1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dental Implants & Type 1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by textaddict83, Feb 16, 2016.

1. textaddict83

textaddict83 · Newbie

Hi there

I've been type 1 for 20 years and in the last 5 years I had to have my two front teeth removed (due to an accident). Now my dentist is talking about dental implants but has said that I have about an 80% chance of healing without any problems. I did the DAFNE course in 2013 (a real eye opener) and managed to get my hba1c down from 10.8 to 7. However, due to IBS related issues my hba1c went back up in December 2015 to 8.3. I am working to try and get the levels back down again but the dentist is pushing for me to have the first procedure done in June this year. Have any of you had dental implants and how did you heal? What were your levels like immediately before you went for the first procedure?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
    Textaddict83

2. AlbertoLaidlaw

AlbertoLaidlaw Type 2 · Active Member

3. AlbertoLaidlaw

AlbertoLaidlaw Type 2 · Active Member

I was told by my dentist that because of my type 2 I might have issues with an implant so I went for a bridge which has proved to be great without any risks. Maybe you should discuss this with your dentist

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi I am looking at having 2 implants - as long as your control is pretty good there isn't a problem with this procedure at all, the only issue with raised BG is the possibility for infections, that's why they say 80% and not 100%, there is an allowance for risk. I have already had one implant years before type 1 popped up and it's been fine, I personally would go for it, as they are front teeth the implant option is much better for the long term than a bridge, good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

I had 2 implants done just over 2 years ago and I have had no problems nor any infections. I use Chlohexidine Antiseptic mouthwash after brushing my teeth, as recommended by the Dentist.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

Hi I'm type 2 diet controlled. I had sepsis and serious complications after surgery 2 yrs ago so my dental surgeon won't do an implant for me BUT he did say that had that not happened he would have done the surgery with the understanding that I took a preventative course of antibiotics. He does this with all his diabetic patients of long standing

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook