Diabetes and sunburn?

DILIGENT

Hi to all,

I went to skegg for weekend wiv family we were sat outside pub sat afternoon didnt realise how hot it was wiv no sun protection both my arms are red raw from sun and burning and i feel chilly for past 3 days do i need to see doc also anything i use aloe vera gel dosnt help or painkillers also dont help just been in bath made it worse am type 2 diabetic and bs gone up also how do i treat this its uncomfortable with clothes near n my skin too never thought sun could do so much damage hate it i always burn being blonde colour hair ect.

Help

Diligent

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Diligent :)

I would recommend that you get to the doctors and in the meantime try Caladryl or calamine lotion which should cool it and take away the irritation.

Another thought is an ice pack or if you don't have one make your own with ice cubes and a thin towel. Just hold it against the affected area. Although it sounds as if you probably want to jump into a tank of really cold water - hope you find some relief soon! :(

C

catherinecherub

Hi Diligent,

Too late to help now and you may need to see your G.P. if it doesn't subside.

Hope there isn't a next time for you but if there is try slapping plain yoghurt from the fridge on your arms as this does help. Also up your fluid intake.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm using up last year's factor 30 spray from my granddaughter. I'm assuming that it will be less effective than it was, but enough for me.
Hana

Caroline W

Dislikes
being ill
The advice I was given many years ago is as follows:

Always protect in the sun. If you know you are prone to burning keep things coverd or use a good quality sunscreen.

If swimming, reapply sunscreen, although it is a good idea to reapply it through the day if you are going to be in the sun alot anyway

Drink plentybut try to avoid anything sugary or with lots of caffein in it.

Use a good moisturiser or after sun once you come in and re apply at regular intervals.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I never believe anything that manufacturers say, proof is in how it works for me.

As Catherine says, if you are considering supplements of any sort, get it checked out first. You can also have too much of some which can be dangerous. It can save you a load of money too.

Ken

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunburned skin is dehydrated, so it is key to replenish your skin by drinking plenty of water. It helps your skin heal faster. The more water, the better. The key is to keep yourself hydrated, which comes with its set of benefits. So why not catch two (or more!) birds with a single stone?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Coming from the #1 sunburn country in the world, you never wear s/s shirts outside unless for very brief periods. Cloud cover in summer is totally misleading. So is skin colour

D

Deleted member 308541

Coming from the #1 sunburn country in the world, you never wear s/s shirts outside unless for very brief periods. Cloud cover in summer is totally misleading. So is skin colour
Gotta agree with this, even my indigenous friends get a bit sunburnt if they are not careful.

Here's a advert for "Slip Slop Slap" from the 1980's warning of the dangers of sunburn,I do not think that the OP is still around after eight years though.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
... and a wide brimmed hat. Baseball style caps are useless. Regardless of diabetes, ALWAYS a decent UV pair of sunglasses. Facial skin cancers killed 2 of my close relatives

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

... and a wide brimmed hat. Baseball style caps are useless. Regardless of diabetes, ALWAYS a decent UV pair of sunglasses. Facial skin cancers killed 2 of of close relatives
Just like Sid recommends in the new "Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide" advert.