Dessert Ideas Needed Please

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Ok, I hate to say it but I am a bit bored with sugar free jelly. I love berries but need a change. I don't mind baking myself special things but as they are just for me and I have to cook for everyone else, I was relying on jelly and fruit because it was easy

Ideally I'd like some ideas that involve little effort or easy to obtain ingredients as I live in the middle of nowhere

What things does everyone else like?

Thanks
Cara

Reactions: lorraine95

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
3 min microwave cake

melt 2 tablespoons of butter, I use an old takeaway tub in the microwave
mix in 2 eggs
mix in 2 tablespoons of ground almonds or coconut flour, with coconut flour you may need to add a bit of milk
half tablespoon baking powder
1 table spoon of cocoa powder if you want
a little vanilla essence or other flavour
some sweetener to taste
mix all up and microwave for 3 mins.

I sometimes add some dark choc chips or some glace cherries

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Lenny, MAy try that later with some cream

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ok, I hate to say it but I am a bit bored with sugar free jelly. I love berries but need a change. I don't mind baking myself special things but as they are just for me and I have to cook for everyone else, I was relying on jelly and fruit because it was easy

Ideally I'd like some ideas that involve little effort or easy to obtain ingredients as I live in the middle of nowhere

What things does everyone else like?

Thanks
Cara

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: im sorry i thought you said...... you said....... :dead:

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 min microwave cake

melt 2 tablespoons of butter, I use an old takeaway tub in the microwave
mix in 2 eggs
mix in 2 tablespoons of ground almonds or coconut flour, with coconut flour you may need to add a bit of milk
half tablespoon baking powder
1 table spoon of cocoa powder if you want
a little vanilla essence or other flavour
some sweetener to taste
mix all up and microwave for 3 mins.

I sometimes add some dark choc chips or some glace cherries
I wouldn't use as much baking powder as it might taste a bit bitter. Actually, I'm not sure I would use any baking powder at all but 50 grams of butter or coconut oil and maybe some dessicated coconut rather than the flour stuff.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
at a rush i have bit cream and melt some dark choc in microwave, mix it togeather, i have that with frozen berries to dip in .. but i kno ur sick of them so maybe little peanut butter cookie to dip ? xx

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you tried coconut macaroons? they are soooooooo easy to make and scrummy

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 4 egg whites from large eggs (should be about ½ cup)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar substitute (I like liquid forms of Splenda, with zero carbs)
  • about 2 Tablespoons water
Preparation:
1) Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with either parchment paper on a silicone mat.
2) Measure egg whites. If they aren't quite ½ cup, add a little water to reach that level. Then add the vanilla, liquid sweetener if using, and water so that sweetener and water together equal 2 Tablespoons.

3) If using powdered sweetener, mix in with unsweetened coconut.

4) Mix dry and wet ingredients together. The mixture should just hold together. Let set a minute or two and you'll be able to mold them better.

5) Roll into balls a little bigger than an inch in diameter. Slightly flatten and put on baking sheet (whatever shape you put them in is how they will stay, so this is your chance). Put at least half an inch apart.

6) Turn down the oven to 325 F, and bake for about 15 minutes, but start checking them a couple of minutes before. You want them golden brown on the bottom, and just barely starting to brown on top (though if you like them a little crispier, bake a couple of minutes longer).

Makes about 14 cookies, but yield will vary based on size of the cookies.

Nutritional Information: Each cookie has 1 gram effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, and 76 calories.

got this from here http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/locarbmacaroons.htm

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
Ingredients:
Preparation:
1) Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with either parchment paper on a silicone mat.
2) Measure egg whites. If they aren't quite ½ cup, add a little water to reach that level. Then add the vanilla, liquid sweetener if using, and water so that sweetener and water together equal 2 Tablespoons.

4) Mix dry and wet ingredients together. The mixture should just hold together. Let set a minute or two and you'll be able to mold them better.

5) Roll into balls a little bigger than an inch in diameter. Slightly flatten and put on baking sheet (whatever shape you put them in is how they will stay, so this is your chance). Put at least half an inch apart.

6) Turn down the oven to 325 F, and bake for about 15 minutes, but start checking them a couple of minutes before. You want them golden brown on the bottom, and just barely starting to brown on top (though if you like them a little crispier, bake a couple of minutes longer).

Nutritional Information: Each cookie has 1 gram effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, and 76 calories.

got this from here http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/locarbmacaroons.htm
there tommorows bake for me . from your recipie were all looking forward to them to x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
there tommorows bake for me . from your recipie were all looking forward to them to x

hehe they sound harder to make than they are, i make them while making other stuff so i can munch on them and not feel impatient with whats baking lol

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ingredients:
Preparation:

One cup of sugar substitute? Really? And no fat? No that wouldn't suit my palate. I never liked the sickly sweet and after a couple of years of lowcarbing I cant eat it. It tastes foul.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
One cup of sugar substitute? Really? And no fat? No that wouldn't suit my palate. I never liked the sickly sweet and after a couple of years of lowcarbing I cant eat it. It tastes foul.

hehe you know it tastes foul without trying it? okie dokie

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i am comfy with the fat in things but dosent mean we cant eat something without it surely :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not really a dessert, but my favourite sweet treat is...

- close your eyes
- pop an almond in your mouth
- add a nibble of 85% chocolate
- finish with a berry of any kind

...pretend cadburys fruit and nut!

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
omg i do this too lol my brother at work dosent like dark chocolate so the other day i made him do this so the chocolate melts together with the nut its just like whole nut, he still hated it lol i love though i agree

i thought id invented it lol

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
i am comfy with the fat in things but dosent mean we cant eat something without it surely :)

Go Andy! Go Andy!

Yep I'll be having a go at this one for sure. Sometimes I absolutely crave something small and sweet and if there are standard cookies in the house I swear I can hear them calling me :) I have made quite a few recipes without flour, egg whites work well and I love coconut too. Perfect! :D

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Andy, what I meant was that I don't like it too sweet. I grew up wit a diabetic parent so we never had anything sweet, then some years ago I went low carb and lost what taste for sweets I had gained so if I tried your recepie I would take about a quarter of the suggested amount.

And I don't approve of sweeteners as such but that is not to say others cant have them.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really a dessert, but my favourite sweet treat is...

- close your eyes
- pop an almond in your mouth
- add a nibble of 85% chocolate
- finish with a berry of any kind

...pretend cadburys fruit and nut!
Why pretend it is cadburys when it is so much better? With your eyes open.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
to seperate the egg yokes i use a small glass on a saucer, crack the egg on the plate then place the glass over the yoke, i use a champagne glass and tip the egg white off the plate into whatever, i used to hate recipes with egg white etc because i would go through 10 eggs to get 3 good whites, this technique told me by the great whitbyjet has made such a difference

just thought id mention this in case anyone else has trouble with this :)

Reactions: lorraine95

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
No added sugar angel delight made with full fat lactofree milk..........mmmm yummy.