Diabetes and shift working

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After six years of not working shifts, I'm going back to full rotating shifts: early, back and night.
My blood sugar control is okay, but my fear is how will shifts affect my control.

I'm looking for some other's experiences and of it affected them. Do I have to change my eating patterns too much (low carb at present)? Any other problems or benefits?

Thanks

Ken

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Knapweed :)

I'm afraid that I have no experience to share but hopefully someone who has may be along to help.

All I can suggest is keep a diary of everything and keep testing so that you can monitor everything, note any significant changes and react accordingly. Hope all goes well! :)

basher132

Hello,
I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, diet control, reduced carb intake, been on nights for 9 years now. I've found that eating a main meal at 4.00pm, "lunch" at 23.30 - midnight, and coffee when I get up at 13.30 ish has minimal effect on my levels. I find that Burgen soya and linseed bread has less effect on my sugar levels than anything else, so I generally have that for a lunch sandwich.
Cheers,
John

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work shifts, earlies, lates and nights with a couple of days off thrown in. I don't often get breaks either. My levels have been fine (last HbA1c 5.0) because the only carbs I eat are to be found in vegetables, nuts, and all manor of other good food. None of the white stuff for me, apart from cauliflower.
I'm two years down the line and finding food to eat is no different to my carby days. Oh wait. There is a difference. I used to take huge amounts of food with me because there is nowhere to get any where I work and I was afraid of going hungry or running out. Don't give it a second thought these days.

wiflib