Diabetes and Work performance

shelly456

I have type 1 diabetes for 20 years and I am a student nurse working in an extremely busy general surgical ward. As I am progressing with my training, I am getting increasing responsibility in regards to caring for my patients. Today my blood sugars were fluctuating throughout my 12 hour shift. I am under alot stress at the moment as I have alot of things going with assignments due in college, trying to achieve competancies in clinical practice, work a part time job, trying to see my boyfriend who now lives in another country, see my family and friends and study for end of year exams in May, so I've been overdoing it on the coffee, diet coke and the odd sweet to keep me going, not getting enough sleep or eating proper meals. I was so exhausted today at work I thought to myself what if I make a serious mistake at work and compromise a patient's safety because I'm not feeling my best?? My blood sugar levels were up and down all day I felt awful :( It really got me down today as it was the first time I felt like Diabetes was holding me back from something I really want to do and I just felt frustrated it was getting in the way of work! I don't need it to start acting up right now!!

Does anybody else feel that Diabetes can affect their overalll work performance?

anniep

Have you considered that stress and a workload like that would affect anybody's performance diabetic or not?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Shelly and welcome to the forum! :)

Understandably in a highly pressurized job such as nursing that diabetes could be become a problem, I've not experienced diabetes getting in the way in all my years of being type 1 but then I've never been in a position like you where I am responsible for other peoples lives which must be very stressful on its own. Reading your post it would seem you are burning the candle at both ends with trying to juggle a full-time job with long hours, studying for exams whilst trying to keep family and friends close too, in any circumstances this can lead to a burn-out and that is without diabetes!!!

Sorry I can't offer much in the way of advice, however we do have members on this forum who are nurses so they may be along later to offer some advice to you.

Nigel

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi shelly!

Please don't feel your diabetes is holding you back - you can do almost anything you want as long as you manage your diabetes properly. If you don't manage it properly you will be ill and then it really will hold you back! You MUST look after yourself! Take your breaks! You owe it to yourself and your patients to be focussed - you can only do that if you behave sensibly with regard your food and insulin intake. I know I have been guilty of trying too hard at work in an attempt to compensate for my diabetes - for example, accepting lunch-time meetings when I know I should say no because I need to eat, but feeling that everyone will judge me if I refuse and think I'm not flexible and not good at my job because I have diabetes - I think you are over-compensating now for your condition. You don't need to try so hard - look after your diabetes - you will be better at your job if you do!

Smidge

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
The fact you care and wonder if you are affecting patients safety indicates to me a sensible professional who does not neglect duty. In fact what you probably want to achieve is beyond the normal call of duty, nursing is a caring profession so I can understand you wanting to do better. However, I was in hospital for 5 weeks after an accident and trust me nurses can do no wrong! You are in a tough trade and I couldn't do it, so I'm glad of people like you who are caring and compassionate enough to do the job (I say job for want of a better word as considering all you do it can't be just the money you do it for). So thanks for being there and I'd have no qualms being treated by someone who thinks as much of the profession as you clearly do.