1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dentist & pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by brightstar, May 7, 2013.

1. brightstar

brightstar · Member

My daughter is going to the dentist shortly, obviously needs to take pump off if xrays being taken, but how about regular cleaning, is it ok to leave the pump on?
    Heard machines with strong magnetics, some fairground rides etc and the pump needs to be taken off????? So just wondered about the dentist.
    Thanks

2. sharonValerie

sharonValerie · Active Member

You shouldn't worry, I have been wearing a pump for 3 years and have had X-rays with it. It's only MRI and Scanners where you need to take it off. I know as I had one pump broken in an MRI machine last year. Also having teeth X-Rayed won't affect the pump at all as it's on the body and not where the X-Ray is taking pictures. Also I've never heard anyone saying you should take it of for some amusement rides. You should never do this. The only thing I don't do is walk through the body X-Ray thing at the airport as I won't take my pump off. I tell them I have a pump so I get patted down instead. Good luck : :)

3. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't take pump off for dentist, I never have.

Its only if the pump itself is being xray'd, it would need to be in her mouth for that :)

4. brightstar

brightstar · Member

Thanks for your replies.
    This is all new to me so stupid obvious questions will be asked! I don't want to damage or take any risks to the precious pump!
    I was reading over the Medtronic leaflets and this is what threw me;
    'Do not expose to xray devices or other devices that generate very strong magnetic fields. The magnetic fields in the immediate vacinity of these devices can damage the part of the pump's motoe that regualte insulin delivery, possible resulting in over-delivery and severe hypoglycemia'

5. Cody

Cody · Active Member

Well I was told I can have my pump OFF for up to an hour and its still safe and won't send sugars crazy high as its only basal being pumped which in my case is micro units every 10 mins with Medtronic pump

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook