Diabetes and Epilepsy

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Any others here with both? If so, was a reason given for the epilepsy or was it as a result of an accidental injury?

I was involved in a car accident when I was a child, but the resultant scar on my brain surface didn't give me any trouble until I started my periods. Because of that they had hoped it might go away when I went through menopause but no such luck.

I just wondered how others made sure the stress of one didn't affect the other? Stress is a trigger for my epilepsy (taken in conjunction with either of the other two), but the stress of stressing about the epilepsy (haha) doesn't help the diabetes and vice versa.

What concerns me most, and no-one has ever explained this, is what could happen to the diabetes if I went into a full seizure. I am well controlled, but my last full seizure I had 45 minutes worth of convulsions. That was before diabetes arrived. A seizure leaves me weak as a feeble kitten for quite some time. I do wonder what it could do to the diabetes...

Has anyone come across this - family, friend, themselves. Anecdotal is fine (please don't tell me those ghastly stories about Uncle Joe who went into seizure and died - I've heard so many; I had a very inhibited adolescence!) Unless it happens a lot to people with both.... then I simply won't tell my husband!)

Doddy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have both Epilepsy and Diabetes (lada). I have had Epilepsy for 31yrs and Diabetes for 7. I have to admit I am very lazy with my D, but very good taking my AED’s. My seizures are not controlled and have been in status twice. My last status was 2 yrs ago, and I couldn’t tell you how my diabetes was managed exactly! I know I tested myself as soon as I was able! Normally after a seizure, whoever is with me will test. I am never really left alone - family make sure I am never alone, I frequently injure myself...fall downstairs, fracture shoulders etc!!

My BS does go lower apparently after a seizure. I know Paramedics have given me something before (can’t remember what tho!) to bring my sugars up. Try not to worry over both conditions- in my experience, unless your BS is already low before a seizure, I don’t think one will affect the other. My bs was at 2.9 when the paramedics gave me the meds...I’m still here.

But it does suck...but it is totally manageable xxx

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What concerns me most, and no-one has ever explained this, is what could happen to the diabetes if I went into a full seizure.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

In this case I would focus more on therapies that works for the epilepsy than the diabetes as diabetes is a chronic condition and epilepsy attacks an acute one.

I have no experience with epilepsy but have come across Charlie Foundation in my research on long term safety of keto diet for glucose control...although you have mentioned in other threads that you have ruled out keto for being too disruptive, it may still be helpful to read up about it.
https://charliefoundation.org/diet-plans/

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Thanks both - each reassuring in different ways.

I am well controlled in both my epilepsy and diabetes, but I my work life - like everyone's - can be deeply stressful at times. Alone that isn't enough to trigger me and I do avoid being hungry, but I think no-one can avoid being tired these days.

Thankfully I sleep well, and meditation each night takes care of a great deal of the stress. I love cooking and my husband and I have healthy (ahem!) appetites.

I do get curious though, and it does occasionally worry me so again - thank you :)