• Start Date

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I love our free democratic society. If you don't do something the government thinks you need then they tax you to death instead.

Nanny state springs to mind

AMBrennan

Well, let's hope that it encourages manufacturers to make healthier food to avoid the price increase - blaming consumers for buying unhealthy food is silly if there are no healthy alternatives. The problem is that those tasked with making healthy food (i.e. industry) care about selling their products and not our health, and unhealthy food (high salt, sugar) sells better.

Unbeliever

Saw interview today when Cameron was asked about this .. he wouldn't commit himself . Said they were looking at it but thought it might impact too greatly on lower -income families..

So no stereotyping there thank goodness.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I believe that the fundemental problem is the experts disagree about what is a healthy food.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This STINKS! Like clearviews said - unless they can agree on what is healthy, how can they decide what to tax?

Would coconut oil be taxed? Butter? Cheese?

Would bread be taxed? Pasta? Rice?

This has got disaster written all over it.

Unbeliever

Yes indeed. What is a healthy diet? And healthy for whom? The experts will never be able to agree and when they evenually compromise the advice willl change every week.
Can you imagine all the different groups lobbying o try to get heir product off the hit list!

probably easier just to tax it all. Hope that doesn't put ideas into anyone's head.

Grazer

Fat Tax

So Denmark has introduced a "Fat tax", and now David Cameron is considering it. His aim is to levy a considerable extra tax on products with a high fat content, such as cheese. Not great for those of us who eat restricted carbs and make up for it with things like cheese! Particularly annoying as his aim is to reduce obesity, but many of us know that is caused at least as much by carbs! Should we be trying to bring this to his attention?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Re: Fat Tax

Cool
Fish and Chips in the duty free at the airport

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

And cross-channel trips to stock up on Pies..

"They're ALL for my own personal use, Mr. Customs Officer!"

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Our government SURELY can't be foolish enough to do this? They made the mistake YEARS ago demonising Fat, and look how many of us are now suffering!

Cheap food is unhealthy food. Just look how cheap frozen chips, bread, etc... is.

If they FORCE the population to eat that cheap **** by making everything else unaffordablE - THEY'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INEVITABLE CONSEQUENCES.

They tried to stop us all becoming overweight by telling us not to eat what THEY THOUGHT was making us fat.

They wouldn't DARE set themselves up like that (again).

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Do you think us skinnies should start a petition or at least apply for an exemption on medical grounds :?
CAROL

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm looking forward to buying Black Market Pork Scratchings.

AMBrennan

Sorry but you are simply wrong to make these conclusions (unless you happen to know what would have happened if they had recommended a high fat diet, which you cannot).

At the end of the day, the question is whether or not there is any evidence for the claim that low-carb is better (consider that the best diet for BG is no good if it causes worse health problems in the long run.
If there is evidence, then the NHS/ NICE/whoever makes these recommendations would have to very stupid and/or malevolent, which I think is unlikely.
If there is no evidence, which seems likely given the above, then your theory is no better than any other and you can't make any such claims.
Fun fact: The first chapter of Dr Bernstein's book consists entirely of customer testimonials telling us how awesome he and his alleged diabetes solution is...

C

catherinecherub

I agree, we don't all use a high fat approach to obtain management of our condition.

Low fat does not always mean that people revert to low fat products as these are not suitable for diabetics either, it means they moderate their fat intake.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
AMBrennan said:
Sorry but you are simply wrong to make these conclusions (unless you happen to know what would have happened if they had recommended a high fat diet, which you cannot).

At the end of the day, the question is whether or not there is any evidence for the claim that low-carb is better (consider that the best diet for BG is no good if it causes worse health problems in the long run.
If there is evidence, then the NHS/ NICE/whoever makes these recommendations would have to very stupid and/or malevolent, which I think is unlikely.
If there is no evidence, which seems likely given the above, then your theory is no better than any other and you can't make any such claims.
Fun fact: The first chapter of Dr Bernstein's book consists entirely of customer testimonials telling us how awesome he and his alleged diabetes solution is...

Crikey.

You would have fit in great around here 6 months ago...

:wink: Just kidding. Let's not derail this thread, eh?

Peace, Love and Lard.

pianoman

catherinecherub said:
I agree, we don't all use a high fat approach to obtain management of our condition.

Low fat does not always mean that people revert to low fat products as these are not suitable for diabetics either, it means they moderate their fat intake.
In much the same way that high fat does not mean people sit around eating from tubs of lard with a spoon but instead just revert to eating real whole unadulterated food as our Grandparents did -- also a moderate approach :D