Diabetes and fatty liver

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi folks

I am gutted :cry: I have had a liver scan this afternoon following two blood tests with raised enzymes and have been told I have excess fat in my liver probably due to the diabetes. This must mean I have had it longer than I had thought surely?? I was only diagnosed 11 August and although I had high cholesterol 2 months before that I only really started getting the thirst and midnight trots to the loo a few weeks before diagnosis. I am really worried now - don't see doc for full results until next week and not sure what will have to do - presume more exercise and try to oose more weight. Anyone else had same experience or know anything about this :?:

Regards
Chris

ChocFish

Hi, I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease, excess alcohol consumption can be a cause but also diabetes, high cholesterol/lipids, and obesity, the good news is that if you dont drink alcohol, achieve good control of your bg and lose weight this condition can reverse itself.

Contact the British Liver Trust for further information

British Liver Trust
2 Southampton Road Ringwood BH24 1HY
Tel: 0870 770 8028 Web: http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk

All the best

Karen

cjohnson

Dislikes
Hi Karen

Thanks for the info. I have had a really boring life and not hardly drunk any alcohol in fact in 27 years of marriage hubby never seen me drunk - not likely too now :( Will have a look at the website you suggested, thanks again

Chris

sami

hi i had rased liver test when i was first dx it was 109 when it should be below 40 as i dont drink the gp put this down to rich food at xmas as this was just after xmas but with the change in my diet and lots of exerice within a month i got it down to 51 then by 5 months down to 31 so dont worry to much you can sort it out

Katharine

Hi Chris,

Fatty liver is a very common problem that goes hand in hand with type two diabetes and metabolic syndrome. It is very likely that this has crept up on you over many years. You can indeed reverse the problem and it need not get any worse or mean that you will ever get any symptoms from it.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Thanks for reassurance. Have been on British Liver Trust website and it's very informative. Am seeing doc next Friday to get the full results and as have not yet seen dietician yet (16 Oct) can mention it to her too. :D

Chris

Trinkwasser

cjohnson said:
Thanks for reassurance. Have been on British Liver Trust website and it's very informative. Am seeing doc next Friday to get the full results and as have not yet seen dietician yet (16 Oct) can mention it to her too. :D

Chris

When the dietician tells you to Eat More Starch! just be aware that's how they produce pate de foi gras, ie. fatty liver in geese . . .

cjohnson

Dislikes
Hi Trinkwasser

Don't worry I am an early convert to low carbs having taken the docs advice and had starchy stuff with every meal and not being able to get bs much below 8.5 at the very best! It's taken a while for me to take the plunge but have done today and bs down to 6.5 before tea, lowest it's been since diagnosed! Only thing is though I do miss bread, even after only 1 day - how sad is that :oops: Anyway may have the odd slice to beat the craving so long as I don't have anything else like that during the day.

Chris

caitycakes

Hi,

Try a bread called Burgen (you can get it at asda) only 11g carb per slice!!!!!! Lovely taste with seeds etc.

regards caitycakes

cjohnson

Dislikes
Thanks will give that a try. We make our own but prob still high in carbs! :roll:
Chris

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Chris,
two other breads you might want to try are Weightwatchers and Nimble, both around 9g per slice.

Trinkwasser

cjohnson said:
Hi Trinkwasser

Don't worry I am an early convert to low carbs having taken the docs advice and had starchy stuff with every meal and not being able to get bs much below 8.5 at the very best! It's taken a while for me to take the plunge but have done today and bs down to 6.5 before tea, lowest it's been since diagnosed! Only thing is though I do miss bread, even after only 1 day - how sad is that :oops: Anyway may have the odd slice to beat the craving so long as I don't have anything else like that during the day.

Chris

They don't believe you when you tell them that do they? <sad grin> I continue to take in graphs of my BG and BP as proof of the benefits of low carb on diabetes control, I think I'm starting to impress her!

You may find you can get away with some bread (for suitably small values of "some") at certain times of day, I can do a bit of wholemeal bread if I'm careful not to mix it with too many other carbs, but only with the evening meal.

I can do oatcakes quite successfully even at breakfast so long as I don't have more than two and dilute them with butter, nut butter, cheese, smoked salmon or salad, and I can do ryebread during the day but be a bit careful with that, it's very dense, one I bought was 70g/slice (40g carbs) but I can handle half a slice if I'm busy enough.

In general though starch is pretty much wasted when you can eat far more nutritious things instead. Oats and rye contain higher levels of beta-glucans than wheat which gives them more bang per buck.

Over time the fatty liver may disperse as your glucose metabolism comes under control.