Dental Implants & Type 1

textaddict83

Hi there

I've been type 1 for 20 years and in the last 5 years I had to have my two front teeth removed (due to an accident). Now my dentist is talking about dental implants but has said that I have about an 80% chance of healing without any problems. I did the DAFNE course in 2013 (a real eye opener) and managed to get my hba1c down from 10.8 to 7. However, due to IBS related issues my hba1c went back up in December 2015 to 8.3. I am working to try and get the levels back down again but the dentist is pushing for me to have the first procedure done in June this year. Have any of you had dental implants and how did you heal? What were your levels like immediately before you went for the first procedure?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
Textaddict83

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hi there

I've been type 1 for 20 years and in the last 5 years I had to have my two front teeth removed (due to an accident). Now my dentist is talking about dental implants but has said that I have about an 80% chance of healing without any problems. I did the DAFNE course in 2013 (a real eye opener) and managed to get my hba1c down from 10.8 to 7. However, due to IBS related issues my hba1c went back up in December 2015 to 8.3. I am working to try and get the levels back down again but the dentist is pushing for me to have the first procedure done in June this year. Have any of you had dental implants and how did you heal? What were your levels like immediately before you went for the first procedure?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
Textaddict83

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I was told by my dentist that because of my type 2 I might have issues with an implant so I went for a bridge which has proved to be great without any risks. Maybe you should discuss this with your dentist

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi I am looking at having 2 implants - as long as your control is pretty good there isn't a problem with this procedure at all, the only issue with raised BG is the possibility for infections, that's why they say 80% and not 100%, there is an allowance for risk. I have already had one implant years before type 1 popped up and it's been fine, I personally would go for it, as they are front teeth the implant option is much better for the long term than a bridge, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I had 2 implants done just over 2 years ago and I have had no problems nor any infections. I use Chlohexidine Antiseptic mouthwash after brushing my teeth, as recommended by the Dentist.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi I'm type 2 diet controlled. I had sepsis and serious complications after surgery 2 yrs ago so my dental surgeon won't do an implant for me BUT he did say that had that not happened he would have done the surgery with the understanding that I took a preventative course of antibiotics. He does this with all his diabetic patients of long standing