Diabetes and breast cancer

Lynnbro

Hi, i'm a Type 2 diabetic (1year) diet controlled. Have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, caught very early so prognosis is good. My concern is that with the breast cancer treatment (surgery, radiotherapy and hormone therapy) I am due to have my consultant has indicated that weight gain is a highly probable side affect. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have lost over a stone in weight and have been struggling to lose more ( 2 stone or so to go). I do know with the weight loss and exercise my diabetes has been under control (HBA1c of around 37, 42, 44). Bizarrely, it is the possible weight gain that it upsetting me most at the moment.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer December 2012 and went through 12 months of surgery, chemo, radiotherapy and Herceptin infusions, no hormone therapy. At the time I wasn't diabetic ... that came later. Mine was also caught early, and at the moment after the usual 12 month review checks, am cancer-free. My experience of the treatment is that it is chemo that makes you gain weight, although I do believe the hormone therapy tablets are also culprits. I gained over a stone, but this was mainly because of the dietary changes I made to help with the chemo side effects. As you aren't having chemo, you won't have this problem, nor the steroid problems. It will be the tablets you have to watch.

You are doing so well with weight loss and BS control. I hope this doesn't spoil things for you, but as you are not having chemo you will still be able to exercise and stick to your current diet, so may not have the problems you are imagining. Not everyone puts on weight. It might just require a little more care.

Good luck with your treatment, and I hope you feel as good after it is all done as I do.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lynnbro, sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad things are sounding positive :)

Well done on your weight loss and bg readings at the moment, do you follow a particular diet? low carb etc

I don't have any experiences to share but hopefully more people will be along soon to help out xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Why not explain your concerns to the team looking after your care, and explain that it is to do with diabetes that you are doing well controlling. Hopefully they will understand and try to help you as best they can.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry to hear about the breast cancer and well done on losing weight and getting your levels down