Diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis - a trade off

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Most of us are well aware that diabetes is "aggravated" by steroids no matter by which route they are administered. I saw my RA
Consultant yesterday and he was very concerned about my current general discomfort with pain etc. He did not give me a steroid injection last time we met due to my recent diabetes diagnoses so I am now pretty rough.
He gave me an injection which will kick in over the 48 hours or so - to be honest I can't wait. We discussed what this may do to my glucose levels and yes, they may be raised for a few days, but it is a risk worth taking.
I'll email my DNS later today advising her and now I look forward to our first proper appointment on Tuesday.
This whole diabetes thing is a state of compromises and trade-offs, never going to get it totally right . . . . . . . .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hang in their,
you will get it right,
i have many other illnesses and meds that affect my bloods,you just have to work with it but it does get easier

A

AnnieC

Most of us are well aware that diabetes is "aggravated" by steroids no matter by which route they are administered. I saw my RA
Consultant yesterday and he was very concerned about my current general discomfort with pain etc. He did not give me a steroid injection last time we met due to my recent diabetes diagnoses so I am now pretty rough.
He gave me an injection which will kick in over the 48 hours or so - to be honest I can't wait. We discussed what this may do to my glucose levels and yes, they may be raised for a few days, but it is a risk worth taking.
I'll email my DNS later today advising her and now I look forward to our first proper appointment on Tuesday.
This whole diabetes thing is a state of compromises and trade-offs, never going to get it totally right . . . . . . . .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I know from my own mother that long term steroid treatment causes athritis, She took steroids for over 30 years when she was diagnosed with a lung condition in her 50's she took prednisolone for the rest of her life dying at age 88 she never developed diabetes but did have severe athritis which her GP said was due to the long term effects of the steroids

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
@Alanp35. I hope the cortisone injection soon gives you some relief from the pain you're in. It may push your BG up a bit but so does constant intense pain. Hobson's choice eh......maybe you could cut back on your carbs a little to compensate for the effect of the steroids?
Take care.
Geri :)