Diabetes and Flexible work Request

Robbieowen55

Hi Guys,

Dont know if you can help me out with this one.

I am a newly diagnosed Type 1 (Diagnosed in July 2011) I am 29 years old and work in quite a stressful Job as a business analyst.

My hours range from 0745-22:00 on a 10-12 hour rotation.

When I was diagnosed I was off work for six weeks whilst I was coming to terms with the condition and was quite badly ill during this period I got myself under good control with MMOL Readings of 6-8.

I subsequently returned to work for a six week period but found when working the late shifts I was really struggling with my control as the shifts vary so much, And unfortunately came down with a Viral Infection water infection and had a Keytone Episode.

I am returning to work today after taking two weeks off but everybody is telling me to ask for flexible working for a few months to get myself under control otherwise I will end up ill again.

Really stressed about the whole situation can anybody offer some advice???

Cheers Robbie.

:oops:

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Tricky one Robbie. How big is the organisation you work for? Do they do flexi time for new Mums? If they do they will probably do it for you.
I have to say 12 hour shifts are punishing even for the very fit. You need to look for a job with regular hours. If you are in London consider moving out to the provinces, where you can have the same lifestyle on half the money.
Just throwing out ideas here.

zibi1

Hi Robbie,

I am working in very "stressful" conditions. I am a consultant for a very well known firm, working regularly 14+ hours a day, with enormous travel required (sometimes 5-6 planes a week). It is tough sometimes but it's doable. And there are two other people at my offices with T1 and they are coping with the situation really well. Don't give up that quickly, you'll need to be able to have your readings under control whilst working long hours. Taking additional two weeks off won't help.

Here are some suggestions that may help you in managing your diabetes in your working environment:
1) Stick to your diet, rigorously (for example, bring food from home)
2) Eat when you're supposed to eat, don't postpone dinner because you're working late
3) Test frequently, ideally before a meal, 1.5 hours after a meal (to prevent hypos) and mid-afternoon
4) Always have something sweet when you walk in meetings (Lucozade) as hypos are always around the corner

Believe me, it takes some discipline but it's nothing complicated. After a couple of months you'll become even more flexible and good at controlling your readings. But please, do not change job because of the diabetes!

Hope this helps!!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The toughest period with diabetes is the honeymoon period after diagnosis and starting on insulin. Particularly for adults who are working and have to manage food, doses etc themselves. The problem is that honeymoon period of irregular insulin production by your pancreas can go on for months. Meanwhile, you need to get used to a new way of life, maintaining what's really important, work, sports, hobbies etc. While some will disagree, some will say that keeping employer happy is part of this, although not at expense of yourself, but being discrete and not making too much fuss can be important in some situations.

Zibi's practical advice is excellent.

Jojo1973

Hi

Not read all the replies but just want to say that any employer should (and I think is required to by law) make reasonable adjustments to working patterns, or give you extra breaks to eat/test etc. It is in their best interests to help you manage your condition.

If they give you any trouble I would mention the Disability Discrimination Act and see where they go from there. My employer will allow me to take extra breaks if I need to, and I do not think it would be unreasonable to ask for extra time to help manage your levels, especially at this early stage.

Whatever you do don't think you have to change jobs - unless of course you want to!!

Jo

Fallenstar

give your self some times to settle with this disease, you will and it will fit in with whatever you decide to do in or with your life. At first it is hard to try and fit in everything else when the early honeymoon days seem all consuming....but you will find a balance,it will come . Just try and take one day at a time .

Well done on getting your levels between 6/8 that sound great for early control and while you are busy with work and life in general,brilliant! You do have to make compromises with what your Endo wants and being able to function in your every day life sometimes..but they look like good levels, so that is one less thing to worry about.

I agree with Zibbi, good advice. Get organised with your home prepared meals and snacks ,with pre worked out carbs , so that will make dosing easier in your work environment . It would be a lot harder to gauge a canteen meal...packet stuff has the carbs on ,but brought from home it can be measured worked out and easily available. and hopefully healthy :wink:

I hope your employer is understanding because if they invest in the help you need in the early days , it will make it a much better long term solution to having you as a productive employee...the earlier things settle the more confident you will both feel :D

good luck

zuerner

Hi there I have been on an insulin pump for the last 3 1/2 years and find this a great way to keep everything under control. If you work odd or long hours it will give you the flexibility to eat at different times and if you test regular like I do if my BM's are rising I can give either a small amount of insulin to correct this and bring things down or increase the basal insulin to do the same trick. Likewise if my BM's are low and can do the same but decrease the insulin intake which all helps balance things out.
Feel free to contact me if you want to know more..Regards Martin