1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes complications

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by mrawfell, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mrawfell

mrawfell · Well-Known Member

My doctor has just given me a real downer. My blood tests were showing my results were a bit up.5-6.5. However my HbA1c has been coming down and the last test about 2 weeks ago, was 4.0. So I felt confident when I went to see her. ( I have retired outside the EEC, so I have to get the test result before I go see her. ). Then she dropped the bombshell. What we call "complications" are actulally part of the disease. So I will keep my numbers down, but apparerently that only reduces the risk. Scary.

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I think your Doc is worrying you unnecessarily. As long as you are able to keep your blood sugar e.g HBa1c in the normal region I think you will find it unlikely you will 'ever' see any of the threatened complications. I think GPs are so used to dealing with patients who ignore their diabetes or who actually listen to the silly NHS advice to stuff yourself with starchy carbs that they expect all diabetes patients to have complications.

3. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What we call "complications" are actulally part of the disease.
    By that token, Death is a complication that is part of the disease called Life.
    Chillax, just because there is a risk (0 to 100%) of complications, we just got to try to minimise it and get on with our life :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. Tracey167

Tracey167 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Yes as long as you keep you blood sugars under control you will be fine. Its when people constantly have highs and don't control there diabetes thats when the complications set in

tracey167

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook