Devastated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

My son was diagnosed with type 1 just 3 weeks ago.
Thank god he is well and has taken it on amazingly!
However I haven't! I'm devastated.
I've a million questions and theories buzzing about in my head!
I can't sleep, am constantly checking on him during the night, scared of him having a hypo.
Advice, support and looking for new friends xx

airliebird58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm a newbie too, but it must be so scary when its your child that has the problem. I'm sure he'll be fine, kids seem to sail through changes that we would think are huge obstacles. Good luck to you both :) x

Reactions: 2 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 7 when I was diagnosed and my biggest concern was no more sweets, I think children accept things a lot better than adults, my parents were brilliant with my diabetes and didn't stop me doing things everyone else did (except eating sweets) I have had diabetes for 48 years played rugby union until I was 40 and I'm still working as a plasterer, if you teach him the correct way to manage his diabetes anything is possible and with the way they are progressing a cure doesn't seem far away and there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum to help you.

Reactions: 12 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @Mummy_of_a_type1_
welcome to the forum:)
I was 14 when diagnosed and through many years of discussing with my parents over the years know they felt shocked , guilty , sick with fear , unsure of the future .... and on and on .

the main thing for you to do now is to try and keep calm , not worry about errant blood tests or the odd hypo -- you are right that children adapt , usually much better than adults -- they accept things at face value.

the childrens diabetic unit at hospital is a rich source of help and you should use them like your next door neighbour ( IE: borrowing an egg or an onion )
they are there to help you

you will have all of us to help too so try not to worry and although you may be wondering what you could have done to prevent it or was it your fault -- with type 1 it seems to be triggered by a bad infection( not completely scientifically proven but the best theory we have ) a few months previous along with genetic markers present with some but not all people.

you take care young lady and just take it 1 day at a time :)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
If you are on Facebook there is a group called typeonegrit run by parents with children diagnosed type 1. Very supportive like here.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Im sure you will find a lot of help and support from the many knowledgeable members. If you have any questions just ask.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Understandably your head is buzzing and your worried @Mummy_of_a_type1_.

There's a great support network here on the forum and please don't be frightened to reach out and ask for help & advice, take care and best wishes.

Reactions: 6 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How old is your son @Mummy_of_a_type1_ ?
I was 8 when diagnosed (30 years ago now!) and really don't remember any distress or upheaval about it, I know it was traumatic for my parents though. My mother passed out when they gave me my first injection as she was afraid of needles but she faced it for my sake and was jabbing me herself a day or 2 later. I'm sure your son will one day look back and see what an amazing job you are now doing.

It's natural to worry but try to reassure yourself how many of us have been through the same situation and survived just fine, and the knowledge and technology is getting better and better. There is possibly too much information in a way though as I'd imagine you're drowning at the moment! Don't be too hard on yourself to begin with and rest assured you will both learn as you go along.

I know how scary night hypos are, I tend to let myself go to bed at a slightly higher level to try to prevent them but obviously this isn't ideal. It might be worth doing short term though as you get your head around everything - speak to your hospital team though as they probably wouldn't be happy if you said "well this woman on the internet said"! ;-) The other thing to consider is @HypoBand UK
- if you search these forums you will find a few threads about it - it's designed to alert people to night time hypos. It's very new but has had good reviews. The downside is the price (£150ish) which is out of some peoples reach but if you are lucky enough to be able to afford one it could give you some peace of mind at night.

Best of luck with everything and remember there are plenty of people here for you, even in the middle of the night, as despite this being the 'diabetes UK' site there are plenty of people in different time-zones here!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How old is your son @Mummy_of_a_type1_ ?
I was 8 when diagnosed (30 years ago now!) and really don't remember any distress or upheaval about it, I know it was traumatic for my parents though. My mother passed out when they gave me my first injection as she was afraid of needles but she faced it for my sake and was jabbing me herself a day or 2 later. I'm sure your son will one day look back and see what an amazing job you are now doing.

It's natural to worry but try to reassure yourself how many of us have been through the same situation and survived just fine, and the knowledge and technology is getting better and better. There is possibly too much information in a way though as I'd imagine you're drowning at the moment! Don't be too hard on yourself to begin with and rest assured you will both learn as you go along.

I know how scary night hypos are, I tend to let myself go to bed at a slightly higher level to try to prevent them but obviously this isn't ideal. It might be worth doing short term though as you get your head around everything - speak to your hospital team though as they probably wouldn't be happy if you said "well this woman on the internet said"! ;-) The other thing to consider is @HypoBand UK
- if you search these forums you will find a few threads about it - it's designed to alert people to night time hypos. It's very new but has had good reviews. The downside is the price (£150ish) which is out of some peoples reach but if you are lucky enough to be able to afford one it could give you some peace of mind at night.

