Dexcom G5

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I jave just ordered the Dexcom G5 this week. I've been using the libre but decided to self fund the Dexcom for its reliability. I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on how they found it and also clarify the costs. What I didn't realise was that you have to purchase a new transmitter as well as sensors? Obviously I've misunderstood and thought the transmitter could be 'charged'. How long would the transmitter tend to last and what is the cost to purchase another? I think the Dexcom will be a fantastic tool but the costs are just stacking up!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest joining the facebook group xdrip g5. I find the G5 better than G4 I have to say :)

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest joining the facebook group xdrip g5. I find the G5 better than G4 I have to say :)
Ah that's good to hear! I'm really looking forward to trying Dexcom and I'm sure I'll love it as I've found the libre so helpful (if a little inaccurate at times) :) I've seen xdrip mentioned a few times on the forum in relation to Dexcom but I'm not entirely sure I follow what it involves but I'll have a read through the forum for more info! Thanks :)

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So to avoid starting another similar post I'm jumping back into this one. My Dexcom was delivered today so can't wait to get home and set it up! With the libre I usually leave my sensor in 24 hours before activating it. Is it best to do the same with the dexcom sensor to allow it time to settle? Is there anything anyone can advise when getting started? Things a new user may not know...oh and I wondered where people place their sensors? I know dexcom say they have only tested on the abdomen area but has anyone used it on arms etc?

Steve3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found arms to be perfectly ok and they're certainly recommended by people on the Facebook groups related to Dexcom and Looping. You'll need to be hyper aware of where it's placed to not knock it off, so the rear of the arm is better. Compression can affect the Dexcom's reading so it's best not to lie on that arm when sleeping. Many like to insert and bed in the sensor for 24 hours before activation, but I've not had a problem with the 2hr warm up.

Reactions: Kateyo

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found arms to be perfectly ok and they're certainly recommended by people on the Facebook groups related to Dexcom and Looping. You'll need to be hyper aware of where it's placed to not knock it off, so the rear of the arm is better. Compression can affect the Dexcom's reading so it's best not to lie on that arm when sleeping. Many like to insert and bed in the sensor for 24 hours before activation, but I've not had a problem with the 2hr warm up.
Thanks @Steve3 good to know it has worked on other areas. I just think between that and cannulas for the pump it would be nice to be able to rotate somewhere other than the stomach! I'll have to look into the groups and have a read! Hoping I can stretch the sensors out a lot longer than the 7 days!! Thanks again :)

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I inserted my dexcom sensor but when I try to pair it with my phone through the app I keep getting the message 'transmitter not found'. Is there anyway to remove the transmitter and reinsert it to the sensor to see whether that helps? I don't want to remove it if that makes the sensor useless but at the minute that's all I've got anyway as they wont pair!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd reboot your phone, and give it another try. Also turn off any other bluetooth devices for now. The transmitter can take an hour to pair (i've seen it do that on iPhone in the past).

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @tim2000s I'd given the reboot a try but no luck! Called dexcom so they're replacing the sensor to see whether that's the issue.

iHs

Sometimes it can take a while for an app on a phone to recognise the transmitter ID number so if a reboot on phone
doesn't work, just start the sensor warm up as usually for me, the transmitter gets recognised after about 30 to 45mins.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Inserted a new sensor and am up and running! Thanks for the tips and advice...I've another question though :rolleyes: is it normal after starting the sensor to notice the readings are a bit out? I've had to recalibrate a few times this morning because it's been out, e.g dexcom was reading 3.3 but I didn't feel low so tested on meter and got a reading of 4.7. It's just a little out like that at the minute but maybe that's due to the sensor settling in? Is it right to recalibrate when this happens even if that has happened quite a few times so far?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's normal for the sensor to be less accurate after it was just inserted. Most find that it works itself out in about a day.

The other thing to remember is that your Dexcom measures your interstitial fluid which has about a 10-15 minute delay to your blood glucose reading.

Consequently, your Dexcom could tell you that you were at 3.3 and your blood reading could say 4.7 and they both could be right! That's where the trend arrows (pointing up, down, right, etc) become important.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the quick reply @TorqPenderloin

The trend arrow was steady and I'd been monitoring things via meter as well to test the accuracy, hypo signs are good so I think it has been more of a settling in issue. I am loving it already though even with the settling period! Is diasend recommended to review the data or are there others that are more useful?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Diasend and you can have the data sent to it automatically. Dexcom also has its own reporting tool, called Dexcom Clarity, which you can download from the website. If you're in the USA I believe there is also a phone app. I find Clarity a really useful program to analyse my results and trends over time.

As for a settling-in period, I generally find it to be accurate immediately. I also used to use Libre and definitely noticed that it was less accurate in the first 24-48 hours, but Dexcom G5 seems accurate straight away. If you're having accuracy issues it's more than likely as a result of your sensor placement. I place the sensors on my upper thighs and get excellent results. Also, I have seen some advice that suggests it's best to try not to over-callibrate. As previously mentioned, you need to remember it runs c. 15 mins behind finger pricks and so there will naturally be differences when you've just eaten or just injected. For that reason, I find entering my callibrations when I have no insulin on board (and no food recently consumed) to give the best results.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @pinewood

I have noticed that it's been pretty accurate when I haven't eaten and seems out a bit when I have but by that I mean it can be up to 2mmol out (and I eat quite low carb too) I'm hoping that I'm maybe one of those whose body takes a day or two to adjust to it and it'll settle by tomorrow. I would have waited 24 hours before activating the libre sensor but couldnt wait with dexcom because I wanted to get started. I have the sensor in my abdomen and it looks ok to me but a few days will tell me whether it's a bad site (hope not!) I'd like to try my arm though as I think itd be less likely to give inaccurate readings. I'll have to download diasend for the reporting dashboards, had hoped the dexcom app might have included some of these! Thanks again for all your advice :)

iHs

It will be reasonably accurate without food being eaten but give it 2-3 days for the sensor wire to bed in and you'll be addicted to using it. It's educational lol

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will be reasonably accurate without food being eaten but give it 2-3 days for the sensor wire to bed in and you'll be addicted to using it. It's educational lol
Oh I can definitely see that happening :) it's not been just as bad today so far, maybe 1mmol out at times so hopefully that is the sensor settling down! Downloaded diasend but had hoped it would allow you to view the reporting dashboard in app without having to first download to a computer, defeats the purpose a little but need to look at it properly, maybe there's a way to do it in app!