriptions and pre-diabetes. This isn’t the way it’s supposed to be.

As Western lifestyle norms spread around the globe, diabetes and other lifestyle diseases quickly follow. Obviously, something is real wrong with the Western lifestyle.

Interviewer:

Yes, let’s talk about that. What are we doing wrong?

Ken:

Just about everything. From improper diet to lack of exercise or physical activity to toxic substances. Perhaps the two worst enemies of proper nutrition are soda pop, and processed foods.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that consumption of soft drinks has increased 500% in the last 50 years. During that time, childhood obesity in the U.S. jumped 54% for 6-11 year-olds, and 40% for adolescents. A typical 12 oz. can of soda pop has 40-45 grams of carbohydrate. To give you an idea, that’s about 50% more carbohydrate than a diabetic should consume in an entire day! Worse, carbs from a soda are totally worthless carbs. Soda drinks assault the body while it starves.

Processed foods are the other culprits that are everywhere. People should eat real food. Real food is what grows on a tree, bush, vine, plant, underground, or walks around on 4 legs! Real food should look like real food when you eat it. When’s the last time you ate French fries from a French fry tree? Or something from a Hambergerhelper bush?

Sometimes food still looks real but isn’t. Like all the sugar and salt in canned and processed products. This is madness and we have to get back to eating real food the way nature intended it to be eaten.

I talked with Dr. Bill Releford, an amputation surgeon in LA some months ago about this, and he said that he didn’t see us getting out of this problem unless we start eating a primitive diet.

Think of it this way, when you go shopping, shop only around the outside of the store. That’s where the vegetables, meats, and fruits are-generally the best food choices for diabetics.

And then there’s exercise, or should I say, the lack of exercise. In a recent study done at Masstricht University, The Netherlands, it was found that modern activity levels have declined some 56% since the early 19th. century. Stated another way, historical people expended 2.3 times more energy every day than their modern equivalents. Our modern conveniences are simply killing us.

Interviewer:

Real food. Good. Exercise. Got it. Anything else about our current system that needs changing?

Ken:

Oh yes, how about the way our doctor/hospital system works?

Interviewer:

I thought the U.S. had the best hospitals and doctors in the world.

Ken:

For some things we do. If you’re in a car accident for example, the emergency room in a good American hospital is where you want to be. But if you’re the typical American, struggling with weight gain and high cholesterol, our so-called healthcare system is a dismal failure. It should more accurately be called the American diseasecare system. There is little if any incentive to produce health under the American system. Instead, we treat patients like they’re just numbers, moving them in and out as quick as possible and loading them up with an average of 32 prescriptions/year (Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, May 2009) by the time they reach 65.

We’ve been sold a bill of goods.

Interviewer:

What do you mean, “A bill of goods?”

Ken:

Something claiming to do one thing but doing another. We’re told we have the best healthcare system in the world. We don’t. In fact, by almost every measure, the U.S. has the worst healthcare in the developed world at the highest cost.

Interviewer:

Okay, Ken. This is good information, but most of us just don’t do what’s good for us. You’ve got an opinion why that is true. Care to share it with us?

Ken:

Sure. We’re controlled or brainwashed.

Interviewer:

By who?

Ken:

Many different people and organizations. As a people, Americans are very gullible. We believe things that people say that have no interest in our well being, in fact, many times our best interests are directly opposed to their interests. Take doctors for instance. Most of us think doctors are there to help us get well and be healthy. Well, if that really helped us get healthy, most of them would be unemployed with a quarter of a million dollars in unpaid student loans. Now doctors don’t generally think this consciously, but the whole industry is dependent upon disease and sickness, not wellness and health. Think about it. Do you suppose your local hospital wants to see every one healthy? How would they pay for their new MRI machine?

People believe things that are not correct just because they’ve been adopted by national medical and health organizations. Do you think this is a coincidence? The American Diabetes Association tells people it’s alright to eat sugar. The American Cancer Association says you should take dangerous medications to lower blood cholesterol levels when there is little to no clinical evidence to support the claim that lower cholesterol is healthier. Heavens, dietitians still think the body manufactures cholesterol out of dietary cholesterol!

Interviewer:

It doesn’t?

