Diabetes and Sport

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I have never been explained to exactly how exercise affects Type 1 Diabetes and can't seem to figure it out. In some cases like when I'm exercising in the gym my sugars aren't affected in the short term but I have to drop my insulin dosages slightly after the next meal or I have a hypo, or in some cases I can go the gym and my sugars aren't affected at all I can take my narwal doses and my reading be between 4-8 mmol/l. Then in other cases taking part in sport like volleyball causes my sugar levels to drop rapidly whilst I'm playing meaning I have to take lucozade or something similar during the sport. If anyone has any understanding of why this is it would be much appreciated. :)

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is something to do with your muscles using the glucose. This happens for at least 24 hours after exercise which is why your sugars can drop the next day.
Last year I trained for and completed a 50 k walk. I would have to run my sugars high before I started as by the time I had walked 4 miles my bg would be low. I also suffered with lots of hypos upto 48 hours after training.
I hope that helps to answer your question, hopefully someone more knowlegable will be able to confirm or dismiss my response. ☺

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Essentially, exercise moves Glut4 transporters to the muscle surface close to blood vessels and allows them to use more glucose. Post training these remain at the surface, close to the blood supply and pull more glucose into the cell for it to use. Insulin also activates the Glut4 transducers, which is why post exercise less insulin is required.

Interestingly, if you do a weight session and follow it with a cardio session, this mechanism also gives you benefits in terms of glycogen depletion when entering a ketosis state.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a FB group called Sporty Type 1's and another group called RunSweet which has a load of info from type 1 athletes on how to manage various activities and giving the reasons different sports affect us in the way they do, I.e. anaerobic v aerobic. I think you'd find these really useful and will help with the hypo's.

Reactions: 2 people