Destined for T2 Whilst still in the womb??!!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Folks,

I am expecting my second grandchild any day now (well my daughter is if you know what I mean :? ). We have had a scare as my daughter has been diagnosed with a condition of the fetus known as IUGR. Basically, issues around the babies fetal growth rate. However I was amased to read that this condition can predispose one to adult metabolic issues including T2!!

As follows :-

In most cases, infants with IUGR ultimately have good outcomes, with a reported mortality rate of only 0.2 to 1 percent. These infants often exhibit fast catch-up growth in the first three months of life and attain normal growth curves by one year of age. Some early studies have found a variety of long-term complications in infants with IUGR. These complications include hyperactivity, clumsiness and poor concentration. Other studies have found growth-restricted infants to be at increased risk for development of hypertension, abdominal obesity and type 2 (non­ insulin-dependent) diabetes as adults.

Just off to ask mum if she had any problems about 53 years ago :lol:

All the best Steve.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Steve,

This is very interesting; we are learning new things every day. 8)

I wonder if your mother would even know if there had been any problems since the screening given during pregnancy nowadays is so far advanced from those days. :?

Hope all goes well for your daughter and the newest grandchild. :)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Thx Synonym :D

I told my GP that there is no history of diabetes in the family. She then suggested that my grandmother who died of a stroke in her 50's could well have been diabetic. Like you say, they didnt have the wherewithall in those days.

Steve

Katharine

I was 2 pounds 3 oz at 34 weeks gestation and although my immune system was very poor throughout my first 25 or so years of life I haven't had any of the rest so far. I've just turned 50.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I too am awaiting a grandchild. Number 2 in my case, not due until early September though. I already have the gorgeous Amelie to keep me amused.
Since my daughter isn't ,as she put it so well "biological", ( we adopted her at 2 months) she hasn't got any risks from us.
Hana