Diabetes and Smoking: overweight problem

Smartie

Hi!
My friend has Type 2. She smokes regularly (approximately 5 cigarettes a day). Doctors insist on her quitting smoking but when she tries to, she starts putting on weight. Is it necessary to stop smoking anyway?

chocoholic

Well, it all depends upon which way you look at it. Your friend may think keeping weight down is preferable to giving up smoking but I'd sooner find a better way (like cutting carbs) to shift the weight.
Having handled a real lung, blackened by smoking, in a science lesson at school, it put me off smoking for life.
Personally, I can't think of one good reason to smoke, so i hope you have some luck persuading your friend to give it up.

ChocFish

Hi, your friend is type 2, does she take medication and what is her diet like, does she exercise? She may read up here on the posts all about low carb diet, etc, she can lose weight and never even feel hungry.
I enclose a link regarding smoking, read the post further down the page by Dennis, good advice there, although of course its not going to be easy to give up the evil weed.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3492&p=17996#p17996

All the best to you and your friend

Karen

KimSuzanne

The main reason for it being such an important thing for diabetics is because our bodies rely on our blood to carry the medication through our bodies and when you smoke it hardens the arteries and leaves residue in the arteries that slows down the flow of blood.
I have to say I am a smoker (15 a day) on a really bad day, I work in the care industry, a lot more so your friends 5 a day is not great but better than most of us. The more people nag her the more determined she will be to keep smoking - I wish people would understand its an addiction you will only give up when your ready.
Sorry rambling but thats why its important to give up!