Diabetes and asthma?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been told today the dr is '95%' sure I have asthma. I've been coughing for months (about 4) and am sick of it. Glad to be given some steroids which should kick it.

Anyone have any experience of 40mg steroids a day? What kind of bg should I expect when I start them?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a steroid injection for a frozen shoulder and could not control my levels at all they went up to 29 and no matter how much insulin I took it would not come down. Spoke to my nurse and she said it was the steroid injection that did it the doctor never said a word when he done the injection and it took about a week to get back to normal .
So keep a eye on your levels and may have adjust your insulin

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am asthmatic and through doses of steroids over the yrs I have been diabetic for about 10 yrs now and when get a chest infection that sets off asthma problems I am given steroids or antibiotics sometimes both and this does cause high blood sugars sometimes though I get high readings and this is often a sign that I am coming down with an infection and this helps so that I can see a dr before too many asthma attacks so yes it can affect blood sugars so I do hope you do not have the problems I have experienced but everyone is different so if I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask .

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
40 mg of what kind of steroid?

Were you given any kind of inhaler? I have been asthmatic for almost twenty years and have been on turbuhalers on an off but never on tablets. See what the tablets do to your bg, be careful. I know how much I appreciate getting air into my lungs and not cough all the time so I understand your relief, but keep an eye on your bg.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
steroid tablets prednisolone, i was given a blue inhaler a few months ago with the chest infections I had (5 lots of antibiots) but I haven't really used it as didn't think I needed it :(

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is a high dose and I question if you really need it. To take oral steroids in high doses can of course be necessary, but when it is a case of untreated asthma I recommend you go for some kind of inhaler/turbohaler. I use Symbicort, a mix of cortisol and something to loosen up and widen the air ways and it works wonders. You will still get steroids, but only where they are needed and thus a much, much lesser dose.

Oral Prednisolone can only be a temporary solution anyway as your adrenals will shut down if you stay on it too long.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a 5 day course so I'll go with it and see what happens I think. If it's going to clear my cough then that's the main. Thanks! I'll let u know how I get on.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asthma is a chronic condition. Even if the pred works magic, the effect will wear off and you are back where you started. Believe me, you want the proper kind of asthma meds.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh i have no doubt of that but i need to get a bit better to have the diagnostic to prove asthma. I'm Kind of hoping if the cough clears (its a productive cough) then we can move onto the wheeze. Ive never had any syptoms previously and I cant say i really notice chest tightness or breathless ness so im not in a rush to go onto an inhaler. I used the blue type and it makes me really shakey :(

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oct last year I was on and off steroids and antibiotics for three months using ventolin blue inhaler and symbicort my blood sugars went up to 38. something jan of this year and I am now on tablets for my type 2 diet controlled diabetes coz of all the meds for my asthma which I have had sine I was 4 yrs old im now completely clear of steroids but my blood sugar still reads high some days so be careful

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got asthma (am type 1 diabetic). Had a terrible cough, wheezing , trouble breathing 2 yrs ago. Got given prednisolone 5 days. Wow amazing for my cough, did ****** up my blood sugars very high for short time. Then I was given salbutamol (blue inhaler, reliever) and clenil ( brown inhaler, preventer). I dont take brown one all the time only when I start to cough a lot. Will take it for several weeks + when I am needing it. Dont notice raised blood sugars with the inhalers.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When it messed up bgs did you have the worry of ketones? should i be carrying my ketone kit more than usual?