Desmond Day Course

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Has anyone been on the Desmond Day Course I am in Lancashire. Or has anyone been on a day course in your part of the country, if so can you tell me a bit about the day ? I am Type 2. diagnosed in January 2016:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went on the DESMOND course near me in London, last September. It was from 10-4, with a couple of 10 minute comfort breaks morning and afternoon, and a 30 minute lunch break. We were provided with a sandwich, biscuits, tea/coffee and water at lunch, but from what I have read on here lunch is sometimes not provided and you have to bring your own.
There were 10 people booked on the course but only 8 turned up. Most were newly diagnosed T2s, but there was one T1 and a borderline/pre-diabetic.
The first part of the course, in the morning, was an explanation of what diabetes is, and how it affects the body, and the possible complications. Then we were given advice on what we should eat. The DESMOND course does use the NICE guidelines about eating carbs with every meal. They use the 'Eatwell' plate suggesting we eat about 5 portions of different foods, each portion being no bigger than the size of your fist.
At that time I hadn't found this forum and understood how carbs turn to sugar in your body so should be avoided. Obviously nobody else had either as no one questioned this advice. We were also given the now outdated advice that we should avoid fats like coconut oil.
I thought it was worth going on as it reassured me that having diabetes doesn't mean necessarily mean that I will get complications if I control the condition, but having found this forum I don't think the dietary advice is good.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Prem51, Thank you for the info on the Desmond Course I am going next Thuesday18th Feb. :)

C

chris lowe

I think most people on the forum will say take note of the info on diabetes & complications them ignore the dietary advice re carbs with every meal. If you want to wind them up read as much as you can on low carb/high fat & challenge their views. They can get quite uptight. As for providing biscuits on some courses I think is just unbelievable.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I'm in Coventry and I was diagnosed T2 in October last year. I've been referred for a Desmond course but haven't heard anything from them yet, my DN said they were very popular so it could be some time before I do hear anything

Reactions: 2 people

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
I was diagnosed last November Type 2 and my GP did a referral for me to go on the DESMOND course. I received a letter a couple of weeks ago, inviting me to book a session. Since discovering this brilliant website, I've decided to give the course a miss, as I've learned so much from this website over the past 6 weeks and have been putting it all to good use. I'm not really sure how much more the course can tell/teach me, that I haven't already found out here. "Biscuits and sandwiches for lunch" well that's a no no for starters.. Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As for providing biscuits on some courses I think is just unbelievable.
They were Rich Tea biscuits, which only have round 5.5g of carbs per biscuit. I didn't see anyone eating them.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am going to the Desmond Course this Thursday wont be having biscuits, think I will take my own lunch and snack.;)

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Prem51 - its all good information, learn as much as you can and then do what you believe in. If your doctor has sent you on it then going keeps them and your diabetic nurse on side . I also went on the day course run by Diabetes UK - it was different and I felt I learnt new things but am going to try LCHF now.

Information is GOOD then you have the knowledge to do what you want.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thr Desmond course is a waste of tax payers money ,stick with this forum and low carb

DR123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
DR123
I'm going on the X-PERT scheme on Mon 22nd, it's a taster afternoon 2pm till 4.30, if you find it useful you can sign on for the full version, will let you know how I get on . I'll take my bottled water with me !

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
I am going to the Desmond Course this Thursday wont be having biscuits, think I will take my own lunch and snack.;)
So how was the course yesterday, any tips to share? thanks

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi just_undiscovered_ and all. Well went on the Desmond Day Course Thursday 18th Feb, there were 9 people attended and I will try and make this as short as possible. We were asked how many tested BG readings and how often? I could not believe it, out of all of us, there was only me had a meter and tested, I felt so sorry for the people there as they were so ignorant to the fact that not only were they confused as what to eat, they were stressed with it as well, like we all were at the beginning, but half of these people didn't know that if they had metres then they would get to know what they could eat and halve the stress. Quite a few of these people came to me in the lunch break for advice. I told them all about this Diabetes website and the LCHF diet. I felt so sorry for one man he had had Diabetes for 15 yrs, and at the end of the session he was going to his doctor to ask for a meter, and about 6 others as well. What was interesting they told us that they were not here to tell us what diet we follow but to give us advice, but what they were saying was everything in moderation. Liked the part were we were shown how Diabetes affects the body, and the complications that comes with it. Didn't like sitting in that small room from 9.30 till 4pm, we never left that room had a break for 10 mins twice tea and coffee at back of room. Not apertising as had 2 flasks of hot water with tea and decafinated coffe in sachets. Shown all the foods and the fats and carbs and sugars, they say oranges in moderation is good for us, cereal is good for us, brown bread with seeds instead of white, obviously no sugar, from what I gathered they do say carbs in moderation but low fats, they do support the Diabetes UK they even gave us Pamphlets and books on Diabetic UK so I never mentioned the LCHF diet. They now say Saturated fat was the way to go but now through new research they said stay away from butter and go for polyunsaturated and mono instead.? Told we can have any fruit in moderation, excercise and diet essential, the 2 ladies who took the course were really nice, but got a lot more information of here, spoke to most of these people and think probably a few of them will be joining this website. To sum up, day too long, most of it boring, room too small, just felt so sorry for the ones who had no knowledge like I had with being on this website. They went home more confused as it was a lot to take in in one day. I made a friend and this lady was so interested in this website she will be a Newbie in a couple of days, her name is Jacqui. Anybody else going yes go and see what you think too:):confused:

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Hi Has anyone been on the Desmond Day Course I am iQLancashire. Or has anyone been on a day course in your part of the country, if so can you tell me a bit about the day ? I am Type 2. diagnosed in January 2016:)

Hi, I live in Northern Ireland and have done the DESMOND full day course. It is excellent - we started by introducing ourselves and giving a little background about our Diabetes ie when we were diagnosed and what symptoms we had. These were wrote on flip chart paper and stuck on the wall as a visual aid of to what to look for in our own journey. It was explained what happens in the body when type 2 diagnosed in a way we all understood. Diet was covered and questions answered 'on the spot' some of the questions were parked as the answer would take longer to give and we came back to them. One very interesting topic was sugar and we had to guess how many sugar cubes where is a range of foods one which surprised me was Veda (a malt loaf) it has 6 sugar cubes in one slice! All-in-all I would recommend anyone who is offered the course to attend, our course was open and relaxed with a certain amount of humour thrown in,

Reactions: 5 people

DaveNN

They are the lowest carb mass produced biscuits, so I suppose the NHS think they are ok.
I know ....but are still over 70% carb. Again, I must stress that a little of what you fancy won't harm you.

I'm just a bit amazed that they are offer at all...what next?? AA having an optics bar?

( all the above is tongue in cheek)

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
I have been referred for the Desmond course but not heard anything yet. Was told it would only be a 2 hour session though, so possibly not the full course?