Desperate to know what could be wrong with me? Veins sticking out, extreme fatigue weak + faint

Daviee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m 33 and since 16 I have had type 1 diabetes it has always been difficult for me to control it and multiple times I was rejected for an insulin pump, I have also suffered with extreme stress over the last 3 years, I started loosing my temper and was put on an antipsychotic, so all I did was sleep and feel ill, I came off that 8 weeks ago and I’m still very ill and I have had very little help or advise from doctors, my symptoms are nausea, weakness throughout my body and sometimes it gets so bad that I feel faint and can’t concentrate, I am heat intolerant as in slight raises in temperature make me feel worse I also get swelling in my thighs and the veins in my hands and feet bulge, when I was put on the antipsychotics and before that my mmol was very high but it’s been reasonably good over the last 6 months my blood tests for my kidneys came back in range, hearts ecg normal, thyroid in range, no infection, they said I’m not anaemic, borderline low on vitamin D, I don’t think they tested my testosterone, I’m left not knowing what’s wrong with me, I have turned into an utter mess unable to work, sometimes I can’t even get up to have a wash it’s so hard, anyone know if theirs anything that diabetes could do to cause this? Is it permanent or is their anything I can try taking to help, normal vitamins haven’t helped, I am taking vitamin d3 calcium and zinc supplements but I’m not getting any better, I’m desperate for help now, the symptoms come on like this I feel swelling in my thighs and my energy drains, I feel slightly nauseated then my vision gets affected like image retention where I see afterimages dizzy wobbly but I’m not hypo I’m like a 6 or a 7 sometimes when this happens, of course the mental health team were of no help either they just presume it’s anxiety or in my head but it’s not the very few times I have felt well I have become happy and positive then all my energy drains away again, no matter how much sleep I get I still feel ill it’s been so bad the last month I was suicidal thinking I’m 33 how can I live the rest of my life like this no use to anyone. Also I seem to have symptoms of vitiligo slight patches and white hair sprouting suddenly all over my body. I really am desperate now and when I tell people they don’t realise how bad it’s gotten, I also have dark circles under my eyes, I’m stating all these symptoms incase anyone has an idea or has gone through this after their diabetes was badly controlled. I’m on levemir and Lantus and no matter how well I control it now it makes no difference

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Sorry to read your plight, can I suggest when symptoms are bad you go to A&E. In my non qualified opinion you need to be referred to a hospital diabetic department.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, I’m 33 and since 16 I have had type 1 diabetes it has always been difficult for me to control it and multiple times I was rejected for an insulin pump, I have also suffered with extreme stress over the last 3 years, I started loosing my temper and was put on an antipsychotic, so all I did was sleep and feel ill, I came off that 8 weeks ago and I’m still very ill and I have had very little help or advise from doctors, my symptoms are nausea, weakness throughout my body and sometimes it gets so bad that I feel faint and can’t concentrate, I am heat intolerant as in slight raises in temperature make me feel worse I also get swelling in my thighs and the veins in my hands and feet bulge, when I was put on the antipsychotics and before that my mmol was very high but it’s been reasonably good over the last 6 months my blood tests for my kidneys came back in range, hearts ecg normal, thyroid in range, no infection, they said I’m not anaemic, borderline low on vitamin D, I don’t think they tested my testosterone, I’m left not knowing what’s wrong with me, I have turned into an utter mess unable to work, sometimes I can’t even get up to have a wash it’s so hard, anyone know if theirs anything that diabetes could do to cause this? Is it permanent or is their anything I can try taking to help, normal vitamins haven’t helped, I am taking vitamin d3 calcium and zinc supplements but I’m not getting any better, I’m desperate for help now, the symptoms come on like this I feel swelling in my thighs and my energy drains, I feel slightly nauseated then my vision gets affected like image retention where I see afterimages dizzy wobbly but I’m not hypo I’m like a 6 or a 7 sometimes when this happens, of course the mental health team were of no help either they just presume it’s anxiety or in my head but it’s not the very few times I have felt well I have become happy and positive then all my energy drains away again, no matter how much sleep I get I still feel ill it’s been so bad the last month I was suicidal thinking I’m 33 how can I live the rest of my life like this no use to anyone. Also I seem to have symptoms of vitiligo slight patches and white hair sprouting suddenly all over my body. I really am desperate now and when I tell people they don’t realise how bad it’s gotten, I also have dark circles under my eyes, I’m stating all these symptoms incase anyone has an idea or has gone through this after their diabetes was badly controlled. I’m on levemir and Lantus and no matter how well I control it now it makes no difference
Hi @Daviee it would be interesting to know what your readings are when you feel at your worst. Many symptoms you mention can be caused by high blood sugar levels and some by low. Certainly I found that with a raised HbA1C I would feel hyperadrenalised and would uncharacteristically have worryingly violent mood swings. On the bright side your blood chemistry looks good, but as @alf_Josiah says above, I would take yourself to A&E via 111 when things are bad. The word 'diabetes' worked like a talisman for me in such situations. Good luck!

Daviee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read your plight, can I suggest when symptoms are bad you go to A&E. In my non qualified opinion you need to be referred to a hospital diabetic department.
I have been twice last month to Banbury Horton hospital and both times they send me home and blamed other medication the thing is I’m off that medication now and still very ill