Diabetes and Stress

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I had my diabetes beautifully under control with nice low fasting levels, but in the last couple of weeks everything has gone wonky :cry:

I'm not doing anything differently, I follow my usual regimes which have worked like a treat until now, but my fasting levels are now up as are my levels in the evening.

The only difference is stress. My son has returned to live at home from university having graduated in Law. He is working for the moment in a job that has stupidly long hours and I'm back to not being able to get to sleep until I hear him come home. My mum is not well and we received bad news about her diagnosis today and my levels are up yet again.

It's really frustrating and annoying, which no doubt will help push my stupid levels up again. My levels would not be considered to be high, but are too high for control freak me.

Does anyone else find that stress affects their levels like this?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
In a nutshell didie, yes. Admittedly I have not been taking good care of myself recently after mum's death but tonight I had a small portion of pasta with plenty of cauliflower and cheese.

3 hours later - 11.5 :(

Says it all really. Cut yourself a little slack at a difficult time for you x

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes definately - work a bit of an issue at the moment and my BSs are all over the place . It's a real pain as my sugars are so unpredictable :thumbdown:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes stress will do it every time Didie especially the stress of seeing you are getting high levels! When its happened to me I just do what Angie said and cut myself a bit of slack. So I will purposefully stop testing for at least a day and then start up again by testing just before bed after having a chill out evening with a G&T or two, a very low carb dinner and maybe a nice relaxing hot bath. Once you get one good reading again it seems to sort itself out.

Defren

I am not under stress but I do have something happening out the norm, and I can tell you I have had readings in the 8, 9 and 10's the last couple of days (yesterday I was fasting and the figures were unreal) figures I have NEVER seen before. Granted they are one of's and I know they will settle, but I do think if we have stress, or excitement, nerves - things out the norm it does effect our BG.

I'm with Angie, cut yourself some slack, you are going through more than enough, and worrying about your BG is the last thing you need.

I will be in touch when I get back, you take care of you, I know what the panic about BG levels are like, but I have had to accept I can't always have perfect figures, good/happy or bad/sad times happen and they do effect our figures.

(((Didie))) Hugs - Joanna. xx

B

badcat

Yes when works even more stressfull than usual, my sugars can start to go bonkers.
As I understand it the chemistry of it is that the body responds to stress by releasing hormones such as ephidrine,cortisol and (I think) some other hormones, the effect of these stress hormones is to get the liver to release glucose into the system so that you have more energy to react to the stress. In non diabetics, the excess glucose gets mopped up by the pancreas releasing insulin but not for us

MaryJ

Hi didie

Sorry to hear things are not good at the moment,

Totally agree with xyzzy, stop testing for a while, eat the things you know are ok for you. High readings in themselves can cause you to be stressed, especially after your brilliant control.

Maybe when your son's been home for a little while, you will get used to his comings and goings and settle down a bit. Your mums illness and news may well not help anytime soon. Really hope you're all ok.

Mary x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never underestimate the impact that stress can have on diabetes control.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Thanks for the replies :)

badcat, that is a great explanation - thank you!

It really just goes to show that once a diabetic, always a diabetic. It's always lurking in the shadows to catch you out.

I had to drive down to Yorkshire this morning as it looks as though my mum has leukemia at the ripe old age of 82. We're in a waiting for results situation now. I've spent the day dealing with doctors and hospital clinics.

I've decided just to test my fasting bloods in the morning and 2 hours post-breakfast and drop the evening test for the moment. I'm getting all my exercise after eating etc done as usual, so really do have my diabetes under control as much as I can.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Riri said:
Yes definately - work a bit of an issue at the moment and my BSs are all over the place . It's a real pain as my sugars are so unpredictable :thumbdown:

Yes me too, I had a reading of 19 when I came home from work because of problems just as I was leaving. I try not to get worked up but it just keeps happening. So yes, any upset, worry, makes my BS shoot up and I'm Type 1 as well, that is not good :( RRB

didie

Dislikes
My stupid sugar levels are all over the place at the moment due to stress and toasted tea cakes. In the mornings I have had all-time lows in the low 4's and then been up above 6 for the first time in over 9 months on other days.

