Diabetes and pregnancy

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We want to have a baby and I was only diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. We have been informed that I would have to go on insulin but am worried about the hypos, driving and me having a needle phobia. They would want me to go on insulin before I get pregnant, but have concerns with being out in the community working with people with learning disabilities. Has anyone been or are going though this situation at present. Please tell me your experiences. I really want to have a family and am 44 and neither of us have had children.

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
We want to have a baby and I was only diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. We have been informed that I would have to go on insulin but am worried about the hypos, driving and me having a needle phobia. They would want me to go on insulin before I get pregnant, but have concerns with being out in the community working with people with learning disabilities. Has anyone been or are going though this situation at present. Please tell me your experiences. I really want to have a family and am 44 and neither of us have had children.
Hi, I would take there advice. In my first pregnancy I had gestational diabeties, I miscarried a 2nd child due to high bms because I hadn't been followed up on. I was on insulin for 6-12 months before they advised I was safe to concieve, by this time I had a real handle on my insulin regime which set me in good stead to be able to make all the adjustments needed during pregnancy. Ask for & take all the information you can gather, but remember everyone is different & do what you know is right for your body. I have only recently found this site but already know there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on here, make sure you use them. I can't really comment on how it will affect your work, maybe best to speak to your consultant & maybe your employer, but I did have to put my foot down with my employer who loved to put me on back to back shifts which affected my eating & sleeping patterns.
I am sorry but can't help with needle phobia either as I have no experience of it but please don't be put off or down hearted, I now have 3 fab kids aged 23yrs, 21yrs & 14yrs. I also have a diabetic friend who is 46yrs that has 4 children & 1 is only a little baby. I hope this helps. Lin xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Check out the Pregnancy section here. You can have a read of other women's experiences and see that although a diabetic pregnancy is hard work, it's perfectly do-able. I'm going to move your post there as you may get more responses from women in a similar situation.

I understand how nervous insulin might make you - I have Type 1 so have always been on insulin, but I was scared to start with. I also had a needle phobia but I got over that as I time went by :)

I think it's also important to point out that the needles you use for insulin aren't like the needles you might have with a vaccination. They're very thin and short, and not half as scary to look at :)

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Check out the Pregnancy section here. You can have a read of other women's experiences and see that although a diabetic pregnancy is hard work, it's perfectly do-able. I'm going to move your post there as you may get more responses from women in a similar situation.

I understand how nervous insulin might make you - I have Type 1 so have always been on insulin, but I was scared to start with. I also had a needle phobia but I got over that as I time went by :)

I think it's also important to point out that the needles you use for insulin aren't like the needles you might have with a vaccination. They're very thin and short, and not half as scary to look at :)
Do you get many hypos that have affected you to drive presumably that you can drive

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you test often @Sallies then you shouldn't really have problems with work or driving :)