Diabetes and Depression?

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I ask how many people with diabetes struggle with depression?

I have heard there is a link, but no one really knows why??? I'm asking because I've had diabetes for 30 years (diagnosed age 9) and as many teens, I struggled through my teen years with horrendous bg's. Having neuropathy at age 17, I lost a lot of weight and was seriously ill. It took a few years to recover, but I developed awful depression after this time. I struggled with this depression for years until the clinic changed my antidepressants.... and I have been fine ever since. (I haven't been on any meds for depression for 15 years). I also look back and suspect my neuropathy caused the depression.....

Life throws some tough challenges for all of us and I've been through them all without asking for anything..... but recently there has been a major change for me which has been devastating. I've struggled through it, but did have to ask the clinic for a note to my gp asking for support. I was really upset when my consultant told me I was prone to anxiety knowing my history.

To be fare.... my daughter, who has a disability has recently been excluded from school. Understandably, I have been very upset and feel school and the education department has let her down, they feel she can not cope with the pressures and structure of school.... The problem I have, is that I need to take care of her 24/7 without any respite. I love my daughter beyond belief, but I've had to give up work to take care of her.... which adds another pressure of finances. I asked for support so that I could get some respite (pediatrician says there is nothing they can offer my daughter, so I thought I would ask for my health). I'm exhausted which upsets my blood sugars..... I felt like such a failure as a mother by hearing 'but I am prone to anxieties....'

Am I being unreasonable? Has anyone else been dismissed because of a history of depression?????

Thanks
Sx

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hey Smiley,

Im afraid i can offer no advice as im inexperienced in such matters but....if after everything you have been through and are going through you didnt have anxiety and or depression id be more suprised

You are doing an amazing job!

Good Luck
Andy

Reactions: 2 people

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Andy.... I was just curious to see how many of us (diabetics) do/have struggled with depression?

It is the most awful thing to happen and is an illness, which is why I was shocked at my consultants reaction. I am not suffering from depression now (because I've been through it and I recognize the symptoms), but didn't need my request for help to be dismissed because I have suffered from depression in the past? It can not be that unusual?

Thanks again Andy, that was a lovely thing to say!

xxx

Sunshine_Kisses

Hi, whilst I am in no way a medical expert I've been reading *loads* around diabetes over last 6 months or so, and have read on several occasions that there are a lot of theories it's gut related (sounds crazy I know)... Upon reading around that further, it's said that depression can also be linked back to the gut, which possibly may be the connection? Google 'depression and the gut' as well as 'diabetes and the gut' and read around it a little - may induce some lightbulb connections for you?
Good luck xx

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, i've struggled with depression.

Havent got anywhere near the difficult times and challenges that you have had...

Never been dismissed because of depression.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also had and do sufffer from the the dreaded depression and controlled by citalopram. When I discussed it with my diabetic nurse was told in people with diabetes it can affect seratonin levels which helps control mood, anxiety etc. the tablets help the body to either create or absorb extra seratonin (can't remember exactly) to stabilise anxiety, mood. That is what I was told so could be a link with diabetics but have not researched myself yet.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

justjay

I've suffered with chronic depression for many years now, well before being diagnosed. Been one several different anti depressants, finally on even ground, but still suffering ups and downs. I've never been dismissed as such, but it's very difficult to hear people in an office you are friends with make throwaway comments about the illness, not directly at me I'd like to add

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies. It has made me feel tons better, but I am so surprised there hasn't been much more research into this. I will look into the 'gut instinct' though, especially since it was around the time I was recovering from neuropathy. Interesting!

I also wanted to add that I still haven't heard anything from the doctors on my side, but my daughters consultant called today to say he has managed to get me an interview regarding help with respite. I am so so so pleased!!!

As I said before, depression is awful and since I did make it through to the other side, I am so grateful it hasn't returned!!!

xxx

claireb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise!
Hi, sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

I have suffered from depression for many years before being diagnoised type 2. While trying to sort out better eating plans and not binging on sugary foods, my moods have also stabalised to the point where I can think about going back to work for the first time in six and half years.
Don't know if the two are related but seems to be a big coincidence.
Hope you get the help you need xxx :wave:

ashleyk2552

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People saying 'I know how you feel'! NO YOU DONT!
Hi, I'm a type one and I suffer from depression. I'm only 17/18! Was diagnosed when I was 2..
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I have had Diabetes for 53 years and have had to inject myself all that time and quite frankly I think this is why I am depressed. Some mornings when I get up and say to my husband I did not have this blasted problem. It must be great not having to inject yourself everyday. When I said this to my Doctor his reply was "you could have a worse problem" My answer was. "that is coming from someone who does not have Diabetes" It controls your life.