Ken:

No. It is manufactured out of glucose. The amount of fat and cholesterol you eat makes little difference in your blood cholesterol levels. But, if you consume large amounts of carbohydrates, your blood cholesterol levels will skyrocket.

Interviewer:

Wow. That’s amazing information.

Ken:

Simple and amazing, but your doctor won’t tell you that.

Interviewer:

Okay, you mentioned prescription drugs. Haven’t the drugs developed for diabetes over the last 40 - 50 years been good for those with diabetes?

Ken:

That depends on what you call “good.” Prescription drugs for diabetes don’t work very effectively. And they’re not safe.

Interviewer:

Tell us what you mean…

Ken:

Clinical studies done on the major prescription drugs for diabetes indicate about a 1% improvement in A1c among those who use them. Some a little better, some worse. Plus, they’ve all got serious side effects connected to them.

Drugs treat symptoms. That’s all. So don’t think that you can take a shot or pill and never have to worry about diabetes again. Nope, doesn’t work that way. The underlying cause of your diabetes is still there, in fact, for most people, those underlying factors are getting worse and worse because your body can’t compensate for our lifestyle mistakes as well as they could when we were 19 or 20. As we age, our ability to compensate declines, just as diabetes symptoms are increasing. This is why people think that diabetes comes on so quickly. It doesn’t really, it just seems that way because you have two opposing trends coming together.

So, drugs are no answer. In fact many times they make the problem worse.

Interviewer:

Really. How is that?

Ken:

The healthy human body has a wondrous system to regulate blood glucose within closely defined boundaries. Those boundaries are generally accepted to be between 65 mg/dL and 95 mg/dL. If the blood glucose rises over those levels, the body signals for the production of insulin to pull glucose out of the bloodstream to be stored, or to be transported to the cells for proper glucose metabolization. If blood glucose falls below these levels, the body signals for the production of glucagon which triggers release of glucose from the liver back into the bloodstream. It is a wonderfully simple yet complex system of two diametrically opposed hormones (insulin and glucagon) working together to achieve this balance. Pharmaceutical drugs interfere with how the body normally operates. In the case of diabetes, some pharmaceutical drugs change how the liver metabolizes or releases glucose, others change how much insulin the pancreas produces, etc. Before taking diabetic drugs, most people with chronic type 2 diabetes have one problem: keeping blood glucose levels from rising above normal. Their glucagon response mechanism for keeping their blood glucose from dropping too low is intact, so hypoglycemic episodes happen rarely if ever. But once diabetic drugs are taken, people with type 2 diabetes now have two problems: keeping their blood glucose levels from rising too high, and now also from falling too low! It would be one thing if pharmaceutical drugs actually worked and kept blood glucose from rising too high, but for most people they don't.

So, one problem is traded for two, in addition to serious side effects.

Interviewer:

That’s very interesting. You know, I think most people only think about insulin and diabetes. Glucagon also seems to be an important player in diabetes.

Ken:

Exactly. Every regulating system in the body, and there are hundreds, use two opposing hormones to keep the balance. In this case, insulin and glucagon.

Interviewer:

Is the seriousness of diabetes downplayed? I mean, do people really know how dangerous diabetes is?

Ken:

In a word, no. Most diabetics have no clue how serious diabetes is and how it will change their life forever. I mentioned this at the very beginning. Most people have no clue as to what diabetes is, how it works, and what it means to them.

Interviewer:

Can you explain it simply for everyone to understand?

Ken:

Of course. There are five stages of diabetes. Stage one is insulin resistance. This is when your body develops a resistance to the effects of insulin. For most people living a Western lifestyle, this process begins in the late teens or early twenties and progresses slowly for many, many years, usually decades before we ever know anything about it.

Stage two is when the body compensates for the increasing insulin resistance. Since the insulin is not working as efficiently as it used to, the body compensates by increasing production of insulin. This brings two results, one positive, one negative. The good thing is that increased levels of insulin keep blood glucose levels within normal levels. The bad thing is that the increased levels of insulin required to do that bring about damaging side effects. You see, elevated levels of insulin lead directly to an increased inflammatory response throughout the body.

Now, the inflammatory response is an important survival mechanism utilized by our immune systems to protect us from infectious agents, but when triggered over the long term, the inflammatory response mechanism can also turn on our own bodies, leading to hay fever, atherosclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. High insulin also triggers weight gain. It is through the years of stage two diabetes where most people add 10 to 100 lbs.