Best of luck with everything and remember there are plenty of people here for you, even in the middle of the night, as despite this being the 'diabetes UK' site there are plenty of people in different time-zones here!
Hi :)

Thank you for replying!
I understand the bands now and my husband has told me to get one as I've not slept for almost 3 weeks! I'm exhausted.
Drowning yes! I feel trapped, like I cannot breathe! It's a horrible feeling.
My little boy is 11 and he has been poorly for 15 months. It's has taken them that long to find out what was wrong! That's a whole different thread!!
Thank you for your message, sorry if it took so long for me to reply, I've not quite got the hang of this yet!
Mindy xx

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm a newbie too, but it must be so scary when its your child that has the problem. I'm sure he'll be fine, kids seem to sail through changes that we would think are huge obstacles. Good luck to you both :) x
He is being so brave!!

How are you coping with it all?
It must be hard being diagnosed later in life right?
I'm shattered, suffocating with all the information!
We have a good diabetic team and our nurse is great, which is lovely. X

airliebird58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is being so brave!!

How are you coping with it all?
It must be hard being diagnosed later in life right?
I'm shattered, suffocating with all the information!
We have a good diabetic team and our nurse is great, which is lovely. X

Well it was a bit of a shock, but maybe the kick up the bum I needed to lead a healthier lifestyle. There is so much to take in, but we'll get used to it over time like most things. :)

joanneabbott

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I understand all to well what you are going through my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed in June this year so I am very new to it all myself and like you constantly checking through out the night to see if she going hypo or not don't know if this helps but I got told that if they are going to go hypo check about 3am in the morning as that when the body is at lowest so that would probably be when they go hypo hope this helps a bit

emmkat

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I can't sleep, am constantly checking on him during the night, scared of him having a hypo.

Hi
Hope you are managing a little sleep now. My son was diagnosed with type 1 beginning of October, he's just turned 11. I know how you're feeling the whole diagnosis was very traumatic an I too wake up constantly through the night yo check on him. If u want yo chat please get back in touch.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Hope you are managing a little sleep now. My son was diagnosed with type 1 beginning of October, he's just turned 11. I know how you're feeling the whole diagnosis was very traumatic an I too wake up constantly through the night yo check on him. If u want yo chat please get back in touch.

Hi thank you!
I know I'm not insane for doing this now!
My so. Is also 11.
I've tried sleeping this afternoon but just can't settle even though my husband is looking after him!
My friends just think I'm being silly although they have avoided coming round or going out with us since the diagnosis! X

emmkat

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how u feel but try have a doze. I'm a single mum so hardly sleep through. I am getting s bit better though. My sons accepting it really well n I'm putting on a brave face for everyone but I know if I stop to think I want to cry. I think a lot of people don't understand type 1 n I'm fed up of saying yes he had to inject before he eats anything. X

jo78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

Hi,
Hope your ok x
I have been where you have been, so glad you have found this forum.
Has your lad had a hypo yet?
If your going to check bloods through the night, break it down to midnight, 3am and then at 6am. This at least breaks it down, you need rest too. Also the results will help to see if he's on too much or not enough.
You are his pancreas at the moment and you are an amazing mother. Day by day he will grow stronger with the love you have provided.

Reactions: 4 people

Lau89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine how it must feel for you but it sounds like your son is very brave, as are you!! One day at a time is a good way of thinking. I'm a newbie here too but already this forum has been of comfort and reassurance & hope it helps you too x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Hope your ok x
I have been where you have been, so glad you have found this forum.
Has your lad had a hypo yet?
If your going to check bloods through the night, break it down to midnight, 3am and then at 6am. This at least breaks it down, you need rest too. Also the results will help to see if he's on too much or not enough.
You are his pancreas at the moment and you are an amazing mother. Day by day he will grow stronger with the love you have provided.

Hi there
Thank you for your lovely message X

We have had lots and lots of hypos and I'm surprised at how calm we both were!
I'm so tired. I'm living on fumes. His blood sugars aren't the problem though. It's the tummy aches. He's doubled up in pain most of the time (sat beside me crying in the featal position as I type) he is on strong co-codamol and nothing is helping.
If any one knows anything about tummy pain then please help. I'm so desperate right now
Xx