Diabetes and MultiVitamins

JJWM

Dislikes
Liars, two-faced people, hypocrits. judgemental people
My sister has gave me some Multi-Vitamin tablets to try and help my immune system and stop be being unwell all the time with my diabetes when catching colds etc.

Does anyone actually take vitamin tablets with diabetes and are they actually any good? (do they do the job)

Anthony88

Diabetic for 15 years and as long as you have a balanced diet you would never need such suppliments anyway. Take the free flu jab once a year and you'll hold up a lot better than many "normal" people.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The multi-vits on their own are not going to stop you getting ill JJWM, your signature says you are 'type 1 and uncontrolled' this would be more than likely why you are unwell all the time. Having uncontrolled diabetes leaves the immune system shot and struggling to cope which leaves you open to infections and viruses, by tightening your control you will see that these illnesses will become very few and far between.

I don't take a multi-vit and prefer to get my vits from fresh fruit and veg, however if you don't eat the required amount I can't see any harm in taking a daily supplement.

Nigel

anniep

I am unable to eat friut, it either affects my BG or my IBS. So I take a mulit vitamin, with the knowlegde of pratice nurse who overseas the diabetes care. It does no harm though I am not sure how much good does, but it makes me feel better.

JJWM

Dislikes
Liars, two-faced people, hypocrits. judgemental people
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Anthony88 said:
Take the free flu jab once a year and you'll hold up a lot better than many "normal" people.

I used to have the flu job every year but found out I was better without it. I had less flu's without the jab than when I have the jab.

I have also got admitted into hospital or my diabetes goes haywire when I have the jab for some reason.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
JJWM said:
I used to have the flu job every year but found out I was better without it. I had less flu's without the jab than when I have the jab.

Are you not confusing ''flu's'' with bad colds JJWM?

I have also got admitted into hospital or my diabetes goes haywire when I have the jab for some reason.

It can cause bg to rise over the following day or two, when I get the flu-jab I monitor my bg closely and increase my insulin if need be.

Talk to your dsn about your control, hopefully with tighter control your health will improve.

Nigel