Stage three is when the pancreas can no longer increase insulin production to offset the insulin resistance. You now have high levels of insulin, sometimes 2 to 5 times normal levels, and your blood glucose levels begin to rise above normal for the first time. This is when your doctor says, “You have diabetes.” In truth, diabetes started for you years and years ago.

Stage three marks the end of what I call the “honeymoon period.” Up to this time, your diabetes has not been serious enough to even get your attention. Sure, you don’t have as much energy as you used to and you get sore more often, but things are still okay by and large. Well, that’s about to change. Your body’s been under assault for decades now and it’s losing the battle. The proverbial chickens are about to come home to roost.

Stage four is chronic diabetes, high insulin levels and high glucose levels. This is the worst of all worlds. Not only are you now seeing the direct effect of high insulin levels (elevated cholesterol, triglycerides, and high blood pressure), but now the damaging effects of high glucose begin to take their toll as well. High glucose interferes with our immune system, so you get sick more often. You feel fatigued or weak as your body’s cells are starved of glucose, women get more yeast infections, and systemic candida infections occur. Risk of amputation increases as limbs lose their blood supply and nerves die, and you risk losing both your eyesight and kidney function. Both men and women see their sexual expression disappear as erectile dysfunction and vaginal dryness take their toll. All in all, not a pretty picture.

Stage five is when your pancreas, after producing all the insulin it can for many years, finally gives up. Insulin production plummets, sometimes quickly, and your glucose levels skyrocket. You are now a classic type 1 diabetic without the ability to even produce insulin. For most people at this stage, damage has been severe. Obesity is almost a certainty. Mobility is reduced to a minimum, sight is failing, sensation has been lost in the extremities and many have had multiple amputations. Some are on kidney dialysis.

You know, it is a real shame that most people don’t even find out that diabetes has started until it is at stage three. I have argued for years that insulin testing should be routine at all medical checkups. This could give people years or decades of advance warning that they need to change their lifestyle.

Interviewer:

Wow. I suspect that discussion really got people’s attention.

Ken:

Well, if it didn’t it should have.

Interviewer:

Okay, what can people do. I mean, how do we turn this around for say, the average person who just found out they have diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Ken:

Yes. People at this stage in life are likely angry, disillusioned, with little hope for the future. Well, I’m here to tell you, you shouldn’t be angry, you needn’t be disillusioned, and there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I’m here to tell you that if you want to get well, I mean really well, get off insulin/get off drugs and have normal insulin levels well, you can. I will tell you how.

First, diabetes should not be labeled a disease. We label type 2 diabetes a disease when it should more accurately be called a disorder. This is a small but important distinction. Most people understand the definition of disease, and indeed part of the official definition is, a condition caused by an invading microbiological agent. None of us would hold anyone at fault who is suffering from typhus or small pox.

But diabetes is different. It isn't contagious. You don't "catch" diabetes from your neighbor walking down the sidewalk. Diabetes is nearly 100% caused by those who have it. If you have diabetes, it is your fault.

If we allow ourselves to be convinced that diabetes is not our fault, we lose the only real weapon we have to combat it. Calling diabetes a disease, excuses personal responsibility to change lifestyle, and leaves the person who has it without the most valuable asset he/she has in fighting it–themselves. And improper lifestyle is what got us here in the first place.

What we do know is this, diabetes is nearly 100% man-made. There's a small genetic component, but most of what diabetes is, we do to ourselves. Diabetes is a breakdown in proper lifestyle – insufficient activity and exercise, and improper diet. Diabetes is a disorder of nutrition, and the science of nutrition is the only thing that will treat and cure it ultimately. If you ignore a proper diet, you will travel the same path that millions of other diabetics in this country travel – one of gradually worsening diabetic symptoms, systemic nerve damage, tingling in the feet and loss of feeling leading to the loss of toes, feet, fingers, and limbs, liver damage, and kidney failure.

Diabetes is like a runaway freight train. It doesn't slow down or stop. We know where it starts, travels, and ends. And it always ends in the same place. It crashes and burns and you become another diabetic statistic.

Diabetes is progressive and cumulative. It doesn't wait or slow down. It doesn't take a vacation. It doesn't give you a few days to rest or recover. No. It attacks every part of your body without letting up,,,ever.