Reactions: 4 people

Rellish

It's good to see others feel as low as I do, I often don't talk about how depressed having diabetes makes me feel. I don't want people to judge as no one who dose not have this conditions fully understands how hard it is. I have felt that I shouldn't mention it at clinics cause I don't want my fanily to worry or anything.

For me it comes in bouts, feeling fine then suddenly hysterical and over whelmed. Is it like that for others? I struggle wit feeling alone as my friends don't understand what I truly go through.

Age 20 type 1 for 8 years

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The constant worry of it gets me down. Every bite of food has to be considered and calculated for. Even then the litany of 'other factors' that can raise bs is beyond frustrating. Sometimes I really envy people who can eat what they like, when they like and barely think about it. 27 years of tests and injections and trying to stay on top has been exhausting. Since joining this forum I really feel better about myself and my diabetes. I still get frustrated with it but just logging in and reading the posts has benefited me on a deeply emotional level. Wouldn't it be great to get a few days off from diabetes- a couple of days a year where everything righted itself?

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree 100%! I have told my doctors more than once that they should live with Diabetes for a year, so that they can understand the illness and its associated problems from our point of view.

foreverdelayed

Thundercat-i feel you buddy. I've had it for 19 years now and the last few years have been the worst. Exhausting really is the word for it. I found that it was when other stresses were involved, like moving house, having kids, changing job, that diabetes becomes a huge issue and it can seem overwhelming. I'm just hoping that one day I might not have so much to worry about! In the meantime, a joint now and again gives some temporary relief and allows me to "switch off" for a couple hours. But that's just me!

Sunshine_Kisses

Lol! My friend swears that smoking weed brings her blood sugars down! I'm not game to try it, but each to their own - whatever works for you and all that ;-)

Thundercat I'm sorry to hear that you find it so exhausting - I'm very new to all this but can very well imagine how years on end can feel somewhat consuming; I've stopped working for now as I want to concentrate 100% on getting well and I don't possibly see how I could have the time or energy to do all the food prepping, shopping, planning, exercise etc etc if I was working too. Kudos to anyone who is doing both (as I'm sure many peeps on here must be).

I hope I'll get to a point where I feel on top of it all to have a more 'normal' life again... But Thundercat all the posts I've read of yours seem great; you seem to be doing really well... You've defo motivated me in some posts anyway :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Sunshine. Glad to know I am giving something back to this forum. You seem to be taking diabetes management very seriously. Well done and keep up the good work.

Sunshine_Kisses

Thank you, and ditto! :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

foreverdelayed

Yes I does lower blood sugar but I'm not getting into that again! Working wasn't a problem for years, it kinda gave me set mealtimes etc but I'm halfway through renovating a house, I have to leave my house at 5-45am so have to get up well early to test, eat etc. Pick up my daughter after work, cook supper, wash the clothes, put her to bed, then start painting etc. I think I'd prob be exhausted anyway without t1 diabetes. It can be easy to not do things to keep it simple but it never is simple, I've found myself wallowing if I'm not busy. Keep your head up and remember, "no challenge should be faced without a little charm and a lot of style" 10 points if you can name the song that lyric is from:)

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pleased others feel there are good reasons for depression. I must be honest, the times I become unreasonably neurotic, is when I have a new doctor or consultant I have to see. My GP changed recently and I was immediately on the defence.

I think, as you all say, you have to constantly be on top of what you're eating, you're injecting, what your emotions are, how tired you are... everything affects your blood sugars. When you've been doing it for so many years, people don't understand it is your way of life.... how dare anyone judge you!
I've had doctors tell me... 'until you start looking after yourself, you'll get heartburn'..... my hba1c was 6.8% I think I'm entitled to get stressed every now and again which I suspect was giving me heartburn. Another time I was rushed into A&E with chronic stomach ache, the nurse told me 'you diabetics are a drain on the NHS, when will you lot start looking after yourselves'. I was too ill to say anything, but I thought it was shocking and didn't help me feel better! How dare they!

When you living with people constantly judging you, it gets you down. It was only this morning on the news they were talking about getting children to lose weight because of the rise in diabetes. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Well..... need I say more? :x

Sorry to moan, but it's so nice to share! xxx