Diabetes and full time studies

allanfouard

I was diagnosed of T2 just 2 weeks ago with double figure readings; and this has left me stressed and seriously affecting my academic work .I am currently on Metformins treatment.
I informed my personal tutor about it and she is advising that I defer the course. So I am wondering if there are long term (say in months) effect that would adversely affect me and eventaully my studies.
Did anyone ever have to withdraw from a course as a result of diabetes?

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
allanfouard said:
I was diagnosed of T2 just 2 weeks ago with double figure readings; and this has left me stressed and seriously affecting my academic work .I am currently on Metformins treatment.
I informed my personal tutor about it and she is advising that I defer the course. So I am wondering if there are long term (say in months) effect that would adversely affect me and eventaully my studies.

Dear Allanfouard,

Welcome to the forum, but you have posted your question in the wrong area, this thread is something I am trying to do for research into diabetes. I will ask a moderator to split this thread so we can carry on and your question will be answered in the main forum.

Can a mod please split this as it's OFF TOPIC

thanks
Eliminator.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
allanfouard said:
Replying in a PM as well in case the topic you posted in is moved or split and you can't find the answer.

I previously withdrew from a university course, I believe undiagnosed diabetes was a major reason for this, tiredness etc. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year later.

I'm now doing another univeristy course, after starting treatment my diabetes improved, I'm sorry but I really don't remember how long it took though.

I would really recommend thinking hard about deferring for a year, or maybe you could do some modules this year and some next year, to reduce your workload. You won't start feeling 100% immediatly after starting treatment (though you will probably notice some improvement very soon), and if you are already behind with work you will be coping with that work, plus the new work you have to do.

Talk it over with you tutor and lecturers, you might be able to get extensions for coursework, and if you are still feeling tired and needing to go to the loo a lot you might be able to get rest breaks in exams, as well as un-timed loo breaks.