Diabetes and Weight Watchers

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone tried loosing weight with Weight Watchers since being diagnosed?

I do seem to be struggling with the knowing what to eat and what not, but also im not actually loosing any weight, which could mean im still eating too much and could be why my levels just arent coming down.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of following a diebetic type diet, but also going to Weight Watchers and counting the points of what you are eating?

Thanks

Claire :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Claire,

No experience of Weight Watchers but I seem to remember you mentioning a while ago that your diabetic nurse was considering starting you on medication. Did that happen, because many of the medications for diabetes have the unfortunate side effect of weight gain.

Only thing I would say about slimming clubs and point counting in general is that the points they measure by are based on the calorie content of foods, not carboyhdrate content. Some foods can be high calorie but low carb, others low calorie but high carb. In order to keep your blood sugars under control you need to concentrate on lowering you carb intake, so no harm in eating low calorie foods provided they are also low carb.

steveD

Claire,since being diagnosed T2 2 years ago,I have lost over 3 stone.All I did was cut out Trans-Fats,eat nothing that came out of a jar,tin or packet and neck as much Cis-Oil as possible.Perhaps if I was doing that in the first place then I would'nt have been in this predicament.[:0]

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dennis

No im not on medication at the moment, although when the nurse sees my meter readings on Monday that may change.

With Weight Watchers all foods are given a point value based on calories and saturated fats. Then depending on your weight you are allocated so many points a day, for example 24. Then as you loose weight and go through stone barrier you reduce your points.

I could still follow a low carb diet, depending on what carbs affect me and use weight watchers to control how much I am eating and loose weight (I have a lot to loose).

At the moment, this seems like the best approach to get over all control. I was just hoping someone on here may have had a similar experience and let me know if it is a good idea.

I also just figured that if it takes me a while to work out what carbs I can and cant eat and how many carbs to eat, that just the fact of loosing weight, might help with my levels. But this is all so new to me and my head hurts with it all.

I just want to be doing something positive that I know will work.

Claire

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Claire,

From what you have explained I would say all you have to lose by trying is weight!! Go for it.

martinbuchan

I haven't tried it ( by God I need to), but my type 1 diabetic neighbour does go to weight watchers. She is a paediatrician herself , on insulin and her HBA1C is 5.7% (the lowest has been 4.9%!!!!). She lost a stone on weight watchers and really cut down on her bolus novorapid. She really liked the WW system.

Marty B

stressedout

I went to WW for 7 months last year and only lost 8 lbs after being diagnosed with T2. Previously had lost considerable amount with WW 3 years before. I did not find help that I required though had been given the impression that I would. I dont think that just any weight loss diet is suitable. The leaders of the groups at WW are not experts in Diabetes so how can they know enough to teach us, the sufferers. More expert advice required. I am hoping to attend local diabetic centre for that. Need to lose 5 stone and cannot do it alone. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

sugar

Hi Claire,
i am T1, so I guess it's slightly different. I lost about 1/2 stone using teh weight watchers plan, but not actually going to the class. I bought their guidebook thingy, and then worked out a point controlled, but carbohydrate controlled too diet. It worked for me...but it did make my brain hurt!

LesleyB

I think the main thing that people attend weight watchers for is for the support of other members; my mum ducked in and out of weight watchers for years and her weight problem is mainly due to the lack of willpower for biscuits, and also using food for years as a comfort thing.

There is a lady in Australia called Annette Sym who has developed a series of low fat cookery books - called Symply too good to be true, she had tried many diets in the past and they had not worked, she lost 10 stone or something incredible on this plan she developed herself and her latest book (number 8 i think) includes advice for diabetics. These are in conjunctions with nutritionists etc. Her books aren't available in the UK I don't think but you should be able to find her by doing a web search.