1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes’ influence on my long term good healthier

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Ray B, May 29, 2020.

1. Ray B

Ray B Type 1 · Active Member

We hear so much about the negative influences on our lives because of diabetes and I have had a few.
    However I want to offer my personal experience of diabetes having a positive influence on me.
    Having had Type 1 for 74 years now, I often reflect on how my life could have been much worse without it.
    During my adolescent years I really was a heavy drinker and enjoyed the take-a-way lifestyle which resulted in increased weight decrease in sporting interests. Probably because I was losing my skill and previous ability levels.
    However my doctors warnings about long term problems brought me back to reality.
    I have since played sport all my life, including football till I was 51, marathon running and cycling etc. This love of sport has only been possible by virtue of good diabetes control. The two things, in my lifetime has, I believe, allowed me to get to 74 and still enjoying a good healthy lifestyle.
    I have had my diabetes issues and recently underwent a vascular bypass on my left leg, but once Covid/19 is out of the way I will be taking up Pilates business again and helping people overcome their posture issues etc and keep fit.
    Just a thought from myself about how I feel about my diabetes and the potential dread of what the alternative lifestyle might have been.
    Cheers Ray B

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ray B

P.S. what I failed to say was the competitive instincts I developed where I wanted to prove to my self and everyone else that having diabetes wasn’t going to stop me being as good as or (not very often) better than others in whatever sport we were involved in.
    Thanks
    Ray B

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Buzzer81

Buzzer81 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Ray, enjoyed reading that and it’s a good point. That’s a positive way to look at it and I hope I can be as athletic as you clearly are! Pilates is a thought, but is something I have never tried. I’m rather inflexible!! Cheers mate, Jon

4. Ray B

Hi Buzzer, pilates sounds just what you need. Great for strength and posture and increased flexibility

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray B

Sorry Jon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buzzer81

Buzzer81 · Well-Known Member

I think I will look into it and try it as I hear many good things and I definitely think it can benefit me. I work in a rather chair bound job and have terrible posture so I need to start making more positive decisions. Cheers Ray

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook