Dental x-ray

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone had a problems or concerns about wearing there pump and having an x-ray at the dentist .

Reactions: 3 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take mine off, as that's what Medtronic say. If my husband isn't there to look after it, I give it to a nurse/receptionist until I've had the X-Ray.

My dentist took a note of the necessity to remove the pump, so that his colleagues would know about this.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Animas say to take the pump off as well. It's a case of checking in your manual for your pump. :)

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I used to be a dental nurse (many years ago) and we always used to put a lead apron on the patient before the x-rays. Do they still do this? If so, wouldn't the apron protect the pump?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to be a dental nurse (many years ago) and we always used to put a lead apron on the patient before the x-rays. Do they still do this? If so, wouldn't the apron protect the pump?

Don't think they do that any more.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Has anyone had a problems or concerns about wearing there pump and having an x-ray at the dentist .

I'm so pleased you've brought this up Caretaker as I'd never give this a second thought, I thought the Omnipod manual said that X-rays were fine but on checking it would seem that the Pod has to be removed and placed outside the treatment area together with the PDM.

Trouble is if you remove the Pod you can't just put it back on and have to replace it with a new one, so I'll be asking if they use a lead apron (as JuneC says) in my dental practice to protect things like pumps.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I don't have a pump, but inject. When I had an x-ray a few months ago, the dentist and nurse left the room to take X-ray, then returned straight after.

Best wishes RRB

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi, I don't have a pump, but inject. When I had an x-ray a few months ago, the dentist and nurse left the room to take X-ray, then returned straight after.

Best wishes RRB
This should always be normal practice. Being subjected to x-rays over and over again every day is a serious health hazard. We all had to wear x-ray sensitive badges, that were sent off for testing every month to make sure we weren't picking up stray x-rays.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This should always be normal practice. Being subjected to x-rays over and over again every day is a serious health hazard. We all had to wear x-ray sensitive badges, that were sent off for testing every month to make sure we weren't picking up stray x-rays.

... This explains the dodgy complexion, patchy hair loss of staff & "post apocalyptic" minimalist interior styling in my dentist then..

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Don't be so rotten;) We used to have a stylish practice with pretty nurses and good looking dentists:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be so rotten;) We used to have a stylish practice with pretty nurses and good looking dentists:)

I kid you not. She's gone now. But I had one that looked like Nicole Kidman. But wore a black dentist smock that made her look like the "baddy" out of Star Trek. :cool:
I assume she's happy in her new position as Ming the merciless's orthodontist..

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Black smock???? Whatever was she thinking about? All the dentists wore crisp white jackets and the nurses were dressed in pale blue dresses or tops and trousers if they preferred. Times seem to have changed though. I notice that doctors and dentists no longer conform to the old 'uniform' and now work in shirt sleeves. Perhaps it's an attempt to put us poor nervous patients at ease and make the atmosphere less formal. I'll quit rambling, as this has nothing to do with diabetes.:rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Black smock???? Whatever was she thinking about? All the dentists wore crisp white jackets and the nurses were dressed in pale blue dresses or tops and trousers if they preferred. Times seem to have changed though. I notice that doctors and dentists no longer conform to the old 'uniform' and now work in shirt sleeves. Perhaps it's an attempt to put us poor nervous patients at ease and make the atmosphere less formal. I'll quit rambling, as this has nothing to do with diabetes.:rolleyes:

lol :D

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you do look like a dental nurse :) do think i could take the chance.....xx

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so pleased you've brought this up Caretaker as I'd never give this a second thought, I thought the Omnipod manual said that X-rays were fine but on checking it would seem that the Pod has to be removed and placed outside the treatment area together with the PDM.

Trouble is if you remove the Pod you can't just put it back on and have to replace it with a new one, so I'll be asking if they use a lead apron (as JuneC says) in my dental practice to protect things like pumps.
expensive dental appointment

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
you do look like a dental nurse :) do think i could take the chance.....xx
Whatever do you mean?????:) Do all dental nurses look the same? I graduated from dental nurse to practice manager and when interviewing applicants, it was accepted that after studying their qualifications, if there was a tie, the job would go to the prettiest. The idea being that if a patient had a pretty nurse to look at, it would take their mind off the treatment - I think it was more like the dentists wanted something nice to look at !!!!!!!! So un pc then................;)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
was that the nurse that glows in the dark
On a sombre note, I married the senior partner who was a bit to easy going with x-rays and often got in the way of them. He developed Multiple Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) due to excessive radiation. He died 3 years ago.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It was a sort of short sleeved shiny black version of a cross between what Gordon Ramsay wears & those make up women have on in department stores...

I thought all dentists, doctors & nurses practiced in short sleeve attire these days due the risk of cross contamination/infection carried on the long sleeve type..?!