My 82-year old mum has gone from being super-fit to terminally ill with an aggressive lymphoma in just over 2 weeks and I have become her main carer as she wants to stay at home as long as she can. She can no longer walk or wash herself without help.

I have been so good with my diet over the last year, but at the moment when I am able to leave my mum with someone to watch her, I'm going for a coffee to keep me awake and end up eating a toasted tea cake as well and then I feel bad about that and my levels go up again. They are still not technically high, but too high for my liking. I need to cut out the tea cake :thumbdown:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Will drop you a PM x

MaryJ

Hi didie

Really sorry to hear it's not better news.

Don't beat yourself up over the odd tea cake. I would hazard a guess you're probably not eating properly anyway at the moment.

you have done brilliantly , truely brilliantly over the last year.

As you have said your levels are not over the 7.8 many of us prefer. high for you but not high for others. For now, can you forget about testing. Not forget totally about having DB but cut yourself a bit of slack at what must be a terrible time in your life at the moment.

Hugs to you

Mary xxx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My thoughts and prayers are with you Didie.

You have done extremely well with glucose control and you will get back on track when you can.

Remember to take good care of yourself. I have been a hands-on full-on carer and I know how much it can take its toll. I hope you are able to access some home-based care support, to allow you to recharge your batteries.

didie

Dislikes
My mother died early yesterday morning three weeks and one day after she called the doctor because she was breathless. Mantel cell lymphoma is the most vicious cancer I have ever seen. The only consolations as she was literally shrivelled before my eyes was that she was in no pain and that she died in her own house and her only carers were myself and my lovely sister. My slug of an older sister turned up yesterday having had a good sleep after the death (whilst we sat up with my mother, cleaned and washed her and watched the sunrise until the surgery opened to call the doctor) with a rucksack and bag to rummage through the house. She tried to walk off with my mother's laptop which she had spent the whole of the last day that my mother was dying, working on instead of comforting and helping to ease her mother on her way.

The last time I checked my blood sugar it was 10.7, way way too high for me. Hopefully on Sunday when the slug flies back to her slug-nest out of the country and I am finally able to go home after being away for 3.5 weeks I will be able to go home and I'll be able to get my levels down again.

MaryJ

Morning Didie

My sincere condolences. Thankfully you managed to make your mum's last days the best they could be with love and care.

Mary x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello didie...
Much love and thoughts to you and your family .
Take time out just for "you" as you have recently been stressed and stretched to care for your mum.
No wonder your BG levels are bouncing around all over the place, it is totally understandable...x
Please do let us know if you need any ideas or help, support too.
We are here for you...
Anna.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sorry that your mum has gone but glad to hear she had no pain. x

Didie, I don't want to hijack your thread but must mention levels and stress. I had been doing well, got a couple of levels in the 5's this week which I was pleased about. I had a difficult day yesterday and had some serious anxiety all day, I have felt quite "off" today, very weary this afternoon and extremely itchy, still feeling a bit nervy.

I checked my bg an hour and a half ago - 13.0, and what I have eaten could not possibly cause that, it is definitely stress. Your levels will come back down quickly I am sure of that, but make sure you use some time for yourself to let emotions do what they need to..it helps.

xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am so sorry for your loss. (Hugs)

What you have been through is stressful enough without the behaviour of your older sister. I too have a family member who behaves in similar ways, so I can empathise completely. It is good that your other sister is lovely.

Try to take good care of yourself as best you can. I know it's so hard to do at a time like this. I agree with Ladybird about stress and BGs, as I have been going through a similar experience lately. I am sure that in a short time your BGs will be back to what they were before.

Best wishes
Catlady

Defren

My deepest condolences Didie. No words will help, but try to take what ever comfort you can from the fact it was painless and peaceful. My heart goes out to you, and I'm thinking of you.

Take it easy love, ok?

Joanna xxx