Diabetes and thrush

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I'm having a flare up of thrush at the moment. Does anyone have any handy hints for relieving it cos it's driving me nuts! I'm diet and exercise controlled so there's no problem about conflicting medication

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a cream prescribed by my doc but some people use yogurt. I only get it though if my sugars are high. Do you test?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I Don, t get thrush now but used to alot before being diagnose as t2 and in the early days of being t2 because of very high sugar levels. I used cream from my gp, also I used to get alot of oral thrush, which again gp gave me something for that

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Diamum5972 .

I found the combi treatment from gp the best.
I tried the one which has the 1% cream but didn't relieve mine. Only the 2% cream works for me.
Both can bought at chemists but in the below £10 region for cost. GP didn't need to see my symptoms to be diagnosed so don't feel its embarising when I need to request the odd treatment now.

I think I need the 2% because I had thrush for 2yrs in last pregnancy and beyond. Singular 1% treatment didn't work. I ended up on suppositries for months to shift it. Like @Ann1982 I found only once high bgs inbetween 7.8mmol/l and over I still get mine back.
I buy Canestan soothing female wash for £8 out of boots to keep any threats at bay!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a flucanozole capsule to swallow and this, in conjunction with Canestan cream, would be the combo I would need to kick a flare-up into touch.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I use a cream prescribed by my doc but some people use yogurt. I only get it though if my sugars are high. Do you test?
Yes I do, my fbg is usually in the 6s but this week it's been hovering around the mid 7s. I've been wondering if it's because of the infection

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Diamum5972 .

I found the combi treatment from gp the best.
I tried the one which has the 1% cream but didn't relieve mine. Only the 2% cream works for me.
Both can bought at chemists but in the below £10 region for cost. GP didn't need to see my symptoms to be diagnosed so don't feel its embarising when I need to request the odd treatment now.

I think I need the 2% because I had thrush for 2yrs in last pregnancy and beyond. Singular 1% treatment didn't work. I ended up on suppositries for months to shift it. Like @Ann1982 I found only once high bgs inbetween 7.8mmol/l and over I still get mine back.
I buy Canestan soothing female wash for £8 out of boots to keep any threats at bay!
Thanks Vicky, I've just been to see the nurse and she prescribed the Canesten combi with the 2% cream. I haven't had thrush for years but she was happy to prescribe me the stronger stuff

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes I do, my fbg is usually in the 6s but this week it's been hovering around the mid 7s. I've been wondering if it's because of the infection
That's where mine gets triggered @Diamum5972 . If I run over 10mmol/l, on gp treatment it goes but when lowering bgs it gets triggered again. I was bobbing up and down without insulin for just under 2yrs after coming off insulin in last pregnancy.
I was nearly going out of my mind :wacky: ha ha

I hope you get rid of it soon hun.
And it stays gone!
I just call receptionists now who send me via chemist what I need.
When they changed my insulins recently it triggered

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mine starts up again if I go over 8 mmol/l for any length of time. I keep a tube of the Canestan cream in the fridge at all times (just in case) - the cream is lovely straight out of the fridge. :)

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for your input everyone, it's helped to put my mind at rest. The nurse wasn't able to take any swabs on Friday so I've got to go back on Monday. Let's hope I see some improvement by then, I have an IT exam on Monday morning!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is thrush something that diabetics get more than non diabetics or is it something that some women diabetic or not are more susceptible to. I am 78 and I have never had thrush myself

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is thrush something that diabetics get more than non diabetics or is it something that some women diabetic or not are more susceptible to. I am 78 and I have never had thrush myself

Yes, I never had it before becoming T2 and now it always develops if my BG runs high. Another good reason for getting good BG control.

I worked with a young woman - very slim - who had constant Thrush and kept going back again and again to her GP about it because nothing would get rid of it - as a last resort they did a full blood test including HbA1c - and the result showed her BG was VERY high so they put her straight away on to insulin (which actually didn't help very much). I suggested low carb but sadly she felt she couldn't live her life happily without carbs.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for your input everyone, it's helped to put my mind at rest. The nurse wasn't able to take any swabs on Friday so I've got to go back on Monday. Let's hope I see some improvement by then, I have an IT exam on Monday morning!
I often wondered if stress was a catalyst too. I couldnt get rid of mine and I was experiencing a 'burn out' at the time too.
I guess it didn't help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Pinkorchid said:
I'm not sure. I believe if a person returns to a gp for more thrush threatment the gp wants to investigate, I was told. (Unless already diagnosed diabetic)
However in early 1970s I was 5/6yr old and was constantly sent away with my mum with a cream of some sort which only relieved my soreness after I'd been up all night and dawn was breaking, sitting in a tepid bath with no soaps. Matey aggravated my thrush years. I was stressed then too.
I now remember being overweight and tired and up through the night for wees and bathing. My dad bought a bidet which reduced the hot water/heating bill in the winter.
I believe I had type2 diabetes then?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, I never had it before becoming T2 and now it always develops if my BG runs high. Another good reason for getting good BG control.

I worked with a young woman - very slim - who had constant Thrush and kept going back again and again to her GP about it because nothing would get rid of it - as a last resort they did a full blood test including HbA1c - and the result showed her BG was VERY high so they put her straight away on to insulin (which actually didn't help very much). I suggested low carb but sadly she felt she couldn't live her life happily without carbs.
I know I started with palpatations and illness on 20g carbs, 50gs too. Its finding that level which is healthy for the individuals other health problems.......I concluded. I know the body doesn't need carbs but I became ill, even after months of ridng it. I don't full understand everything about my body, to be honest. However I know thrush triggers for me.

Reactions: Diamum5972

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know I started with palpatations and illness on 20g carbs, 50gs too. Its finding that level which is healthy for the individuals other health problems.......I concluded. I know the body doesn't need carbs but I became ill, even after months of ridng it. I don't full understand everything about my body, to be honest. However I know thrush triggers for me.

But you tried and realised it wasn't for you. The girl I worked with didn't want to try because she couldn't live without her carbs - I sat opposite her in a restaurant one day (with all our service users) and she ate a large lasagne with garlic bread followed by a big chunk of gateau - and then couldn't make out why the basic dose of Lantus the DN had started her on hadn't made any difference to her BG. In fact she got so upset about the insulin not doing anything that she decided to stop testing because it upset her so much. The sad thing was she couldn't understand how so many other health issues she had were symptoms of her diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is sad. So little is understood by so many. :(
Its heartbreaking sometimes. :(

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've been doing some reading up and the Web MD page says that diabetics are more susceptible to thrush, it has several helpful hints which I've noted down along with some ideas from this thread. I'm making full use of my IT training and I've created a spreadsheet for them!

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But you tried and realised it wasn't for you. The girl I worked with didn't want to try because she couldn't live without her carbs - I sat opposite her in a restaurant one day (with all our service users) and she ate a large lasagne with garlic bread followed by a big chunk of gateau - and then couldn't make out why the basic dose of Lantus the DN had started her on hadn't made any difference to her BG. In fact she got so upset about the insulin not doing anything that she decided to stop testing because it upset her so much. The sad thing was she couldn't understand how so many other health issues she had were symptoms of her diabetes.
The funny thing is this reminds me of my brother. He's borderline diabetic and is also on the autistic spectrum, and he has a very limited diet. When we found out he was borderline he had a real problem with varying his diet because he'd been relying on carbs so much, however when I showed him the results I had from reducing my carbs (lost 1.5 stone since diagnosis and hba1c down 10%) he is now much more open to tweaking his diet

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And just to make life complicated I came on my periods this morning! Cue the hot flushes, bloated tummy and period pains :(