Diabetes complications

mrawfell

My doctor has just given me a real downer. My blood tests were showing my results were a bit up.5-6.5. However my HbA1c has been coming down and the last test about 2 weeks ago, was 4.0. So I felt confident when I went to see her. ( I have retired outside the EEC, so I have to get the test result before I go see her. ). Then she dropped the bombshell. What we call "complications" are actulally part of the disease. So I will keep my numbers down, but apparerently that only reduces the risk. Scary.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your Doc is worrying you unnecessarily. As long as you are able to keep your blood sugar e.g HBa1c in the normal region I think you will find it unlikely you will 'ever' see any of the threatened complications. I think GPs are so used to dealing with patients who ignore their diabetes or who actually listen to the silly NHS advice to stuff yourself with starchy carbs that they expect all diabetes patients to have complications.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
What we call "complications" are actulally part of the disease.
By that token, Death is a complication that is part of the disease called Life.
Chillax, just because there is a risk (0 to 100%) of complications, we just got to try to minimise it and get on with our life :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Yes as long as you keep you blood sugars under control you will be fine. Its when people constantly have highs and don't control there diabetes thats when the complications set in

tracey167