Depression

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
I was asked yesterday by my Diabetic nurse - do I get much depression.
Got me wondering do I - I mean I have my off days , same as everybody else but maybe the term is too general.
What does everybody think?

BTW this was part of my review which was a pleasing 6.1 however my cholesterol was up ( whoops)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Janieb said:
I was asked yesterday by my Diabetic nurse - do I get much depression.
Got me wondering do I - I mean I have my off days , same as everybody else but maybe the term is too general.
What does everybody think?

BTW this was part of my review which was a pleasing 6.1 however my cholesterol was up ( whoops)

Do you think the nurse was asking this routinely or maybe she picked up on something you said?

Like you said everyone has 'off days' definately, do you live with a partner as i'm sure they would be the first to know if you had signs?

I didn't think i was depressed until my mum dragged me to the doctors and when i took a self assessment i realised i was. i was put on antidepressants for a few months. i think it's always the ones that are closest who will notice any changes first :)

P.S well done on your A1c! whoops for your cholesterol :)

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Nope she said it was routine - feel fed up today cause I've rang out of money and only paid a week ago and my hubbies got no job again - but thats life lol .

anniep

My practise nurse asks "any depression" too at every review. There is some link between diabetes and depression and so it seem so tbe on her routine list - blood pressure, weight, wee, and depression.

Rich5578

I was asked if I was depressed on one of my visits, and went through the normal stuff, but decided that I was as depressed as any other person with bills to pay.

Later on when the tablets started to have no effect and I was to be put on insulin I was really down, no energy etc, and my sugar levels were constant 14 to 18. After I got on insulin the depression lifted.

Hope this helps.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I always find it interesting the way in which people choose to handle their depression. Personally having suffered for many years, since a child, I had investigated with various methods trying to determine why I had this continual blot on my life. Transactional Analysis was one, doing a 3month course, reading allsorts of literature and self help books. Each time it seemed I was getting closer to understanding the WHY but not able to control it. Eventually at the age of about 56 I decided to ask for counselling and was amazed at what the counsellor was able to do. I now know that above everything it's learning the HOW to deal with it - and that has been the greatest help. I know what sort of things will trigger me off - weepie movies being the worst, closely followed by romantic scenes whether on tv or reality - so stopping it from taking hold was the best thing to do. Having never had a good family background I know I missed out on a lot of family love, but never have I had any help from taking any sort of antidepressant. They just make me feel like a zombie and suffer "restless legs", Just don't see the point of going down that road.
However, I know many do get help that way but that has always been a puzzle to me as you still have the problem with you and sometimes it's more to do with genes and family traits.

Janieb

Dislikes
I've been feeling down for well over a week now, it started at a gig with me trying to cheer a mate up and I got upset and have been pretty down ever since and silly. Mind you I think its my toe as well and not depression as such as its swelling on a daily basis and throbs something cronic.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Janieb said:
I've been feeling down for well over a week now, it started at a gig with me trying to cheer a mate up and I got upset and have been pretty down ever since and silly. Mind you I think its my toe as well and not depression as such as its swelling on a daily basis and throbs something cronic.

What exactly is wrong with your toe? Is it the joint? Could be a bunion.
If that is the case I always strap my toe so that it is pulled into place, it's quite painful to do it but saves the joint becoming totally out of place and continuing to be very sore.

Anything else you should get checked out pronto!

And just a point about the depression, I stay clear of others suffering from depression if at all possible, not because I don't want to help but it's so easy to take on board their problems and find myself going down the slippery slope, then I'm no help at all to anyone! You know the saying goes - "love others as you love yourself" - so loving oneself has to come first. Sorry if that sounds a bit preachy but am concerned when others talk about their depression as I've been there in a big black hole!!