Diabetes and Heart Problems

utters0

I am 35 years old and have been diabetic since I was 5. Last November I had a heart attack and have been put on 6 different drugs to treat it. While reading up about these, it seems that statins are recommended for people with diabetes to help to head off heart problems.

I'm interested to know whether it would have been advisable for me to be on statins before my heart trouble as this may have prevented my heart attack. Can anyone tell me what the recommendations are for this?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi UttersO,welcome to the forum. Did you ever have your blood tested for cholesterol before your heart attack?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
How's your blood pressure and your BG control?
I had a stroke at 56, but my cholesterol was never high, but BG and BP were.

Trinkwasser

The jury's still out on the benefits or otherwise of statins. Some of the benefits are probably from reducing inflammation rather than their direct effect on cholesterol. My take: they are very beneficial drugs for one minority of the population, a nightmare for another minority and for the rest they are unneccesary

Type 2s are more likely than Type 1s to suffer from "diabetic dyslipidemia" but again you can do a lot with diet, principally reducing carbs so you require lower levels of insulin. Type 2s often require huge amounts by comparison due to insulin resistance which Type 1s are less prone to.