In the movie Terminator, this dialogue occurs as Sarah bites Kyle's hand...

Kyle Reese: Cyborgs don't feel pain. I do. Don't do that again.

Sarah Connor: Just let me go!

Kyle Reese: Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

That's what diabetes is, a terminator.

Unless you make some drastic changes in how you live, diabetes will take you out. If you don't get off the diabetic freight train right now, you never will. Diabetes is progressive, it will be harder tomorrow to make these changes, and harder the day after that. Get it through your head. You are in the fight for your life.

Diabetes is much more a psychological battle than a physiological one. If it were only the physical challenges that were important, we would have diabetes licked tomorrow morning, but its the mental challenges that are the hard ones. Will you decide to stand up, fight against the hoards of doomed people getting on the diabetic freight train, and say, "I've had enough of this and I'm getting off this train!"

Getting over diabetes is as simple as making a decision in your mind. Make the decision. It happens in the snap of the fingers. Decide you've had enough and make the decision. There is no middle ground in the battle, either you win or you lose. You don't "try" to improve you diet. YOU'VE GOT NO CHOICE! Change how you live or die. It’s that simple.

You may think you're the only one who these diabetic drugs aren't working for. You're thinking, "If I could just get the dosage right or the right combination of drugs, then my blood glucose would be normal. Well, you're wrong. These drugs don't work for anybody. Their own research shows that. There's no magic pill. Diabetes is your fault. The sooner you understand that, the better your chance of survival.

I'm not here to simply be the deliverer of bad news, or to tell you how to live your life. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Interviewer:

interrupting... “but my doctor tells me diabetes isn't my fault and if he can just get the drugs right I'll be fine.”

Ken:

“Okay, so you really believe that you can continue to be 50 lbs. overweight and eat whatever you want to and your doctor will somehow make it all better. Well, I got news for you. You can't, and if that's what your doctor said, he's an idiot.

This isn't about your doctor, its about you. Its about taking responsibility for your own health. When are you going to have enough? Aren't you sick and tired of being sick and tired yet?

Let me understand this, you think you're eating right or close to it, you think your doctor will get your prescription right, or the right combination of prescriptions, and you'll be fine, won't have to change anything substantial in your life.

Ever see the Dr. Phil show? I'll ask you what Dr. Phil asks his guests when they are living in lala land, "How's that been working for 'ya?"

You've gotta decide to take responsibility for your health right now, or you will likely die of diabetes. You got kids? You got grandkids? You wanna see 'em grow up?”

Interviewer:

“yes, yes, yes....”

Ken:

“Well, then get the job done. Nobody else will. Do you think your doctor really cares if you die before your grandson learns to walk? If he did, we wouldn't be having this conversation? No, this is your choice.

Did you remember Star Wars when Yoda is teaching Luke about the force? Luke is trying to use the force to lift his ship out of the swamp but he can't do it. You remember? Do you remember what he said? After the ship sinks back into the swamp, he says, "We'll never get it out now." And then...

Yoda: So certain are you? Always with you it cannot be done. Do you nothing that I say?

Luke: Master, moving stones around is one thing, but this is totally different.

Yoda: NO! No different. Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.

Luke: Alright. I'll give it a try.

Yoda: No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

The same here. Don't tell me you will try to lose weight or change what you eat. Do or don't do. The choice is yours.

Interviewer:

Wow, Ken. I doubt people have ever heard anything quite like that. Is diabetes really this bad and really this simple?

Ken:

Absolutely. You are your own master. I often tell people, “Healthy people to healthy things.” You want to be healthy, start doing healthy things. You will feel better, your body will respond, and yes, your glucose will come to normal. I guarantee it.

Interviewer:

You guarantee it? Pretty strong words.

Ken:

I guarantee it. Look, this isn’t some mystical cult belief. Things work the way they do for a reason. If you abuse your body with an improper diet and lifestyle, it’ll stumble and break down without fail. On the other hand, if you treat your body to a proper diet and stay fit, it’ll reward you with a life filled with happiness and vigor.

There are millions of people with diabetes who are depressed, defeated, thinking there is no way to turn. Well, there is. You need only to believe it to begin the process. Change your diet and lifestyle and you will get your life back. Your future will be better than your present.