Dexcom (and other) CGM Hints and Tips

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Having just self funded a Dexcom G4, I have done my fair share of research into CGM. I wanted to start a thread about what have you learnt, perhaps along the lines of "what would you tell someone who's just about to buy a CGM"? "What do you know, that you haven't seen someone ask yet"?
I am sure these may have been commented on previously, but as an example:

I chose to save over £500 on the starter kit and purchased the mg/dl receiver from France, as I have a French property and bank a/c, however, the conversion to mmol is a pain and I wouldn't do this again!
I am sourcing the sensors and transmitters from diashop.de. The contact I have been dealing with is Thomas, who have been excellent and helpful and they are much cheaper than the UK
I am considering buying an xDrip kit, and using my mobile and/or smart watch as a replacement for the mg/dl receiver.
I read think like a pancreas and sugar surfing, and I cannot quantify how much they have helped me. I look at my diabetes, control and the data I am getting in a completely different light and as a result, the accuracy of the sensor (which incidentally is very good) is quite unimportant to me as I look at the trend instead, and concentrate on where was I, where am I and where am I going - and use that information as my decision point.

I look forward to other peoples questions or comments in the hope of seeing something that makes me think "I never thought of that"!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can recommend xDrip. As you say it solves your problem with units. You can also upload data to NightScout. This means that other people can check your readings online. Even if you don't need this aspect - nor do I though it might be useful if I was ill - it's a great way of viewing your data & keeping up with developments in the open source world.

Yes go for a Pebble watch or similar. Curry's are selling the Classic Pebble for £49.95 at the moment.

I agree, don't get too hung up on the numbers, the trends are just as valuable.

Learn to calibrate. Try to calibrate when the trend is level - this reduces the effect of the lag which is inevitable with CGMs Also I don't calibrate if it's very high. Blood test meters can be a long way out if your bg is up in the teens. Don't calibrate too often (unless it's way out)

Most people get more than the guaranteed 7 days. I probably average about 3 weeks. My current one is on day 23, the previous one died on day 13.

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would add that the more firmly you keep the sensor fastened down, the longer it will last. I find Skintac very good. Tegaderm, Hypatape or similar are useful for adding to the tape. Don't cover the transmitter though.

I also find it pays to keep the sensor/transmitter as dry as possible. After a shower I dab it dry with tissue.

Re reading my previous post, it sounds as though the numbers aren't good - they are most of the time. There may be a day of slightly dodgy readings when the sensor is first inserted but after that, with careful calibration they are reliable. Towards the end of their life readings become more erratic The Dexcom receiver will show ??? & no readings, but xDrip still displays the erratic values. Even when they are pretty bad it is usually possible to at least see if you are low or high, & interpolate a rough trend.

Don't forget that blood test meters are only +/- 15% at best.