Diabetes and Cancer - it's not all bad!

Paulbirch

Wanted to write here to say it isn't all that bad and if you're feeling down this just might help.
So. Last year I found out on the same day I was type 2 diabetic and had stage 2 kidney cancer. Not the greatest day. I was put on 500mg Metformin but to be honest didn't even think about the diabetes as the cancer kinds took president lol
Anyway. Kidney taken out. All good. But my eating habits were awful.
After cancer check up. Blood sugar levels at around 15. Also cancer moved to lung. Only v small spots tho so very treatable.
This time I know I gotta kick diabetes ass. I'm having radiotherapy and that raises blood sugar. Not ideal!!! So I'm put on 1000mg Metformin now. I'm testing my bloods 3 times a day and it's looking good.

So. Where is the happy part?
Well... On days I'm not on steroids my bloods are around 6.5 morning. 4.5 pre lunch and 6.5 after dinner. Thats pretty awesome!!! On steroid days it's between 9-13 but not horrific.
My diet is better. Lost well over a stone in about 3 weeks.
I feel better.
The thing is. Stress is as bad as carbs. I've seen my blood spike at 10 when I've had a stressful day. So my little advise is to not sweat the small stuff. Try an omelette instead of a sandwich. Beansprouts instead of noodles.
If you eat a slice of pizza it ain't the end of the world. We all here for each other and every small step is a step in the right direction.

Buzzer81

Wanted to write here to say it isn't all that bad and if you're feeling down this just might help.
So. Last year I found out on the same day I was type 2 diabetic and had stage 2 kidney cancer. Not the greatest day. I was put on 500mg Metformin but to be honest didn't even think about the diabetes as the cancer kinds took president lol
Anyway. Kidney taken out. All good. But my eating habits were awful.
After cancer check up. Blood sugar levels at around 15. Also cancer moved to lung. Only v small spots tho so very treatable.
This time I know I gotta kick diabetes ass. I'm having radiotherapy and that raises blood sugar. Not ideal!!! So I'm put on 1000mg Metformin now. I'm testing my bloods 3 times a day and it's looking good.

So. Where is the happy part?
Well... On days I'm not on steroids my bloods are around 6.5 morning. 4.5 pre lunch and 6.5 after dinner. Thats pretty awesome!!! On steroid days it's between 9-13 but not horrific.
My diet is better. Lost well over a stone in about 3 weeks.
I feel better.
The thing is. Stress is as bad as carbs. I've seen my blood spike at 10 when I've had a stressful day. So my little advise is to not sweat the small stuff. Try an omelette instead of a sandwich. Beansprouts instead of noodles.
If you eat a slice of pizza it ain't the end of the world. We all here for each other and every small step is a step in the right direction.

Wow, thanks for that post and love the positivity! I wondered about stress when I was diagnosed but my doctor said it won’t be that..... I’m not so sure and agree with what you’re saying. I haven’t tried bean sprouts but that’s a good suggestion. Cauliflower rice is a brilliant substitute for rice as well so definitely try that!!!

All the best to you mate and keep up the good work!!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your attitude is amazing!
Fab post, and thank you for posting.
Those numbers are great, so are your food choices, and the steroids are going to give you a rough ride, no matter what.
You are doing brilliantly.

Reactions: LindiePops