Dentist & pump

brightstar

My daughter is going to the dentist shortly, obviously needs to take pump off if xrays being taken, but how about regular cleaning, is it ok to leave the pump on?
Heard machines with strong magnetics, some fairground rides etc and the pump needs to be taken off????? So just wondered about the dentist.
Thanks

sharonValerie

You shouldn't worry, I have been wearing a pump for 3 years and have had X-rays with it. It's only MRI and Scanners where you need to take it off. I know as I had one pump broken in an MRI machine last year. Also having teeth X-Rayed won't affect the pump at all as it's on the body and not where the X-Ray is taking pictures. Also I've never heard anyone saying you should take it of for some amusement rides. You should never do this. The only thing I don't do is walk through the body X-Ray thing at the airport as I won't take my pump off. I tell them I have a pump so I get patted down instead. Good luck : :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't take pump off for dentist, I never have.

Its only if the pump itself is being xray'd, it would need to be in her mouth for that :)

brightstar

Thanks for your replies.
This is all new to me so stupid obvious questions will be asked! I don't want to damage or take any risks to the precious pump!
I was reading over the Medtronic leaflets and this is what threw me;
'Do not expose to xray devices or other devices that generate very strong magnetic fields. The magnetic fields in the immediate vacinity of these devices can damage the part of the pump's motoe that regualte insulin delivery, possible resulting in over-delivery and severe hypoglycemia'

Cody

Well I was told I can have my pump OFF for up to an hour and its still safe and won't send sugars crazy high as its only basal being pumped which in my case is micro units every 10 mins with Medtronic pump