1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes camp

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Galen1595, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Galen1595

Galen1595 Type 1 · Member

Hi all,

I'm going to be a counselor in a cabin in 8 15 year old type ones(I'm a 23 year old type 1) for five days. What do you think are some important thing to talk with them about that might help them step up and take charge of their diabetes at that tricky age?

Best,
    Galen

• Like Like x 2
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hey that sounds like an amazing job - think you will have alot of fun !

I think at this age, it's to accept imperfection, blood glucose levels don't always play nicely, so to accept the highs and lows and to manage them accordingly but not to get down about it ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. 1abRat

1abRat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To own their Diabetes and not to just leave it all in the hands of parents and HCP's.

That bad numbers happen and not to take it personally, reflect upon the possible causes, take action and accept that sometime inexplicable things happen and you just have to move on

I know that this age group has a lot of issues with skipping injections for weight loss, particularly the young ladies. Perhaps keep an eye out for this and hopefully the camp will have something in place to deal with such concerns

Have fun! Bring earplugs/headphones!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Galen1595

Galen1595 Type 1 · Member

thanks for the responses. these are excellent points

5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I would highlight that there is no ceiling to what they can achieve with good control examples include Sir Steve Redgrave and Theresa May

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook